My 4th Conversion (final?)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanLifeCrisis

Reaction score
Well it will be the final one for a while.   I already posted this bed frame in my captains log, but decided to put this kind of stuff in a conversion thread where it belongs and save my log for other stuff thats goin on.  If you subscribe to my blog as well, sorry if there is repeated posts here ;)

down position:
a4642f9f7bfd94402e8193a377d797f8.jpg

up (mostly, stuffs in way):
883d1f4289360700c315db34b613960f.jpg

rear door view:
62f19178706b609e2b0b59a25b3030e8.jpg

This bed frame was a bit of a learning experience for me, I think it can be done better/lighter and with more storage room, but Im not hatin it.   I need to upholster my mattress, so until then im in bed mode only.  Which is fine for now.  The choice of OSB might turn some people off, but its the thickest board you can get for 13 bucks (5 bucks if you get the top piece from stack) and my last bed used it on top as well for 2 years with no problems.  

Im working on the galley now, and trying out my pocket screw jig, which seems pretty nifty.  I went a little trigger happy with it though and added pocket holes i didn't need to at one point but oh well, no one will see em lol

I have also added 2 ladder racks (the kind with just the poles spanning the van) to the roof and painting treated lumber to go up there for a rack/platform, for my panels and maybe some storage.  I decided that painting sucks :\  But its a lot cheaper than buying a metal rack, and this way i can customize it.

My travel trailer, including the bed, came from the factory with OSB. No big deal...

I would love to gut and redo our trailer, so much wasted space. It has lots of OSB in it and that hasn't affected anything in five seasons rougher than most rigs will ever see.

i like redesigning my space, just hate doing the work part ;) And the clutter, if you rip out all the organization devices to put in upgrades, you wind up with a big pile and lots of losing stuff lol

ZoNiE said:
My travel trailer, including the bed, came from the factory with OSB. No big deal...

I  can't use it for anything other than a floor base with something on top that seals the odor because of the terrible off gassing.   The smell seems to last for years.

Getting work done, plan on wrapping things up by the first. Finished galley, moved the power system to that side. Next is roof rack, then closets. Tune up and gone.

518f2df6c36942d2dd14abb32e3fe0c7.jpg

Had a better setup in mind but i was getting impatient and my back started acting up. But itll do for now.

Hey, Martin,
That looks pretty sturdy for the large water container. Do you have bungess or something to put on the front to hold that and your frig in place when traveling?

Looks like you are using the rock and roll ... so you found a mattress that works?

I have found that shelf liner (the rubbery stuff with holes) holds stuff in place pretty well.  I keep one of those water jugs on top of a plastic drawer unit on the floor between the driver's seat and the seat behind it.  Shelf liner is between the jug and the drawer unit.  I do not fasten it down and it does not move.  The Roadtrek is not supposed to rollover.  If it does, I have more to worry about than the water jug. :rolleyes:  If I am hit on the passenger side,it will fall onto the floor.  YMMV

yep, using it there under the stove and drawer up top. love that stuff. There is a roll in the dishpan lol

writerMs, i planned on a locking door for jug but must settle for another solution due to time restraints. Maybe later if i find similar wood. i placed a lip that prevents it from sliding out (the shelf pictured is actually lower than you probably thought). The cabinet is 3/4 inch ply and could handle much more weight than the water jug. Altho its pretty stable as is, I will have everything secured before heading out.

WriterMs said:
Looks like you are using the rock and roll ... so you found a mattress that works?

Im just using it like a bed for now. i find it a little hard to fold, i need to rethink the design for something lighter, or maybe some sort of assist or rachet mechanic at the center hinge.