Multi-Focal Prescription Eyeglasses

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

introverting

Reaction score
I thought this would be a great place to ask my question.  I began to need to wear multi-focal prescription lenses over 10 years ago and have always purchased progressive lenses.  However, I've not always been happy with progressive lenses.  In fact, I can only think of two pair that worked well.  The others have been problematic, specifically when trying to adjust from distance to reading and sometimes in between.

I've wondered if lined lenses might be a better choice, but some Internet searching has not helped me to definitively come to a decision.  If you've worn both types of prescription lenses and have a preference, I'd like to hear what you have to say.  Thank you in advance.

I have unlined trifocals for the last 5 years, just got my second script. Prior to that cheap drugstore readers.
My eye issues are more reading fine print until I mentioned some near-sightedness in my right eye for night driving. That brought on the top lense. Took a couple weeks to get accustomed to wearing them.

With the low cost of eyeglasses in Mexico, you might be able to afford lined lenses as an experiment.

I tried progressive lens. I could not even walk down stairs with out getting dizzy. I have used bifocals for 15 years or so. I'm pleased with them. I have reading glasses for computer and books.

I got glasses last year in Los Algodones, Mexico. They are as little as $29 for single vision and the exam. I paid a little over $100 for progressives with a dark tint and the exam. I’m very happy with them. Progressives take a while for your brain to adjust to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I wore glasses, I always got the progressive lenses (cataract surgery cure, now just readers). When they put the little line on the glasses for where your eyeball is, if they are off a little will give problems with using the progressive. The couple of times that I had problems, I took them back and had them correct them. I loved my progressive lenses an wore them most of my adult life.

I haven't been able to walk down stairs or over uneven surfaces well with progressive lenses. Sitting reading or driving I do fine which I do when I work. Any other time I use driving glasses for traveling and cheap reading glasses for close up.

There will always be people who give up when they experience any kind of discomfort. Their mind set is such that they say, I will never be able to do this so they quit before they adjust. Don't be a quitter. Your brain will adapt even if it needs a few extra days more than average.

I would never go back to lined bi or trifocals. I used to wear trifocals because my vision was 20/600 and I needed that third section for computer and TV watching. Then I got Lasik so that fixed the distance but I still had some astigmatism so I needed glasses to fix that. After the Lasik I changed to progressive lenses.

I tried progressives for almost a year. That isn't long enough? I'm glad they worked for you. Don't insult the rest of us!

or ....maybe you just got a badly made pair of glasses. Such things do happen now and again. It happened recently to my friend who has been wearing progressive lenses for a number of years. The lab simply made errors when they created the lenses. He had them remade and that solved the issue.

When you go up the stairs wearing progressive lenses or bifocals you are not supposed to look down into the lower part of the lens to see where you are going. Looking down through the reading prescription part of the lens can cause you to trip on the stairs. That advice comes directly from the optical companies who make glasses. You don't move your eyes down, you move your whole head down to see where you want to step so that you are looking through the mid distance portion of the lens that is meant for focusing at around 3 feet away from you. If you are not using your lenses correctly then of course you will experience issues when walking up the stairs. Some people will catch on almost automatically but other people won't, they have to be told what they are doing wrong and what is the right thing to do.

Not sure if they hand out instruction manuals when they give you new glasses and most people working in the stores never bother to talk to people about how to get used to their new glasses and go over the instructions of doing different tasks such as walking up stairs. But there are plenty of websites around that tell people what to do to resolve getting used to their new to them progressive lenses.

Yes. It is all my fault. The glasses are perfect. I don't know how to use stairs. NLM

I use progressives for everyday stuff, including driving, but they're not ideal for the many hours of computer stuff I have to do each day -- the intermediate area is just too small and position-dependent. I have a pair of single-vision computer glasses that correct my vision at a distance range of around 18 to 22 inches, which is just right for work.

Back in the pre-bifocal era, people commonly switched between multiple pairs of single-vision glasses as needed. i recognize the clumsiness of that approach, but I can also see how it might have given them the clearest possible vision for any given application. I've thought about going that route myself.

One of the main reasons older people enter rest homes is due to broken hips from a fall. I wouldn't doubt that many falls occur due to them adjusting to new glasses. I usually tripped going down stairs or stepping off a curb, just didn't want to take any more chances with my bad knee and actually do use them at work where there are no steps or curbs. I switch glasses when driving and reading as it seems to be easier on my eyes after several hours. I figure it is good mental exercise keeping up with 3 pairs of glasses. LOL!!!

ganchan said:
I use progressives for everyday stuff, including driving, but they're not ideal for the many hours of computer stuff I have to do each day -- the intermediate area is just too small and position-dependent. I have a pair of single-vision computer glasses that correct my vision at a distance range of around 18 to 22 inches, which is just right for work.

Back in the pre-bifocal era, people commonly switched between multiple pairs of single-vision glasses as needed. i recognize the clumsiness of that approach, but I can also see how it might have given them the clearest possible vision for any given application. I've thought about going that route myself.

Here is an image showing side by side the difference between the original standard progressive lenses that have a very small focal point for computer work and the multi-functional version that is best suited for someone who does a lot of computer work. The standard progressive lenses have the largest area designed for distance viewing which make them great for driving. The multi-function design has the largest area in the center for computer work.
click on the image to enlarge it
progressive lenses.JPG

The issue is the optical advisor who sold you the glasses chose the wrong type of progressive (no line) lenses for your personal needs.  Or else they assumed you knew the difference. You do need to pay attention to what you buy when you go to get new lenses so that you understand what you are purchasing.

I have a pair of standard progressive lenses made up with specialized transitional tints and also polarized that are colored to enhance optimal driving conditions both in the daytime and night time. I keep them in a case in my purse.
I also have a pair of multifunctional lenses that I use for tasks such as working on computers, watching TV, shopping in stores, etc. All that indoor type of stuff.
Since I wear glasses all the time I just switch them out as needed. It is not a big deal and I don't lose them because I have developed habits of where I place them when I take them off.

Attachments

• progressive lenses.JPG
    progressive lenses.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 9
[quote pid='444119' dateline='1555253393']
[/quote]

That wouldn't work for driving.

@maki2:  For the prices charged for progressive eyewear, consumers shouldn't have to be experts in order to get the right eyewear.  I'll tell you, I'm about fed up with health care in this country.  You have to be your own advocate to get the right care and the doctors get upset when you question them.  It's not right, especially for all the money that is spent on health care in this country.

I don't know what multi-functional eyewear costs, but I'm thinking a pair of progressive and a pair of multi-functional eyewear would be out of the budget for many people, me included.

When I took mine in to get fixed, it was no charge so I only bought (and kept) one pair. Think of it as warranty work.

I buy my glasses online. I know my Rx so that's not an issue. I'm probably due for another eye exam in the next year or two but I'm fine for now. I wear multi-focal with no issues. I did have to get used to them at first.
In any case, my last pair of multi-focal cost me about 69.00 on sale.
I'm going to put the link to Eye Buy Direct below. I'm signed up for their emails so when they have a sale I'm notified. They have info on the site about ordering the correct frame size and they have a good return policy.
I am not in any way affiliated with them. Just a satisfied customer.

https://www.eyebuydirect.com/