Mounting panels on a trailer

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobW55

Reaction score
I will soon be getting a 6'x10' V nosed aluminium trailer.
Now these are not known for having a roof you can walk on, let alone 60 pounds worth of solar panels.
I can think of a few ways to go about it.
1) Lay out some pressure treated 2x4 and screw them into the metal ribs of the trailer roof.
2) Get some aluminium rails and use those instead of the 2x4.
3) Screw the brackets through the skin into support material from the underside.
Trust me I will use plenty of marine grade sealant.

What have you guys done?

Can we assume it's a flat roof? You left that part out.

Yeah skip the 2x4's....go with aluminum angle lengthwise and either bolt the panels direct to those or use Z-brackets in addition to the angle to get an inch or two spacing underneath the panels for airflow.

Oppps
Yes a flat roof.
Will have to lay out the panels and see where things line up with the ribs.
I am glad the local hardware store stocks aluminum angle
Was planning on 2 panels side by side and the third cross ways. Have to see how many options the Y connectors give me.

A 6x10 roof is big enough for 3 house solar panels side by side, they would be 10 feet long and a little less than 6 feet wide (60 cell panels). That would be a crazy 1000 watts or so. If you haven't bought your panels yet, consider using the high voltage house type.

Using three 100 watt 12 volt panels. I wanted 24 volt but no one had them for a reasonable price.
I did find a single 300 watt 24 volt panel, but expensive and heavy.

when buying metal like aluminum angle skip the hardware store and go straight to a metal supply house, about half the price per foot.

IMO 2x4's have no place in any build for any reason.

have you checked Craig's List for panels? great deals can be found there. highdesertranger

2x4's are to heavy and bulky. what ever you are doing with 2x4's you can do lighter and stronger with other materials. highdesertranger

I actually just watched a video where the built an aluminum rack that bolted onto the sides that I really liked. The roof on these things are so flimsy.
He then bolted the panels to the rack. No roof holes except to bring the wires in, but I ordered one of those lead ins for that.
As far as buying aluminum direct. Closest place around here is in Detroit, a good 2 hours away. Cheaper to just get from Ace hardware.