My ambo...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every Road Leads Home said:
A worthy roommate if I ever did see one.

You can say that again! I have wanted a KLR 250 for ages!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice ambo rig! I'm very jealous! One could have a hard time finding a better bed partner! hahahaha!

I tried a bumper hitch for my 320 pound Suzuki Dr650.
It operated with four persistent problems:
1) "Jumped around" a bit because of the slack between the hitch and mount. I tried many fixes but wasn't satisfied with any. Caused some rub marks on the van.
2) Obscured my license plate and brake lights....according to the Navajo National Police and the California Highway Patrol. This evidently is highly illegal. 
3) I had to unload the bike to open my rear door. 
3) Was a bit slow/awkward in loading/unloading compared to a small trailer.

Your experiences may differ..........a trailer does add some complexity to travel.

Happy Trails!
Chuck

Attachments

• 012 Steam train & camper, Silverton, CO.jpg
    012 Steam train & camper, Silverton, CO.jpg
    432.6 KB · Views: 11
If they still made KLR250s I would have bought one, instead of the Suxuki DR200S.

The most trouble free motorcycle I ever owned was a 1981 Kawasaki 440 B1. Traded it in for a BMW R65. Should have stayed with the Kawa.

Baloo, the inside of amblo looks like the inside of my cargo trailer when on the road. A bed down each side and a KLR 650 in the middle. My dog is not impressed when one of the boys is with me and he has to sleep on the floor between the front wheel and the side door.

While I'd love to I carry a mocycle on *my ambu, the above issues preclude it-- at this year's RTR, I rode two electric bicycles that may suit-- one a strong, folding 750mW@36V RadMini. Tho it weighed 60lbs(!), folded, it could fit inside or in an outside compartment, and was strong enough to haul my a$$. (Thanks Steve W!)
The newest Trek is 250 mW @36V.
No, its not a motorcycle (sigh), but doable.

Qdini said:
Nice ambo rig! I'm very jealous! One could have a hard time finding a better bed partner! hahahaha!

I tried a bumper hitch for my 320 pound Suzuki Dr650.
It operated with four persistent problems:
1) "Jumped around" a bit because of the slack between the hitch and mount. I tried many fixes but wasn't satisfied with any. Caused some rub marks on the van.
2) Obscured my license plate and brake lights....according to the Navajo National Police and the California Highway Patrol. This evidently is highly illegal. 
3) I had to unload the bike to open my rear door. 
3) Was a bit slow/awkward in loading/unloading compared to a small trailer.

Your experiences may differ..........a trailer does add some complexity to travel.

Happy Trails!
Chuck

I will more than likely either make a front mount or fabricate a swing away mount for the rear, like a really big spare tire carrier to support the KLR. I really have no intention of getting a trailer, the Ambo is big enough as it is... I have been drawing up a few ideas, it will be something overbuilt for no apparent reason.

Made use of the Dutch over set this weekend.

The campmaid set is just plain awesome!

b841f1e17a7295933c32e073a66b1bd1.jpg

ead56f98630175e052db9f7ddc5f2e55.jpg

e754691ca85190ce7f43598b032d5a11.jpg

Then had to come up with somewhere to store the charcoal.

fe7e83765226d1cbe5082cf3b90dd1c5.jpg

masterplumber said:
Baloo, the inside of amblo looks like the inside of my cargo trailer when on the road. A bed down each side and a KLR 650 in the middle. My dog is not impressed when one of the boys is with me and he has to sleep on the floor between the front wheel and the side door.

I absolutely loved my KLR 650, but it was just too big to ride on some trails for a guy my size. Also had to remove the windshield and mirrors every time I wanted to put it inside the Ambo for travel or maintenance. Mine was a 1995 (the Barbie model)

My KLR650 was the red 2005 model. Everybody always said the bright greens were "the fastest". But the reds were the "babe magnets". I think mine was broken in that respect....
Finally traded it away, as I hadn't rode it in three years.
If I get another 2-wheeler, it'll be a 250cc scooter - easier to carry. Those KLR650s are pigs!

I hear you on the KLR being big, but I travel on mine also and 600 plus miles a day on a 250 doesn't sound like fun. I do dream of a smaller bike for trails - something like a street legal WR 250. But right now I'm trying to force myself into minimalism so one bike is all I get. Even giving my CJ 7 to my son for college graduation. I'm finding the older I get, the happier I am with less "things" to take care of.

If you go with a swing away mount on the rear, I've seen some nice ones built using trailer hubs as the swing mechanism. I wonder if you could do something like that, using a hub that matches your front axle? That way you always have spare bearings with you.

Took several multistate road trips on my KLR650. Great road bike. Propetly equipped, it can carry a ton of gear plus rider. I did avoid Interstates whenever possible.
My only use for a bike now, if I get another, would be as a local "flivver" around camp or into a nearby town. Perfect for a 250. Much lighter to handle, a hell of a lot easier to pick up if dropped.

LeeRevell said:
My only use for a bike now, if I get another, would be as a local "flivver" around camp or into a nearby town.  Perfect for a 250.  Much lighter to handle, a hell of a lot easier to pick up if dropped.
My last bike was a 1978 Suzuki GS1000E. Very quick in it's day, not so much when compared to the current crop. :blush: 
I used it for cruising from Vegas to Reno, California, and sometimes Utah.

I like the idea of having a vehicle to explore with and not put the Ambo in situations where it may get stuck. Also when the time comes, if I need to head off to work or the market from the Ambo, the bike is a great cheap alternative transportation. While I love my Jeep, I don't want to tow it. I want the Ambo to be all inclusive.

Baloo said:
I like the idea of having a vehicle to explore with and not put the Ambo in situations where it may get stuck. Also when the time comes, if I need to head off to work or the market from the Ambo, the bike is a great cheap alternative transportation. While I love my Jeep, I don't want to tow it. I want the Ambo to be all inclusive.

+2, I tow (oh the shame!) a Suzuki DR650 on a 1984 vintage small trailer behind my class B. Don't even know the bike is back there. Perfect for exploring back country roads then return "home" at night. The set-up has spoiled me rotten!

The only downside is the trailer is difficult if not impossible for me to back up due to it's short wheelbase. I usually drop the trailer, position the van and then re-attach. I dislike towing. Have tried the receiver hitches and was unimpressed, (also caused two police stops!). The bike inside the ambo is the perfect solution! Maybe I need to move out of my class B into an ambo (that was my first choice anyways, until the Class B showed up at my door looking for a good home)............

Thanks for the thread.
Happy Trails!
Chuck

PS: Will trade my tricked out DR650 for a kick start only DR350...anyone?

For me, age and health concerns have ended my offroad riding. So a scooter makes more sense. Maybe something like a Yamaha TW-200.
Just need something to buzz around and not have to uproot the camp just to do a grocery run.

I also love the idea of a scooter to run errands and bop around. But, where to put it when on the road? Inside does not have the space.

I would like to find a front mounting of some sort. Only thing that makes sense for me...the only door is in the rear

I have thought of a few different options. Not sure if I will go with a rigid mount or a pivoting one. I like the idea of not having to remove the bike to open the doors. Then I was thinking I would like to be able to just back the bike out on the rack without taking it to the ground and reloading it. I have a pretty good design thought up, time to order the metal.

Pretty sure it is time to order some metal!

3848eb42bcb4f8be54fd580a22a87181.jpg

Here is the rough idea for a double pivoting setup so I can load the bike without touching the ground!