Mounting portable solar on roof rack

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bohemian scout

Reaction score
I watched an older Robert Withams you tube video on mounting his renogy portable suitcase solar panel  on the roof of his van.  Seemed easy enough except he didn’t talk about removing the charge controller, rewiring and mounting the controller inside his van. I have two renogy solar eclipse 100w suitcase units and would like to mount them on the roof rack of my van. 
 Seems like this should work OK, right? The problem is I have no idea where to get help with this. My son-in-law can help me install the panels on the roof rack but I need help with the wiring, removing the controllers and installing them inside the van plus installing an inverter so I can Plug in my fridge, charge devices and charge my electric bike battery. 
I am in the Portland Oregon area but I am willing to drive somewhere and pay someone to help me with this. I can’t go to the van build in November because I will be helping my daughter when she goes back to work after having a baby. 
 How do I go about finding someone that is reliable yet won’t charge me an arm and a leg? How do I search, where do I search, what do I search for? What kind of places do this kind of work? 
Help please.

They are rigid panels and mount as do any rigid panels do.

I am on my way to Portland for solar work right now. I should be free in a week or two and can check your van out once I am done.