New vandweller on the road!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

osanmat

Reaction score
Hi everyone, just wanted to introduce myself, establish a rhythm, and look forward to syncing up with a group or groups along the way toward the next RTR.

My name is Mat, and a few weeks ago, I just got tired of the 9-5 of spending my entire life at a job, and only checking in to my house on the evenings and weekends. I’ve always loved to travel (before I joined the Air Force, and definitely after). I ended up retiring from an awesome career in the Air Force, which provides a slight buffer from being on the road with no income.

As for starting this journey, I hit the road in a 2002 Sprinter hightop diesel, and it’s been a great trip so far. I left the Pittsburgh PA area on Friday Sept 31st, and I’m now writing this from Cheyenne Wyoming. What a trip! I initially intended to head toward Yellowstone, but now I just want to head toward New Mexico and find a patch of BLM land to sort through all of the things I packed up for the expedition, and thin it down even more. 

I found the van on Craigslist in Ohio, and just happened to get a killer deal. I definitely needed to put money into it with rusty brake lines, front bearings, brakes, etc. I then built it out after watching tons of YouTube videos and scouring van conversion forums. I’ll save the buildout for another post, but it basically feels like a cabin inside. I got much of the tech off the shelf instead of building it in, this allows me to transfer it to another vehicle once I realize that the van might be bigger than I need. I’ve currently got a 100w briefcase solar panel, a GoalZero Yeti battery, an ARB fridge, and currently only a folding camp toilet (torn between faster based or bucket), besides there are a ton of rest stop and retail restrooms to use along the way.

I owe everything to a huge list of those of you mainly on YouTube, but through the ton of sites I’ve referenced to get started... originally iamjake, but of course Bob from CheapRVliving, Panda Monium, Caravan Carolyn, Carolyn’s RV Life, Campervan Kevin, and so many others. Thank you all for the wisdom you’ve passed along, I’ll be forever grateful.

So long story short (as I assume there is a limit to the size of a post), I’m in Cheyenne headed South through Colorado and eventually New Mexico. Hope to meet up with anyone headed that direction. Along with the other things I’ve brought along, I’ve got a ton of extra building materials such as caulk, construction adhesive, a whole extra roll of Reflectix, and the use of my tools that I would like to donate to whoever might need them.

Hey there Mat! Couple of wonderful BLM spots in NM:

Near Arroyo Hondo on the way to Santa Fe, on the rim of the Rio Grande Gorge

Fort Stanton BLM, just east of the lovely little town of Capitan. On the east side of the road there is a horse camp with toilets. On the west side, dirt roads leading to a series of beautiful high ridges with million dollar views.

The Dire Wolfess