Motorcycling and Nomads: Who's doing it?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tx2sturgis

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is my first time to start a thread here...I have looked around on the board and haven't found very much information that deals with how full-timers and nomads are bringing a motorcycle along for the journey.

Of course many do, but there does not seem to be much information in one area.

My plans are still in the 'gel' stage, nothing solid or set in stone yet.

I currently own two motorcycles, one with a sidecar, and plan to bring one of them, or possibly both, when I retire early next year and can make the transition to full time living-on-wheels.

My goal, which is still a moving target, is to build out a box truck, (which would be my third conversion) or possibly, to buy a smaller RV, and tow my cargo trailer with one bike on board, and probably store the other bike for the foreseeable future, or possibly sell it.

Anyway the reason for the thread is I would like to know from those of you who are traveling and/or boondocking with a motorcycle in a trailer, on a hitch rack, (or stuffed into the back of your van or box truck) how it works for you, what are the advantages, the disadvantages, the perks, etc.

I know a bike is gonna come in handy for trips to the store, running errands, having fun exploring the local area. Stuff like that.

But have you found the convenience worth the extra work involved in owning, insuring, maintaining, loading, and unloading it all the time.

Also, has anyone had a vehicle breakdown where the bike was used to get parts for a repair or simply to go get help?

And if you did carry a larger bike along, did you find that a scooter or moped, or small dual-sport bike worked better in the long run, being lighter and cheaper to own and maintain?

I am an experienced motorcyclist, but jumping off the ledge to go full time is something I have yet to do.

Interesting stories and thread drift are certainly welcome!

Thanks in advance for any input.

:cool:

As for loading pitbull trailer restraint system.....that takes care of one major hassle.

Oasisofmysoul has been traveling for years with his pitbull in a sidecar.

I travelled basically full time for a while when I road raced. If I wasn't racing I was working the event. I took my van with a hitch carrier and my team mate in a Chevy express with harbor freight trailer on the WERA national series, endurance series, and AMA Pro circuit. We gathered what room we could for used race tires we got dirt cheap and sold them to street riders to fund our travels. Sometimes 4-5 dozen sets stuffed anywhere they'd go.

The one and only reason I'm not out there on a side car setup now is I don't have the dough to buy one but have my high top Chevy already.

Can't comment on whether it's worth the hassle, it depends on your finances. Like I said I'd be out there with just the sidecar personally. If I were to do both I'd get like a 250 dual sport just for ease of loading, low weight, go on trails, good mpg, etc

bardo said:
Oasisofmysoul has been traveling for years with his pitbull in a sidecar.

-snip-

I travelled basically full time for a while when I road raced.

-snip-

The one and only reason I'm not out there on a side car setup now is I don't have the dough to buy one but have my high top Chevy already.

Oasis guy made some of his videos riding the Ural with sidecar, which is what I own...a very fun bike.

Yeah the sidecar is much more practical for grocery runs and such, but its a bit heavy and wide for a smaller trailer. It does have the very great advantage of being rideable in snow and on ice, which fits in with my plans to camp in cooler areas, I'm NOT very tolerant of temps much above 80 degrees, or so...I prefer cooler temps and maybe some light snow for camping.

Your racing background sounds very interesting...I'd love to see pictures or videos, or just sit around a campfire and hear some stories.

For one weekend several years ago, I got to work on the pit crew for a man and wife race team at the AHDRA held at the dragstrip in Sturgis, SD.

What a great time that was...and I learned a LOT!

I bring a 4wheeler.  I find it indispensable for what I do.  I carry mine in a trailer.  when I build my bigger trailer I will bring both of mine.

oregon 032 - Copy.JPG

oregon 033 - Copy.JPG

highdesertranger

Attachments

• oregon 032 - Copy.JPG
    oregon 032 - Copy.JPG
    717.2 KB
  • oregon 033 - Copy.JPG
    oregon 033 - Copy.JPG
    888.3 KB
Those are cool videos....I have never done that but it looks like fun...I have ridden a few sport bikes on demos and such, but where I live, there are none of those events close by.

I read about 'track days' and all I can do is wish....

But you know, after the goal is met, I should have the time and the money to do or see many of the things on my bucket list.

Thanks for sharing.

