My Build Log

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pseudo_mccoy

Reaction score
It's been nearly a year since I started and she's held together well. Figured I'd finally share what I did, the good and the bad.

Meet Sheila here.
Hi-resolution version here.

You have a functional set up there. I like that you can fasten all kinds of stuff to that mesh backboard. Very clever! Are you going to be doing more stuff?

Thanks, glad you dig it. And yup, I sure hope to do more.

Developing embedded systems with tiny, $35 micro computers is at the top of my list. I can't program or do anything fancy, but I recently started collaborating with a few other nerds over at /r/vandwellers. We've come up with some ideas like an automatic CO vent, distributed sensor arrays to measure the effectiveness of insulation, and a motion activated security camera with IR capability.

I'm also experimenting with making cargo nets out of paracord to better secure things. Once I find some chain link fence, I may line parts of the interior with it. I think that'll make the walls and ceilings much more useful.

This summer I took a bunch of cord with me and I was going to make a cargo net for my cabover area but I didn't get to it. I dried some bamboo from the back yard to use for end pieces so I could get it all the right size and shape, and my van gal pal Nelda told me about using strong Command strip hooks for the upper corners so I don't have to drill into my hi-top. 'Spensive little buggers they are!!!

Not a dead project, though - it's all in the van and I can get it out any time and play with it. I did make a magnetized window screen. That was pretty fun. One down, three to go.

did you see the vid of that paratrooper who caught a ho!e invader trying to get in hia house with ir cameras.. beat him and held him till cops came. made me really consider that kinda setup on my van.

Looks good! You did it to fit your needs, and that's what matters[emoji4]
I personally wouldn't use great stuff. Maybe you can check a spot where you sprayed it to see if it's doing any damage to the metal[emoji26], but hope not[emoji106][emoji4]

Sassypickins - Glad to hear there's someone else interested in making cargo nets. Maybe among those of us who are interested, we can figure out how to make the best nets possible : ) If you ever decide to have another go at it, please drop by my thread. I'd love to see what you come up with.

I've wanted to make stuff with bamboo for a long time. That's cool you have access to some. By 'end pieces' do you mean like, a frame for constructing the net? I thought I was going to have to make some, but have gotten along fine without. I think it would help to have frames, but my goal was to develop a technique that requires as little tools/workspace as possible. As for the command strip hooks, in one of my pictures you can see where I tried to use a couple to hold a net/basket to one of my walls. And yea, way too expensive for little pieces of plastic. Unfortunately, my walls are bumpy FRB, so it ended up not sticking very well.

A magnetized window screen is definitely also on my list! I have the screen, but no magnets. Do you have a picture/link on how you make yours?

Dazar – That video was amazing! Such suspense. Much pain. I usually avoid youtube comments like the plague, but the top one here was spot on: “Interesting choice of music. Never had the urge to drink a margarita and burn one while watching a fight!" : D

But seriously, good for Mr. Wronghouse and props to him for having cameras rolling. There's no saying what the thief could have claimed. The idea of having van mounted IR camera(s) is a no-brainer to me. Sadly my brain just doesn't seem up to the task of correctly configuring my Raspberry Pi (I had it almost-working but might have screwed it up with a firmware update). You're a techie right? If you're interested, I'd be stoked to work with you on this.

Defensive surveillance also dovetails nicely with my concern over police abuse, but that's another topic.

Luis – Thanks! But I'm nervous now... I read somewhere (maybe your thread) that Great Stuff causes rust when in direct contact with metal but haven't found a lot of info on it. I've been meaning to really do some digging on this so thanks for the motivation. I'll be keeping an eye on potential trouble spots.

great stuff foam that is sold in several hardware stores is open cell foam and will hold moisture like a sponge. I have seen it happen as have some on this forum. sorry about the news but that's the way it is. highdesertranger

@ Pseudo McCoy - the bamboo is for the vertical edges - about 20" high, sort of like a tiny hammock turned sideways. My vision isn't fully formed but I thought it might help prevent total tangling when I loosen one side and hang it by the other side to roust around up in there.

The screen is just mosquito net bordered by white duct tape folded over with 1/4" magnets (that are pretty strong for their size) tucked inside every 6" or so. Hard to see in the photo but I had to go around the mirror. I forget now who else posted one just like this - we look like twins.
window screen.jpg

Attachments

• window screen.jpg
    window screen.jpg
    335.6 KB · Views: 25
depends on how much humidity your getting on the inside of your vehicle. it usually takes about 5 years but this is on vehicles that are not lived in. I have no experience with vehicles that are lived in but I can't see it being better. once moisture gets in that stuff it's impossible to get out. it's to bad to, because it really does a great job of filling hard to get to voids. highdesertranger

I was a techie once, but ive been kinda getting back to a more simplistic mindset/philosophy. I still use tech, but it doesn't fascinate me like it used to, when i kept up with every new thing out there. im afraid my knowledge on just about anything would be dated. you did tempt me to go to reddit tho and look :p

Assuming you want your rear glass permanently blocked, black spray paint on the inside appears like limo tint from the outside.

I used magnetic flex strip on the window screens. It has one adhesive side.

@ Pseudo McCoy. Love the van! Definitely a unique interior the way you have it set up.

Quick question: How did you attach those furring strips on the ceiling? I see that you used duct tape for a friction fit, but did you screw them on and if so... how?

One Awesome Inch - Thanks! I love Sheila too, but we're in an open relationship so it's cool with me if you love her as well.

Wish I had a better answer for you. Here's what I could come up with for now.

IMG_20141128_224407.jpg

There's a tiny gap between the support rib and the ceiling. I cut my hex screws (a bad choice in hindsight. I should have gone with a lower profile screw to avoid interference with the coroplast) just long enough to gain purchase on the ribs while not poking through the ceiling.

Hope this helps, but I'm not sure it will. I'd be happy to take additional pictures if you'd like.

Attachments

• IMG_20141128_224407.jpg
    IMG_20141128_224407.jpg
    531.1 KB · Views: 21
So we are talking mere millimetres of bite then.

Thanks very much for the explanation! :D