Mount Shasta, CA area anyone?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RollingOm

Reaction score
Hello fellow travelers!  I'm currently in Los Angeles, CA but taking off next week to the Mt. Shasta, ca and McCloud, ca areas, anyone interested in meeting and sayinh Hi? 
 I will be around the area the rest of May, then camping part of the Summer in  western Montana and Wyoming.   Would be nice to meet some of the tribe along the way.   
See you down the road  :D
RollingOm

Is the snow gone from up there yet? It's only May...

Probably not. I was there last year late June, and there was still some snow at Bunny Flats, that's why I will hang around in McCloud for a while.  Snow might be gone at Castle Crags  :D

RollingOm

travelaround said:
I'll be in that area at the end of June. That is the plan.

The area should be hikeable by then, and there's the Stewart mineral springs nearby (for a fee).   The mountain alone is awe inspiring  :) .
Make sure to check the Sacramento Headwaters too, supposedly you can drink directly from the source, I saw a lot of people filling gallons of water, but I just took a little sip.   :s 

Back in 2017 some of the creeks were contaminated with giardia for a few days. I would be very careful.

I have been to the headwaters many times as I used to live in that county. I lived in Happy Camp for 13 years... which is why I'm going back to spend part of my summer there. We used to take empty water bottles to Mt. Shasta to fill at the headwaters, in Mt. Shasta City Park. Great water! I haven't been to Stewart Mineral Springs. Maybe I'll go this time.

Travelround, I loved Happy Camp last time I was there, and I had for breakfast some of the biggest hotcakes ever  :shy:
The trip from Yreka to Happy Camp on highway 96 was awesome!  I only had a little scary stretch when the loggers drove too close behind me    :s other than that, the trip was perfect.  I only went for the day, took a picture with the bigfoot statute and left.  I saw many campgrounds along the way, so I think I might be staying there and exploring more this time.   That place is beautiful!  I also know there's bears galore..... any campground you would recommend?  I'm driving on a pick up with a snugtop.

My favorite campground near Happy Camp has been closed due to a landslide that took out part of the access road. Right in Happy Camp there's a Forest Service campground on the south side of the river: Curly Jack Campground. Twelve miles south on Elk Creek Road (unpaved most of the way) there are two campgrounds: Norcross and Sulphur Springs (with a small geothermal pool). The trail going south from Sulphur Springs heads into the Marble Mountain Wilderness.

I don't know much about the other campgrounds in the area - except there's one Forest Service campground south of Seiad Valley, called Grider Creek Campground. It is very nice with the creek running through. It is also an access point for the Pacific Crest Trail.

Of course, there's always dispersed camping in the Klamath National Forest... you can spend 2 weeks anywhere on Forest Service property, then move to another spot 25 miles away and park there for two weeks. Then leave.... according to their rules. Or... find some nice resident to let you park on their land.

highdesertranger said:
" I had for breakfast some of the biggest hotcakes ever."

you are talking about Seiad Valley not Happy Camp,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seiad_Valley,_California

read the article all the way they talk about the Flap Jacks under Culture.

also if you read the article you will see why I have been there.

highdesertranger
I bet I have been there, and I didn't even know it  :D

Latest posts