Mr Buddy as a stove

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The Mr Buddy propane heater can be used as a stove if the handle is sawed off and a grill is attached with wire. The Mr Buddy will then need a metal strap around it to keep it together. It can then be attached to the vehicle with wire strapping and screws, etc. I used a brick under the front to help take the weight. A large pan can be placed on it and strapped to the frame with rubber bungee cords. The water from a large pan can be siphoned in a 3/8 ID plastic tube and used as a low shower with hot water by simply plugging the end with an small orange electrical wire tie that has ribs and will give about 5 small jets of water. The water can be pumped to a tank or container that can be placed on top of the vehicle to give greater height and water pressure. Cooking can be done over the Mr Buddy. The pilot light alone will heat my large van if I draw a curtain. There are holes in the floor to let in fresh air. I have a carbon monoxide + fire detector and 3 extinguishers handy.

Here is Mr Buddy with the handle cut off and a grill attached with wires:
Buddy+Grill.jpg

Here is Mr Buddy with pots and pans. Notice the blue pilot light:
Buddy+Pans.jpg

Here is Mr Buddy with a big pot that holds about 3 gallons:
Buddy+Big_Pot.jpg

Attachments

• Buddy+Big_Pot.jpg
    Buddy+Big_Pot.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Buddy+Grill.jpg
    Buddy+Grill.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 18
  • Buddy+Pans.jpg
    Buddy+Pans.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 20
that's really cool. however I would like to warn people about using just any old thing for the grate. never use anything that's galvanized, never use old grates out of a refer. in fact never use anything for a grate that is not meant to be used as a grate, unless you are 100% certain that it is safe. highdesertranger

Cool to know, but I think I'll stick with the ease and safety of my single burner stove for cooking.

However, our heater is the small cone style Mr. Heater in a steel frame that tilts back to face upward. It is designed to take the weight of a 5 gallon pot.
 Hummm, might have to have a crab boil before we leave the coast.

Just let that pan bubble/boil over and run down the front of the heater, entering the heating element...

Might not be the best of ideas.

I just got it a few weeks ago and it's way too hot to run it but I have already been thinking about using my portable buddy for foil style cooking. My thought process being if you're going to run the heater anyways why not let it make you a warm meal?
The idea of perching pots and pans on top I don't think I could get into but as long as the grate is strong why not.

bindi&us said:
Who was it that was roasting hot dogs on pieces of angle iron wired to a Buddy?
Sounds like something highcountrystranger would do :D

Funny, I read his handle as "stranger" also.   Must be a crossed wire in the brain!

Ranger, stranger, whoever, he rocks!

I have an earlier one of these and have always been impressed with it.   It came to me twice (bit of a story) from an 0lder friend who couldn't bring himself to read instructions and would take it apart and not be able to put it back together again.  So he finally gave up and gave it with me.   If he had only read the instructions and practiced with it to learn how to light it so it stayed lit.  It's now a Mr. Frankenstein Buddy as I've beat it to fit and painted it to match improvising lost parts.  But it works like it should other than it's odd look.

The later models of these have an oxygen sensor. 

I've used it in my Van on some cooler evening camp outs and I found a 9' rubber adapter hose so it would
work with a BBQ Grill propane tank.   It does tend to dry the air and  I can see the argument for a way to
use a metal water vessel to add moisture to the air.

But it wasn't till last year when the Electric Power started going out here in very cold weather that I used it in my Bathroom (16 X 8 ft room)  which becomes my in home "Tiny Home" in times of winter power outages. 

In my camping gear I have a camp fire grill similar to this one that I sit in front of Mr Buddy:

camerons-products-scout-grate-grill-cgs-popup.jpg

I got it out and placed it before the heater and used a small metal sauce pan with water to dampen the air.
For cooking I used an old Boy Scout Mess Kit that that need quite well.

41g-tGX6GJL._SX300_.jpg

A couple of thin wooden boards are placed under the grill to insulate the heat from the Linoleum floor.

I've since torn up some wood palates and made what looks like a Futon bed to slide onto the top of the bath tub such that it can go from couch to bed.  In the winter months I have a 5 gallon water jug I keep in the
bathroom closet and a few 3 liter Soda Bottles full of water as well. 

In my area of eastern Kentucky, So East Ohio, and So West West Virginia the Power Utilities have been quite
irresponsible about maintaining the right of way by the high power lines.  Thousands have been without power while the CEO gets a couple of million dollar bonus for his good work.  Not to mention the constant ad's airing on the TV stations offering reward money leading to the conviction of those stealing the downed copper wire
when a tree falls on the lines.  (nothing said about using the money from selling the copper to buy kerosene to keep the family from freezing)

So,  one learns to be prepared and have a "pioneer" resolve even though he appears to be living in civilization.

Hey eDJ_, not to sound stalkerish or anything, but we're neighbors!

My electric doesn't go out that often. I guess it's because I live close to the city.