My 2010 Ford Transit Connect conversion.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigT

Reaction score
I spent years deciding what model van to use before settling on the TC.
I was sure I didn't want a full-sized van with its lousy mpg because I knew I'd be using it as my daily driver for work and such. I also knew I wanted a high-top design, but I wanted one that came as a seamless high-top from the factory, so my choices were few.
I considered the Sprinter (for a New York minute), but anything made by Mercedes is going to be very expensive to own and operate.

I admit the Ford TC is a bit small, but since I don't plan to quit my job and live my life on the road full-time, traveling from town to town, I'm hoping it will work.
For now I'm just using it for camping trips and music festivals, but eventually I hope to move out of my overpriced apartment and stop funding my landlords retirement plan.

The idea is simple: Keep my job and get a small, affordable storage unit to use as a walk-in closet for the things I don't want to carry around with me, a gym membership for regular showers and swimming laps on my lunch, and a PO box for my mail.
My job as a corporate coach driver gives me daily access to free WiFi, multiple 120V and 12V power outlets for charging stuff, comfy seats with tables for surfing the Net, and even a bathroom with a flush toilet that somebody else dumps and cleans for me.
The kitchen in the office has a fridge and microwave that I can access 16 hours a day.

But I digress. This is supposed to be a thread about my build project, not my future life plans.

I started with a clean slate.

Then I went to Home Depot and picked up supplies for the floor, bed and tables.
Sorry, I don't have any photos of the floor going in. I used 1/4" plywood, two-sided carpet tape, and indoor/outdoor carpet from Home Depot. The same carpet I used for the bed, but a slightly different shade of gray.

Plumbing nipples, floor-flanges and plywood make for a good start.

The bed was simplicity at its best: Plywood, foam, spray adhesive, indoor/outdoor carpet, pipes and flanges, and lots of staples.

Wanting a little extra legroom, I added a folding leaf to the bed, making it 6'10" when extended.

This is how the leaf works. Again, keeping it simple. Yes, placing the legs where I did to clear the leaf means you can't sit too close to that end of the bunk, so that's the foot of the bed when it's extended.
I have an aluminum, telescoping leg that's just waiting for a quick release flange/mount that I'm planning to attach under the leaf for added support.

I built the folding table that sits across from the bed using the same materials and design as I did for the bunk. Simple and lightweight.

I decided a single support leg, resting on the fender-well, was the best plan as it saves space and increases legroom under the table.

This is the rear "kitchen counter" where I'll prepare meals and cook my food.
I bolted "L" flanges to the insides of the rear doors and installed pins at the corners of the table/counter to keep it from falling off if the doors moved.
In the end, though I don't have pics to show it, I covered the counter with plexiglass like I did the table.

Wanting a place to store the kitchen counter when not in use, I mounted these coat hooks to the underside of the bed and covered them with rubber tubing so they wouldn't scratch the counter when I slid it into the hooks.
I also stapled a piece of carpet to the underside of the bed for the same anti-scratch purpose and to reduce rattles on the road.

This is just a mock-up to show the basic design. I've done a few other things to the van, like adding window covers to the front doors, but I don't have photos of them yet. I'll add them later when I get pics. :)

Stay tuned, more mods to come! :D

Thanks, Bob, that's just what I was going for. Keep it simple, keep it light, and make it easier to transfer to other vehicles down the road.
I've always been more interested in function than form. The bed, for example, is just about as basic as they come, but I really don't care what it looks like just so long as it's comfortable and functional.

I found some really interesting looking kits for the TC, but they were all pretty permanent and designed just for that model. They also looked very heavy and were quite pricey. I paid less than $600 for everything I've done to the van so far. :)

I bolted "L" flanges to the insides of the rear doors

Were these ready-made you can buy at Home Depot or did you have to make them?
I have had the same idea for my side doors for some time and may copy this.

very cool. what is that table top finished with? good to see you used plywood instead of usb. highdesertranger

dvdchris said:
Were these ready-made you can buy at Home Depot or did you have to make them?
I have had the same idea for my side doors for some time and may copy this.
I bought long pieces of 1" corner molding and cut it to length.  In hindsight I think I should have used hardwood.  I'm actually planning to replace the singe, wide rear table with two smaller tables that fold down against the rear doors.  That way when they're not in use, they won't require a separate storage location (under the bed), freeing that space up for added storage.  My plan is try and find some sliding wire drawers designed to mount under cabinets and hang them from the underside of the bed.  

highdesertranger said:
very cool.  what is that table top finished with?  good to see you used plywood instead of usb.  highdesertranger

HDR, I used 1/4" plywood, covered by plexiglass for the top of the table.  Again, in hindsight, I wish I had used a simpler system...  Maybe just a piece of 1"-by- 16".  The way I did it is a little too heavy, space-wasting, and needlessly complicated.  :s

This week I'm going to start shopping for solar panels and charge controllers.  

My latest addition, which I'm sure I will improve on with time, is my battery box/camp toilet mount.  :)

Very nice! It reminds me I need to take more pictures of the NV200 I'm converting, which is almost identical in terms of interior space. I actually will be living full time, traveling in mine so my build is a bit different. I like the table leg, looks like part of a crutch. I'd recommend adding something to limit how far it swings down, like a bit of steel cable.

Reducto said:
I'd recommend adding something to limit how far it swings down, like a bit of steel cable.

I'm not sure I follow...  If I had a cable holding it up, I wouldn't have used a crutch leg.  I went with the leg to eliminate anything getting in the way on top of the table.  When not in use, the table folds up into the wall.

btw... Is the NV200 electric?

Nope, just a basic NV200 cargo with a gas engine and CVT transmission.

I meant you might want to put something in to limit how far out the leg swings. That will make it easier to drop the table down - you won't have to reach down and position the leg. I could also see the leg falling out of place if you bump the table up. Maybe it's not really a problem, depends how often you'll be using the table.

The little NV200's have a CVT, yes. The full size NVs have automatic transmissions.

It has a 100,000 mile warranty which is longer than I normally keep vehicles anyway so I figured I'd take a chance.

Reducto said:
I meant you might want to put something in to limit how far out the leg swings. That will make it easier to drop the table down - you won't have to reach down and position the leg. I could also see the leg falling out of place if you bump the table up. Maybe it's not really a problem, depends how often you'll be using the table.

Oh, OK, I misunderstood.  The fender-well is shaped such that it holds the rubber foot snugly in place, but your idea is a good one, thanks.  
It would kind of suck to bump the table and end up with my dinner in my lap.  I'll look into it.  :)  I'm in the process of changing/improving just about everything I built for it anyway.  :p  

I'm planning to remove that wide table that spans the rear doors and replace it with a pair of smaller, folding tables mounted to the rear doors.  That way I can free up the space under the bed for more storage.  I'm also looking into separating the toilet mount from the battery box and relocating the battery box to a better location that doesn't rob so much of the already limited floor space.  

This van really is just a test-bed for trying out ideas.

Update:

Got the solar panel, shower-tube and kayak up on the roof together yesterday.  Looks like the boat shouldn't shadow the panel much.   :cool:

^^ Thanks! ^^

Ooops.  Looks like I'll have to create a thread about my shower-tube now.   :p

Before anyone asks.....  I hung it from the crossbars instead of mounting it on top because I have clearance issues under my carport.  When I move I plan to flip it.   :cool:

I don't ave anything to SHADOW mine but I still think about it when I park, always trying to get the best sun angle.

MIke R

Can you tell me what is the length from the rear doors to the back of the seats?

Also width just above wheel wells?

These vans look great.

What an excellent build, thanks for sharing. If I were solo I'd definitely consider the TC.