Mummy and Water Storage is STANKY

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Txjaybird

Reaction score
:huh:  I KID YOU NOT  :huh:   In some of my recent ramblings I acquired  a USG issued mountain rated feather filled mummy sleeping bag with outer cover.  It's in good shape with no stains or tears.   It smells musty like put up damp or stored in a damp place.  It is stanky..... whooiee  :s  The tag warns against dry cleaning.  I'm thinking a large front load washer with baking soda added, should I use soap flakes or regular liquid laundry detergent?  How about fabric softener? Sun dry or use dryer at Laundry?  

Also on the front rack on the Aliner there are 2 5gal plastic jeri cans that are for water storage.  As they are dark green I was thinking good place to pre-heat water for cleaning duties.  I usually bleach things to within a inch of it's life.  These jugs stink.  Would hot water with dish soap and bleach for a day or 2 followed with a good rinse and soak with water and baking soda work?  I've found that hot water and baking soda will even freshen up the oldest Tupperware containers.

Any advice is appreciated.  Here I thought I was too old to have any more first times :D  ones that were wanted anyways!

Jewellann

they make special soap for down bags and clothing. I have used "Loft" before it works good, I have also used "Woolite" with good results. I would not use a washing machine when the down is wet it weighs a ton and the weight might tear the baffles in the bag. I wash mine in a big wash tub or the bath tub. you do not want to use anything that will strip the natural oils from the down. as far as the water containers I use a bleach wash let it sit for a day or two agitating often. then I rinse and do a vinegar wash just like the bleach. then rinse thoroughly and check the taste. sometimes you need to repeat the vinegar wash. hope that helps. highdesertranger

In the Marines we used Corn Starch and sunlight.....if you do as HDR suggests make sure you cet it completely dry so you have the insulation value.....also since the military bags were used by others Lysol was sprayed inside and out. Good luck!

Advice from REI re the sleeping bag:

Washing

If your bag is losing loft, is darkened with grime and basically no longer inhabitable, then by all means give it a full washing.

Tip: Dry cleaning is not appropriate for sleeping bags, especially down. Solvents used in dry cleaning can strip the natural oils from down that help it retain loft. Solvents are also very difficult to remove from synthetic insulation.

If you decide to wash your bag yourself, use a gentle, non-detergent soap that is made for washing down- and synthetic-filled items.

Down: For down bags, hand-washing in a bathtub works best. Fill the tub with warm water and add one of the above-recommended cleaners. Put the bag in and gently work in the soap, then allow it to soak for 15 minutes. Drain the tub and press out any remaining water. In a cold-water rinse, work the soap out gently, let the bag sit for 15 minutes and drain. Press out any remaining water. Repeat the rinse until all the soap is out.

It's also possible, (according to some bag manufacturers) to machine wash a down bag, as long as a front-loading washer is used. Never use an agitator-style machine as the motion can damage the stitching and insulation. Make sure to wash on the gentle cycle in cool water with one of the aforementioned down soaps.

Synthetics: Synthetic bags can be washed in the same way. Hand-wash in a bathtub, or use a large, front-loading washer with no agitator. Use cool water and mild soap. Rinse several times to make sure all the soap is removed. An extra spin cycle or an extractor may be used to remove excess water.

Drying

Air drying is the safest way to dry your bag, but obviously the longest. If you tumble dry your bag, use very low heat or a no-heat setting and keep an eye on it. Dryers have varying heat outputs, so you need to check periodically to make sure the shell and insulation aren't overheating, which can actually lead to melting. Add a couple of clean tennis balls when the bag is nearly dry. This will help break up any clumps of insulation and help restore the loft.

My first thought was to wonder what you have gotten yourself into???   :huh:

For some reason the mental image of a mummy in the cistern~~~  Well, you know.    :-/

The real story is not as exciting, but I did learn how to clean my down pillow.   :cool:

I forgot mention to rinse the bag well, I mean really well. after you have got all the soap out rinse again. highdesertranger

Don't use powder or flakes---use liquid. You can add about 1/2 cup vinegar to wash water if using machine. If using tub let soak in same vinegar/water combo for about 15 minutes for 2nd rinse after mild agitation. The vinegar should take care of the mustiness.

Sunshine is your friend if you've got enough of it that isn't really high in humidity. Airing the bag out in the sun would be a great first step. I don't know if mummy bags can be unzipped to flat or not. My bags can be unzipped flat and I'll air them in the sun for a few hours first on one side then the other. Storage is important too. The instructions on mine are to stuff them in the bag zippers open so that the loft doesn't settle from being folded one way all the time. Mine are over 40 and still going strong. I have homemade liners that slip in to keep them cleaner.

Hope that helps! :)

Phantom Blooper said:
Did you get rid of da' STANKYS'?

Not yet.   I sprinkled it with baking soda and put it a big tote for now.  It's so obvious it hasn't been taken care of I figured a few more days wouldn't hurt it.

Jewellann

Latest posts