MSG = Yum Yum

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fork King

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here use MSG in their food?

If not you are definitely missing out. It is less sodium than table salt and adds umami to your food. (You're food will taste better)

MSG got a bad rap in the 60's but it is mostly BS. Yes, there are a few small percent of people that are sensitive to it.

MSG is in so many foods that you buy most people do not even relize it. But makes the food Yummy 😋

I graduated culinary school and use it in a lot of recipes and no one has ever complained.

So if you want to cut back on sodium. Buy some MSG and your food and Mouth-Hole will thank you.

The Fork King

Last edited:
I have never noticed any symptoms from msg and there are foods that have natural msg in them. But I do prefer not to get msg additives in the foods I buy or a lot of sodium and other chemical additives and dyes.

Does anyone here use MSG in their food?

If not you are definitely missing out. It is less sodium than table salt and adds umami to your food. (You're food will taste better)

MSG got a bad rap in the 60's but it is mostly BS. Yes, there are a few small percent of people that are sensitive to it.

MSG is in so many foods that you buy most people do not even relize it. But makes the food Yummy 😋

I graduated culinary school and use it in a lot of recipes and no one has ever complained.

So if you want to cut back on sodium. Buy some MSG and your food and Mouth-Hole will thank you.

The Fork King
I like to use Chicken Essence as a salt-substitute... It's absolutely delicious sprinkled on popcorn...

1716395074022.png

YUM.

I have a flavor boosting shaker I use for certain things as well... Korean chili powder,
Chicken essence, little bit of sugar, Cumin, and some Chinese 5-spice... It also makes a really
delicious popcorn topper (or anything that doesn't have much flavor of its own that
really needs a bump). It is also amazing as a seasoning for grilled lamb skewers... Mmm.

+1 on the MSG. I am Filipino, my mom and the culture uses it all the time in their recipe. Also the bouillon love it. The Knorr brand is what my mom uses and I of course us. I like / used the cubes. Seems fitting for Van Life. Don't have to worry about spills.

I'm adding this MSG and bouillon to the grocery list to add in the pantry.

Attachments

• chicken-cube-knorr-open-large.jpg
    chicken-cube-knorr-open-large.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
+1 on the MSG. I am Filipino, my mom and the culture uses it all the time in their recipe. Also the bouillon love it. The Knorr brand is what my mom uses and I of course us. I like / used the cubes. Seems fitting for Van Life. Don't have to worry about spills.

I'm adding this MSG and bouillon to the grocery list to add in the pantry.
Nice 👍 the knorr bullion is good. I use the knorr shrimp powder a lot too.

I like the bullion stuff, both beef and chicken I have not tried the shrimp. Hubby has major high blood pressure so we are learning to eat with lots less salt, so no more bullion. Is Msg something that adds flavor but not salt? I have done a lot with herbs and stuff but always willing to try other ideas. I take a few cubes of the bullion with me in the van kitchen but so far not used it. How is MSG used is it added as food is cooking or before or after....

I like the “Better than Bullion” paste that comes in a jar. It has very good strong beef and chicken flavor. The first ingredient is the meat. No msg in it but a few other things including some strange sounding sodium additives. It is very salty and pricey so I do not buy it often. But a jar goes a long ways towards seasoning one person meals.

Last edited:
I like the bullion stuff, both beef and chicken I have not tried the shrimp. Hubby has major high blood pressure so we are learning to eat with lots less salt, so no more bullion. Is Msg something that adds flavor but not salt? I have done a lot with herbs and stuff but always willing to try other ideas. I take a few cubes of the bullion with me in the van kitchen but so far not used it. How is MSG used is it added as food is cooking or before or after....
It is about half the amount of sodium per tsp compared to table salt.

The whole "MSG is bad for you" / so-called "Chinese restaurant syndrome" thing is a bunch of bunk. MSG, used properly and in reasonable amounts, is a safe food. https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-msg-got-a-bad-rap-flawed-science-and-xenophobia/
I think it had more to do with entrenched companies trying to protect their market against a patented product they couldn't market themselves than xenophobia...

I use the Knorr bullion sometimes as well, but 95% of the time I prefer the Lee Kum Kee brand... Be careful to get the powder though! It has a better overall flavor than the granules.

My other goto seasoning is Korean Beef Bullion... Another way to boost flavor up a notch, but a subtly different flavor than the chicken powder.

1716475948303.png

Mmmm....

I think it had more to do with entrenched companies trying to protect their market against a patented product they couldn't market themselves than xenophobia...

I use the Knorr bullion sometimes as well, but 95% of the time I prefer the Lee Kum Kee brand... Be careful to get the powder though! It has a better overall flavor than the granules.

My other goto seasoning is Korean Beef Bullion... Another way to boost flavor up a notch, but a subtly different flavor than the chicken powder.

View attachment 35594

Mmmm....
So, you're saying you prefer this in your @Frood ?

I'll see myself out...

So, you're saying you prefer this in your @Frood ?

I'll see myself out...
Instead of using salt. Obviously you don't use it in everything. Sometimes salt is the best
choice for flavor. And sometimes the best flavor is to not add salt (or a substitute) at all.

I've never been a fan of salty watermelon for example, although some people seem to enjoy it.

Went to Safeway for groceries. They don't have MSG there. I even looked at the Asian foods aisle. I remember it used to be on the spices aisle. Was looking through for a good 5 minutes.. I know where to go get it though.

a)
Anytime we smoke fish and other meats, we put trays of sea salt and Himalayan salt in the smoker.
That 'flavor-enhancer' adds tremendous depth and richness to any food.
2)
We prefer our food with minimal processing.
MSG seems to need a lot of time inside factories.
d)
Some research indicates msg alters the gut biome, inhibiting the good bacteria we all work so hard to nourish and maintain.
Apparently, about 90% (ninety percent) of our immune system is in the gut, manufactured by our healthy gut bacteria.
Other research indicates msg destroys intestinal lining -- 'leaky-gut' -- allowing undigested material to enter the blood-stream, triggering inflammatory diseases such as allergies and arthritis.
Another inflammatory disease is dementia.
17)
On some ingredients labels, msg is disguised with different words:
Screenshot_20240524-233143.png