My first ride in Prius today

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrNoodly

Reaction score
The taxi I called today was a Prius. I don't know which year or model it was. Second or third generation, maybe the one that's more like a wagon. 

The roof was higher than I expected and it felt quite roomy in back. As I rode I looked around imagining living out of one, like some people I know. Hmmm, remove the front passenger seat and rear seats... That would probably be long enough for 6-foot me to stretch out... Storage along the driver side with least used things under the bed platform... Fit the house batteries and fridge in there somewhere...

No decisions made, just info to file away in case the van gives up the ghost someday.

I'm 6 feet and it sounds like you rode in a V. There's no need to take out the front seat. I can stretch out in the back seat and not hit the hatch with my legs. It's nice being able to have the ability to have the heat or ac option.

too small for us but I do that with other vehicles I see that are bigger...like a bigger box van etc. I see I think of how I would build it out :) a car, nope, a car dwelling won't be in our future ever....but it is cool you are pretend building out vehicles :) :)

My daily driver is a Prius, and I have played around with configuring it for camping.  It is too small for my 6'-plus husband and I to use for more than a few days, but is surprisingly roomy with no need to take seats out.  Note: The hatch door cannot easily be opened from inside.  You can fix that with a simple modification, but you definitely need to!

Drove a V for several years, not car dwelling, loved it. As much interior room as most SUV's.

Back seat of Prius covers the high voltage battery don't think you could take it out.

I have the regular sized Prius and have camped out it several times. I'm 6'-1" and easily fit without taking out any seats. Slide both front seats forward, put a box or storage tubs in the footwell and lay out your mattress. I also bring a tent. The tent is the living room and the car is my bedroom. Works great for a couple of weeks of camping, but I would not want to live that way.

Any full-size pickup or van with a rear wheel drive train can be easily converted to an electric motor. There's a shop here that does conversions it's about 5,000 bucks for a basic setup with enough batteries to give you a hundred mile range

So look at it this way if your van needs a new engine or transmission or other expensive repair then you should consider just tossing the gas drivetrain and converting to Electric

For anyone in the market for a prius...this goes over problems some year models.