My introduction

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zephyr

Reaction score
I've been lurking for awhile as noted by my join date. I'm living on family owned land in a mobile home. Someday it will be sold and I'll have to find another place to live. Living cheaply in a van is appealing since I'm 71 and living on retirement income that isn't keeping up with inflation. So many different ways to handle my future. I enjoy reading the Newbie posts and learning from them. The CRL forum is a wonderful source of information.

Welcome Zephyr to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

Welcome to posting on the forums, Zephyr - like you I could say my retirement income isn't fully meeting my needs, and I see vandwelling as a great opportunity to own my own home and travel and live frugally all at one time. I think I'm ready to make the change.

Thanks for the welcomes. Not being able to live on the farm has been hanging over me for about five years. I have a '87 Chevy 4wd pickup that might make to to Arizona and back. It has either 102,000 or 202,000 on it. I'm going to search for a truck topper. It'll be better than sleeping in a tent. While motorcycle camping, I've had several bad nights in a tent. Those times made me wish I was in a something that I could dry out in and stay dry while traveling. When I was in my twenties I had a 1970 VW van (motor blew) and a 1975 Chevy bare bones delivery van. I enjoyed traveling and sleeping them. I realized later that I had made a mistake when I sold it.

Well it is another day... can't go back to the past, so we travel forward looking for new adventure, no matter how old we are. I'm 66 and expect to make a van my permanent home for as long as I can still drive. Suits me fine... I just have to downsize on possessions so I can live the minimalist van-sized life.

We are the same age, Travelaround, and you are spot on about this being the best way to retire frugally. I hope to save a large portion of the ss check each month towards the emergency fund for vehicle maintenance and repair. I, too, plan to live this life style as long as I am able. It seems so much better than being parked in front of a tv in a studio apartment!

Yes, well . . . I have a nice apartment, but travel is where my heart is at. It is a choice I must make, to downsize and detach from this place.

staying high and dry is a key thing for us, I so get ya on that!
when we tent camped we had one too many nights with us and everything soaked from huge storms, loved the tenting, but one day we wanted high and dry and never went back :)
You do have a lot of options to hit the open road and enjoy this great big country on your own terms. I hope to hear you are going to take that leap and go for it! best of luck

Thanks for the encouragement RoamerRV428. I have four tents of various sizes, two with standing room and all the necessary equipment to live in a tent. All are good tents. But I know better now. I intend to have the quick mobility and security of a van. That's a true luxury compared to traveling on a motorcycle. When I got of the army in 1971, I traveled in a Datsun sedan with all but the driver's seat removed. I custom cut a piece of plywood for the passenger side so I could stretch out and sleep on it. That's not a solution anymore. A van is perfect for a combination long term home and transportation. In the meantime I'm planning on learning nomad craft in my paid for pickup.

This is a wonderful source of information. And the patience of bob the van dweller! So, in the beginning there was camping, then the A frame camper now just me and my new 5' x 8' cargo trailer. Being newly retired at 65, (my choice) and starting my travels without my partner in crime.   Cancer is in every damn corner of all of our lives.....   So onward. I am currently building out my cargo trailer. I love my truck. Don't care for the big camper stuff, there it is. Funny thing, it is working for me so far. The refrigerator was the best thing ever! ARB 50 quart colder than snot! That decision was 2 months of "heavy investigation". Thanks folks, are all helping me keeping up my smile. Later, trampus.

Trampus52, I believe you have a good combination. With a truck topper for storage and the cargo trailer for living, You have it covered. I like it.

A friend who is very earnest about getting out of her apartment and living cheaper by boondocking, worries that a cargo trailer could be stolen. I'm guessing thievery it's most possible when the trailer is left at the campsite when you to go to town for supplies. Do you have a way handling that? Maybe never unhooking?

Zephyr said:
Trampus52, I believe you have a good combination. With a truck topper for storage and the cargo trailer for living, You have it covered. I like it.

A friend who is very earnest about getting out of her apartment and living cheaper by boondocking, worries that a cargo trailer could be stolen. I'm guessing thievery it's most possible when the trailer is left at the campsite when you to go to town for supplies. Do you have a way handling that? Maybe never unhooking?
As a general rule, I have a habit of not unhitching if I can help it. (I camp out in the forest of Northern Az. think forest fires...when the snow leaves.) I keep my "food stores" up and have plenty of water and gas for the generator as needed. So I try to stay stocked up before I go off road. Also I keep my hitch locked and keep a locking boot for security if I have to leave the trailer. One thing I can do is run a chain thru the rims and lock it up from underneath. I have a bed and refrigerator in my 5 x 8 and soon my puppy will join me! :D

Zephyr said:
Thanks for the welcomes. Not being able to live on the farm has been hanging over me for about five years. I have a '87 Chevy 4wd pickup that might make to to Arizona and back. It has either 102,000 or 202,000 on it. I'm going to search for a truck topper. It'll be better than sleeping in a tent. While motorcycle camping, I've had several bad nights in a tent. Those times made me wish I was in a something that I could dry out in and stay dry while traveling. When I was in my twenties I had a 1970 VW van (motor blew) and a 1975 Chevy bare bones delivery van. I enjoyed traveling and sleeping them. I realized later that I had made a mistake when I sold it.

I drive an '86 Chevy 3/4 ton PU,4x4 with a new engine installed years ago. I have been in new trucks and they are way tooo quiet. 266,000 miles and counting. My steering and front end have been reconditioned a year back and it is a stick shift on the floor. Love it...

Latest posts