Mounting solar on the roof rack

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LadyBea

Reaction score
Mounting solar on the roof rack?  First time posting. I have a new 24 foot car hauler. Going to mount two 5 foot solar panels this week. Can either glue them on with 3M tape and Dycor, but no Screws or bolts thru the roof. Or mount them on a roof rack that I could buy for my car hauler. Any pros and cons?

I know people have said that its fine to mount with VHB tape or similar and then Dicor without screws, but the only people stating that are people who haven't had the panels blow off going down the road. Look for stories\video of panels coming off on the road, then ask them if they would advise it. Prob not lol.

Why no screws in car hauler roof? How will you attach roof rack to car hauler? Or am I misunderstanding your post. I think having ventilation under panels is important, so either way, try to have some ventilation under panels.

LadyBea said:
Mounting solar on the roof rack?  First time posting. I have a new 24 foot car hauler. Going to mount two 5 foot solar panels this week. Can either glue them on with 3M tape and Dycor, but no Screws or bolts thru the roof. Or mount them on a roof rack that I could buy for my car hauler. Any pros and cons?

2 160 watt panels mounted on 6ft 1.5''x1.5'' aluminum 'L' extrusion, then attached to factory cross bars with stainless 'U' bolts. the panels are below the level of the cross bars so can still load on roof if required.

MM

Attachments

• KIMG0303.jpg
    KIMG0303.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 12