My current setup (solar, controller, etc)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmel

Reaction score
my setup:

I'm using an old 1990 G20 mid-high top conversion van as a camping/bugout/rc airplane hanger/beater to drive to work vehicle.
On top, is a pair of 100w panels (200w total) mounted to a gutter-mount van ladder rack with custom extensions built from steel (a friend made these for me, using the existing rack as templates).

There is also an inexpensive vent mounted to the fiberglass top.

Inside, I ripped out the bed and seats in the back, and put in a folding (lengthwise) steel frame bed. There are no "slats" so I used some 3/4 plywood. I need to drill holes I guess for ventilation. I've not done this yet.

On top of that is a 4 inch memory foam mattress, that folds into a sort of loveseat. Very comfortable. Wife slept on it for hours as a "test" when I first got it :).

For the solar setup, I use a Double Pole Single Throw switch. It's like something out of a monster movie - it has a lever you move from one set of contacts to the other, which allows current to flow from the solar panels to the controller.

The controller is a Morningstar sunsaver duo. I chose this, because I do not use a battery isolator up front on the alternator (maybe this will change). The contoller serves 10% of it's solar power to the starting battery, and 90% to the house battery. When the starting battery is full, it gives 100% to the house battery. Pretty cool. It is rated for 25 amps, am my panels maybe generate 7-11 amps, so I've got room to grow.

I just installed 2 100ah batteries in parallel. They are Ocean brand off ebay. Got them for 300 for the pair new. Each weighs 65 lbs. I also kept my old battery pack, a pair of 35 ah batteries in parallel. I will probably retain this as "emergency" power. I fly rc planes and use this van as a transport, so I can also use it to charge and discharge batteries.

Nice thing about the rc charger I use, is that it allows you to "remove" amps from the rc plane batteries and put them back into a larger battery. This is called "regenerative discharge". You can throw 15 amps back into a larger battery with no issues. And since the charger is a 'smart charger', it lessens the amps as voltage climbs.

Next, I set up a dometic cc-40us fridge. Works great so far! Eats up 5 amps when it cuts on, and only runs for a few minutes at a time. On average, it looks like it eats up about 10-12 amp hours each 24 hour period. I've got it set on 32 right now.

There is only a 200w inverter that I keep off most of the time unless I want to turn on the tv for some reason. I kept everything very low wattage so that the batteries will really last a while.

I also have a big buddy heater I plan to use for camping on cold nights, and my plan is to run it at high for about 10 mins until van is nice and toasty, and then switch to pilot light if I go to sleep. While running it, I plan to open side windows a bit, and then open the top vent, where I have a 150 cfm pc case fan mounted. I've not mounted it yet, as there is a speed controller I bought off ebay for about 5 bucks that will allow me to control the fan speed and direction. Seems cheaper than a vortex 2... though I don't think it will push as much air (or be nearly as loud).

That's it so far. I do have plans to add another couple of flexible poly 50w panels to the roof for 300w total solar. I'm still on the fence about it, but I have room I think for 4 of these on the roof if needed, to total 400w.

Hopefully this makes sense, and seems logical, and if anyone has any thoughts or questions, or suggestions, please post away.

RC airplanes? I hope we meet up because it looks like my RC collection isn't going to sell again this year so it's going with me to Arizona. The planes are one reason I miss my vans because I could put a 10 ft wingspan bird in there ready to fly.

My only question on your system is what is the back up means of charging? 200 watts is kind of on the weak side when you have a fridge depending on it.

Backup is shore power or generator at the moment. I got a great deal on a powermate 2000 inverter generator (325 new), and the rc battery charger works on all types of batteries - so I tested a setup over the weekend where I pump 15 amps of 12v from it into the house batteries. I can do this by using the starter battery once the van is started and being kept up by the alternator, or, the 70 amp hour backup battery (in a hurry) or by using a 12v server power supply capable of supplying 45 amps, and plugged into 110 power (shore power or generator).

I am a bit concerned about 200w not being enough, but I have to be honest, that fridge is sipping power at the moment, so for now, I feel okay about the longevity of the setup. For me, since I don't live in the van, I can turn the fridge off when not needed, and use a cooler if it's just for a few days... but I wanted to have a nice setup if I had to be without power for a week or so as well.

