My Cat Enclosures

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abnorm

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm preparing to launch my new adventure...........I thought I'd share actual photos of my Cat Enclosures.......I've posted links to these products in other threads but thought some comparison photos might be helpful to someone else..........These are all available online from Drs Foster and Smith .............you may find similar products cheaper elsewhere?......YMMV

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3261+28595+22277&pcatid=22277

Here's the entire group of products folded for storage...........nice small packages............

Group Closed.jpg

Less than 5 minutes later..........Here's the whole group Open-for-Business............The Octagons and the Fun Run use spring steel to snap into shape........the Happy Habitat uses folding poly poles for it's instant set-up

Group Open.jpg

This is the 36" octagon......While I'm sitting next to them I often leave the top slightly unzipped to offer a little "Kitty-Lovin" to my two Fur Buddies.........They like these the best with the solid floor........OF COURSE the front door would be zipped Closed !

Large Octagon.jpg

Here's the Happy Habitat without the optional Fun Run............Notice the "floor" is mesh and my guys get a little "freaked" about walking around on it......I usually place a square of carpet inside so they have a place to stand without their claws snagging the mesh.........Altho they do like to nibble the grass that pokes thru the floor....who doesn't like a little grass !

Happy Habitat.jpg

And here's a shot you've seen before of the cats in the stroller......They're not much for walking on the leash so I figure I need some safe way of moving them around the camp with me..........It does fold to about half-size but awkward shaped.................... I'm replacing my passenger seat with this set-up fulltime

Stroller cats.jpg

Well thanks for watching and I hope to meet you all out on the road soon.....................doug

Attachments

• Large Octagon.jpg
    Large Octagon.jpg
    288.7 KB
  • Group Closed.jpg
    Group Closed.jpg
    292.3 KB
  • Group Open.jpg
    Group Open.jpg
    306.8 KB
  • Happy Habitat.jpg
    Happy Habitat.jpg
    324.5 KB
  • Stroller cats.jpg
    Stroller cats.jpg
    296.6 KB
How much did all that cost?

I'm looking for a person-type mesh pop-up tent with a floor for outdoor cat storage and safety.

TrainChaser said:
How much did all that cost?

I'm looking for a person-type mesh pop-up tent with a floor for outdoor cat storage and safety.

.............about $200 for all the "tents"......that stroller is about $170..............I've read you have been looking but I've never seen exactly that

slynne said:
You must have the happiest cats on the planet!

Thanks......they're options for different circumstances.....I figure I can always peddle any "extras"............I promised my wife !

I saw an RV that had mounted a crate, the metal wire type that folds flat, on the outside of a window (probably above the booth dinette table?). It was mounted like one of those portable propane grills that the factory installs on the side of an RV, on a track ( I don't know what to call it). When they parked, they slipped the crate on, opened the window, and their kitty could go out into the crate at will. It was several feet off the ground so safe from other varmints.

I was walking my dog and there was the kitty, lying there in the fresh air, looking down its nose as the rest of the world went by. Too cute and really clever! Wish I had a picture.

I was an Escapee before I found CRVL.............their pet forums have photos and info about traveling with Kitty and enclosure ideas.......It's where I found about all the different mesh products I purchased.........here's a photo I lifted:

CatHouse2_zps4982c5a8.jpg

That example is made by one of the members and disassembles for travel

Here's the thread:

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?/topic/112076-outdoor-enclosures-for-cats/&

I am soon going to be traveling, along with my much loved pets...one dog/2 cats/3 rabbits.    All of them are indoor pets, but they are used to a lot of space, and this will drastically change when we're living on the road.  While the dog can go hiking and spend a lot of time outside with me, I also want to create a safe situation so that the cats and rabbits can also safely spend some time outside together (they all get along perfectly),as well.

I have two cage cage options that I will bring with me.   Both are sturdy metal/secure/ fold relatively flat and take up a small amount of space when not needed outside.    

