My 1 year anniversary van dwelling full time

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caseyc

Reaction score
Thought I'd give an update here. It's been nearly 1 year ago that I told my landlord goodbye. I have been living in my van full time since last February 2014. Wow, time went by fast. 

I also quit my career in finance after many years. I will let all my professional licenses expire. I have retired from corporate America. Didn't even get a gold Rolex for my years of service. Actually, I simply walked off my job in disgust without notice and let them terminate my employment as I essentially went awol. That's how much I hated my job and bosses. I chose to get even instead of mad!

I am now driving for Uber and Lyft full time as an independent contractor. I work for myself whenever I want to, as much or as little as I want, don't have a boss or schedule. Heck, I don't even set my alarm clock if I don't want to. Yet I still manage to earn over $200 daily gross on most days. Not having a d@mn boss telling me what to do is quite appealing to me. I hate bosses. Must be a sign of old age. 

My van dwelling is entirely urban. I don't ever cook or clean as I always eat out. Heck, I don't even do manual laundry as I prefer to pay for wash and fold service from my dry cleaners. Am I lazy? Probably. Most likely. That's how I choose to roll. Works well for me.

When I first started out preparing to live in my van, I had way over prepared. The majority of stuff I have I don't use. Even my power needs are far less than what I thought I need. I really only need to power my smartphones and tablets and sometimes my laptops. That's about all. If I had to start over again, I would not have bought 70 percent of the stuff I got.

The most important thing I did get is a comfortable iComfort memory foam bed and frame. That one thing alone has been hugely important every night. Heck, I don't even turn on my fridge anymore and have been using it as a cooler instead. My GF who stays with me on the weekends uses the portapotty. That's pretty much exclusively for her private use, haha. We go to the gym for cleaning needs, or at least I do. She has her own apartment.

Anyway, I will be doing the full time van dwelling thing for the foreseeable future cuz I can't afford to pay the current hyper inflated rent prices. So that's my life in a nutshell. I don't have a landlord nor a boss but yet I have a home and earned income and am surviving okay. Hope this might provide encouragement for others out there.

Haven't seen or perhaps noticed you here for a while. Good to hear you are happy and doing well.

It's cool to hear the details of how you've adjusted from what you expected, to how things actually work best for you. I'm sure your van setup and daily routine will continue to evolve with time to what best suits your needs.
My one year anniversary is coming up soon too. Have an extra piece of cake for me. :)

Thanks for the warm wishes. It's true I haven't been posting as much lately. This is due to my driving job. It's hard to post and drive at the same time haha. My previous office job behind the computer made it easy for me to post. I will try to post more often to keep updated on things.

Always good to hear a happy success story...

Congrats! I remember my 1st. This march will be our 3rd, can't wait for another summer of freedom.

Great to hear from you, caseyc.  I too have been wondering how you are and how the uber job has been working out for you.  I'm happy to hear you are doing well. I think it's just too cool that you are able to use your home to make a living. 

Thank you. Actually, my driving gig requires a 4 door sedan. So I sold my Bimmer 2 door convertible and got a Toyota sedan for my driving job. My van is a Ford conversion van for dwelling.

Oh! Well that makes sense, I guess, or the riders might think you're a kidnapper or something. Well, congrats for making it work.

Good on ya Cassey, you sound a lot more relaxed ( if it is possible sound something in script) Congratulations

Thanks. I'm actually working more hours being self employed. I work from 7am to 7pm 5 days a week and maybe half day Saturdays. I take many liberal breaks throughout the day. I do feel more relaxed with my new work and lifestyle. No dang boss to tell me what to do. No landlord to pay overpriced rent. Living small is my new motto. I am happy and grateful. No regrets. My van is also doing fine. I visit small towns during the weekends to get away from big city life. My GF got used to my new lifestyle. Life is good.

Happy anniversary! I'm glad to hear things are going your way.