As far as planes :)

I fly foam electric, usually around the 1100-1400mm wingspan range. 3s and 4s powered. My pride and joy is a 6 foot wingspan (close to it) 'penguin' that I fly FPV. I've had some awesome times with this plane, and it can fly for an hour. I can't imagine what fun it would be to fly a 10ft bird!

I wish I could fly in Arizona. The company I work for has a place out in Mesa, and I've always wanted to either take my telescope or my FPV plane there for a few days, but timing has never worked out.

I flew gas RC back in the 80's and still have some of the planes and radios...

In fact I started on a little .049 glow fuel control-line plane when I was maybe 7 or 8 years old back in the mid 60's...it even had a 'spring starter'!

Memories!

I wish I could have had some when I was younger, but the cost was out of reach. Now - you can get amazing things for great prices. The transmitter I use was about a hundred dollars, and does things that transmitters costing 3x as much still can't do.

The tech is really amazing.

That's why I like the battery charger I'm using so much. You can charge NiMH, NiCd, LiPo, lead acid... and it's very small and works great. Yes, it's only good to about 15 amps, but that's perfect for just about everything I've used it for. It is actually a 300w charger, but that is only for 24v systems. I think the wire gauge is kinda small to push it past 250w or so.

I even use the 4s batteries to power my QRP ham radio. A 5.2ah 4s battery will last several hours.

I got a Cox CL P 40 flying tiger just about the time Black Sheep Squadron came out. It was okay on the line but I dreamed of RC. I finally got a RC plane in 91 and flew 2-3 times a week for 15 years. You wouldn't think a tiny 049 was that loud until you start it in the house.

Jmel,

Been flying RC since 1968 when I was a kid and still at it. All electric now. We have a nice public flying field site here in Chandler that we call the chandler bowl but it is actually a retention basin but it is one of the few city sponsored flying sites in the country. No clubs or AMA required. Next time you are town, stop by! It is located between Chandler Blvd and Ray Rd. just east of the 101 fwy. Nice group of people and everybody knows me as the same moniker as I use here. You can reach me via PM here. BTW, mostly into sailplanes and slow flyers these days but did compete back in the 70's flying FAI patten.

-Mike

jimindenver said:
I got a Cox CL P 40 flying tiger just about the time Black Sheep Squadron came out. It was okay on the line but I dreamed of RC. I finally got a RC plane in 91 and flew 2-3 times a week for 15 years. You wouldn't think a tiny 049 was that loud until you start it in the house.

Awesome! Yeah, I've had a few planes run in the house before and luckily didn't wake my wife. I'm glad electrics are a little quieter :)

DangerBird said:
Jmel,

Been flying RC since 1968 when I was a kid and still at it. All electric now. We have a nice public flying field site here in Chandler that we call the chandler bowl but it is actually a retention basin but it is one of the few city sponsored flying sites in the country. No clubs or AMA required. Next time you are town, stop by! It is located between Chandler Blvd and Ray Rd. just east of the 101 fwy. Nice group of people and everybody knows me as the same moniker as I use here.  You can reach me via PM here.  BTW, mostly into sailplanes and slow flyers these days but did compete back in the 70's flying FAI patten.

-Mike

Great! Yeah, I dunno the next time I'll be out there, but I was just amazed at the great scenery. I checked out the air museum in Mesa when I was there last time, and would have loved to go up in the bomber they were offering rides in... just no time.

I'm glad to hear no club or AMA - I'm not really super excited with the AMA to be honest, but that's for another thread.

Nothing wrong with slow flyers or sailplanes. One of my favorite planes now is the Tundra. I love flying it at a walking pace with full flaps. I've also got a P51 Mustang, a Corsair, a GeeBee, an F18 (ducted fan), and a Reno Racer - a Rare Bear. The FPV stuff is just so much fun though that it's usually what I fly now. I'm really blessed to live near a huge field that I can just drive across the street to. Though that Rare Bear is a bit stressful to fly there. Just way too fast for me. It was an anniversary present from my wife, and it's a cool plane, but I always get nervous flying it.