The first enclosure is made from wire storage cubes sections, which can be found at Walmart/target/etc...and are securely held together with zip ties or wire.  You can make these storage cube enclosures any size, and with both floor and a top. 
IMG_0172.JPG

The second is a wire dog crate.  I will use an extra large size, which is tall enough to add several levels/shelves for both the rabbit and the cats to relax on, similar to the storage cube enclosure in the other picture. 
IMG_0169.JPG
This type of a cage can be placed on the ground, on a picnic table,table, etc. ( The one I have is much larger than this).
IMG_0171.JPG

Either of these enclosures will allow me to let the cats and rabbits outside, so that they can get some fresh air and take in the scenery as we travel... while also keeping them safe and secure.   The larger dog crate, specifically, is also very important to have with you in case you need to remove your multiple pets from your vehicle for any reason, or if they need to be temporarily confined in the vehicle (at a repair shop,if you have guests frequently coming in and out of your vehicle,in case of emergency,etc).    I also suggest bringing along a small collapsible, soft sided carrying case if you have a small dog, cat or other small animal...they take up almost no space and are a must have for vet visits.
:shy:

Attachments

• IMG_0172.JPG
    IMG_0172.JPG
    93.7 KB
  • IMG_0169.JPG
    IMG_0169.JPG
    31.5 KB
  • IMG_0171.JPG
    IMG_0171.JPG
    227.9 KB
I will be traveling with 5 cats, so Im on the lookout for anything that can enhance their experience in a somewhat smaller area.

Just a word of warning for any planning on putting enclosures/cages on the ground to not get too complacent and/or leave animals unattended/supervised because I've seen and heard of several instances where loose dogs or wildlife have dug/torn through the weakest points to get at unprotected pets...

Bob's latest video interview has a nice couple... Jim and Annie...who travel in a 5er with two FAT cats............

They have built a "Catio".................A Cat Patio..........a wood framed metal-mesh cage that connects to the "basement" storage for their cats to safely enjoy the outdoors

abnorm said:
I'm preparing to launch my new adventure...........I thought I'd share actual photos of my Cat Enclosures.......I've posted links to these products in other threads but thought some comparison photos might be helpful to someone else..........These are all available online from Drs Foster and Smith .............you may find similar products cheaper elsewhere?......YMMV

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3261+28595+22277&pcatid=22277

Here's the entire group of products folded for storage...........nice small packages............

Less than 5 minutes later..........Here's the whole group Open-for-Business............The Octagons and the Fun Run use spring steel to snap into shape........the Happy Habitat uses folding poly poles for it's instant set-up

This is the 36" octagon......While I'm sitting next to them I often leave the top slightly unzipped to offer a little "Kitty-Lovin" to my two Fur Buddies.........They like these the best with the solid floor........OF COURSE the front door would be zipped Closed !

Here's the Happy Habitat without the optional Fun Run............Notice the "floor" is mesh and my guys get a little "freaked" about walking around on it......I usually place a square of carpet inside so they have a place to stand without their claws snagging the mesh.........Altho they do like to nibble the grass that pokes thru the floor....who doesn't like a little grass !

And here's a shot you've seen before of the cats in the stroller......They're not much for walking on the leash so I figure I need some safe way of moving them around the camp with me..........It does fold to about half-size but awkward shaped.................... I'm replacing my passenger seat with this set-up fulltime

Well thanks for watching and I hope to meet you all out on the road soon.....................doug
Abnorm, thanks for the link and pics.  Can you tell me how to upload pics here?

In a nutshell....Use the NEW REPLY button for your post....BROWSE to find the pics on your computer.....ATTACH to send them to this site.........Click where you want them to post in your message and use the INSERT button.....use the PREVIEW button to check the placement (scroll down and make corrections) and when OK........hit  POST REPLY     good luck doug

PS......It's been suggested to just use a NAME instead of QUOTE REPLY..........to help those using phone apps to read messages.......(avoiding long messages oft repeated in replies)

GEEZ...............it sounds like I actually know how to do this..........EDIT allows you to make corrections for ONLY about 15 mins after final posting

I am just wondering how many cats do you have right now?, as I can see that you bought a bunch of cages.

Some nice ideas here.  All you need to add is the right sign:

Please.jpg

Attachments

• Please.jpg
    Please.jpg
    179.8 KB
Carlex...........just two..............they are options for different set-ups.............I am their slave

OP.............That's so true..........I want one of those signs !

doug

Latest posts