If I ever get back into RC airplanes (flew for about 15 years) I'd probably just go with a semi-scale Piper Cub maybe 60 size. Great slow flyer and those big tires makes it easier to take off and land on rough surfaces. Most of the clubs I was involved with were big into pylon racing or 1/4 scale fly-ins. I just liked easy comfortable stuff with NO competition. My favorite airplane was a Goldberg Tiger 60 with a K&B engine. Soooo easy to fly and very responsive. Best memory was buying a Fox 35 from Duke himself at an Atlanta R/C convention.

Assuming I am taking mine with me, I have three planes ready to go. My trusty World trainer with a FP 40 and buddy box. A 60 size Shoestring with a Sato 91 and a built up funfly something like a hotts with a OS 46. That will be enough to get my feet wet again.

jmel,

Very cool! We recently did a flight with the CAF on the C47 with my friend Larry as the Captain!(rented the airplane for fellow Chandler Bowl Model Flyers) Also, a very distinguished GA pilot and retired airline captian with 50K+ hours in the air and more type ratings than you can shake a stick at!(mine just says "airplane single engine land) He recently retired from flying but flew the CAF B17, Sentimental Journey and the C47 for many years and is also a RC flying friend. I have been up with him in many aircraft including a P-51 Mustang, Ford Tri Motor, Beech 18, several Helicoptors and so on! He has a Tundra and he asked me to fly it last week and it is a nice flying model (I like alot of elevator authority) and his was pretty mild in the elevator dept. but a nice flying bird! I sent you a PM with my cell# so next time you are in the area, please feel free to ping me. We live just west of Stellar Airpark, P19.

-Mike

Two things, I to fly RC, been doing it since 1965 here in the Los Angeles area, the other is I use a 110VAC Bar fridge I bought from wally world. Even though I run it off an inverter it two seems to sip the juice in my setup. I run 2- 120Watt panels on two Trojan T-105 Batteries. When the sunny sun is good, I can go for days on end with no big loss on the batteries.

Certainly wouldn't last through several days of clouds and or other loss of sun. I would need to switch to shore/gen power.

MIke R

P.S. Do we need a Model airplane thread>? :) All things RC?

MikeRuth said:
Two things, I to fly RC, been doing it since 1965 here in the Los Angeles area, the other is I use a 110VAC Bar fridge I bought from wally world. Even though I run it off an inverter it two seems to sip the juice in my setup. I run 2- 120Watt panels on two Trojan T-105 Batteries. When the sunny sun is good, I can go for days on end with no big loss on the batteries.

Certainly wouldn't last through several days of clouds and or other loss of sun. I would need to switch to shore/gen power.

MIke R

P.S. Do we need a Model airplane thread>? :) All things RC?

Yeah, I might create one in the hobbies section. I didn't get a lot of feedback on the ham radio stuff, so maybe that is more of a conversation starter :)

As far as the batteries...

I have two 100a watt meters used for RC and other things. These are a really common design with a 2 line blue lcd display. Shows watt hours, amp hours, etc etc.

One is sourced by the solar controller to the battery for "amps in" and one is sourced by the battery to my power pole distribution center for "amps out".

At 9:30 am yesterday, I had a what I thought was a fully charged battery, and after "resetting" the devices by unplugging and plugging back in the watt meters,  I saw .1 ah into the battery, and .08 taken out. I figured everything was working and so I left it parked in the sun.

Today, around 11:00 am, I have 17.029 ah into the battery and 13.664 ah taken from it. Again, sunny weather.

The dometic is set to 32 degrees, and a laser thermometer shows it to be around 35 inside. I just have some bottled water in there now for testing, and it's not completely jam packed full.

At 11 today, the battery must be full, as when the fridge was cutting on at around 11:05, the amp draw was about 4.5 amps, and the solar controller was only feeding the battery like 4.65 or something. As soon as the fridge cut off, the solar controller reduced the amps into the battery to like .25 amps or something low like that (didn't write it down).

So... it seems like this setup is working, and since the dometic sips the amps, I might be in good shape. However, I have one of those tk15 coloumb counters coming in the mail, so I'll get to see some different data than the way I've rigged everything now. Dunno what I'll learn from it... but hopefully it will be that this setup works as intended. If there is ever an imbalance at the end of afternoon, when the sun has gone down, I would think that this means I wasn't able to recover the amps eaten by the fridge, and that I'll have to supplement with shore power charging at 15a or something similar for 5 hours or so.