I built my own cargo trailer that I live in while on the road. Not full time but usually put about 30 nights a year in it. It's only 6x12 but I could live in it full time if I could convince my wife to go full time. At the back I have fold up sofa beds and my KLR 650 fits between them so I can still sleep on the road without unloading. The beds are only 24'' wide though so some may find that too narrow for a good nights sleep. It works for me though. When camped out and the bike is unloaded I have a board that connects the beds so it's wider than a queen. My trailer has a rear ramp door so the bike is super easy to load.

Later this year I'm hoping to get a quad also, for work but also to explore the mountains and deserts as my current truck is a crew cab dually and I don't like getting it into to tight of spots. My KLR is great, but rocky stream crossings and tight single track are a lot of work on a 400 lb bike. I currently have a heavy duty hitch hauler, but I'm going to make a new one to haul the KLR that will also allow me to tow behind it. Then the quad can go in the trailer with the beds folded up. I wouldn't do this plan with a lighter duty truck, or pretty much any van, as the hitch weight with the bike and trailer will likely be about 800 lbs and the trailer tongue will be connected about 2' farther back. But with a dually that includes factory air bag assist and a class V hitch I feel comfortable with it. If I were to start from scratch I would probably get a 20' cargo trailer and build it with an 8 ft garage in the back to hold quad, motorcycle, tools, etc, and then have a 12 ft living area in front. But this is what I have so I'm making it work.

Hello Brian!

first, I personally know MANY guys that live 'full time' on their bikes...including Beemerchef, (Ara, the guy on the BMW with his dog in the hack) here's his blog:  http://theoasisofmysoul.com/

Another friend of mine is Scotty Kerekes...ie: ScotterTrampScotty. He's been living on his Harley for over 25 years. (you may have seen him Sturgis, as he works the national rally circuit) He's got a great blog and YouTube channel. https://www.youtube.com/user/scottykerekes

Another guy I know is Kevin Bean're, who also lives full time on his chopper. Another real character, and fun guy. https://www.youtube.com/user/MrBeanre/videos

There's Joe Sparrow, who travels the country working for J&P Motorcycle Parts, and tours quite oftern with Bean're... https://www.youtube.com/user/couchboyjoe  

and there's the legendary Panhead Billy. Billy has been living FULL TIME on the road, on his panhead...for OVER 35 YEARS!!!!

So, to answer your question...YES this can be done, and quite successfully as well!

One thing I'd say, is I'd be inclined to get a mid-size dual-sport, like a KLR for a toad to bring with ya. Big enough to do highway miles, but light enough to ride back woods trails on.

I'd love to travel the national motorcycle rally circuit myself, as I'm a pinstriper/airbrusher, and I have several friends who do this for a living...but I have my shop/graphics business out here on the coast, and all our kids and grandkids live right here in town, so we do travel quite a bit, but full time just ain't gonna happen for me. Ah well!

Catch me when Sturgis rolls around again!!

the Barge & teardrop.jpg

Attachments

• the Barge & teardrop.jpg
    the Barge & teardrop.jpg
    95.9 KB
tx2sturgis said:
Also, has anyone had a vehicle breakdown where the bike was used to get parts for a repair or simply to go get help?
I wasn't full timing but I was on a camping trip in my old '73 van when it had a break down. I had my DR350 dual sport in the back so I rolled it out, rode into the nearest town for parts and came back. It saved me lots of headaches.
I am a big proponent of having a lightweight dual sport along.

I currently have a road bike and some carbed scooters. When time comes I will swap my road bike for a 250# FI scooter and carry it on a receiver hitch carrier.

I recently picked up a 125cc Honda Grom which I tote around on a hitch carrier. 
I enjoy the peace of mind knowing I can run for repair parts, supplies, etc.. 
The bike weighs about 220 lbs wet so I can easily load / unload.

IMG_0134.JPG

:D

Attachments

• IMG_0134.JPG
    IMG_0134.JPG
    131.6 KB
The Grom (or the Kawi equivilant) is on my short list but I am 6'. Have you taken the Grom on forest roads or BLM land? I'd be using it for putting around and milk runs, not crazy stuff.

frater secessus said:
The Grom (or the Kawi equivilant) is on my short list but I am 6'.   Have you taken the Grom on forest roads or BLM land?  I'd be using it for putting around and milk runs, not crazy stuff.

I've done quite a few miles on some forest/BLM roads already with no issues at all. However, I do plan on replacing the tires with a set of DOT rated knobbies (Maxxis 6024s) for some added peace of mind off of the pavement.

BTW- I'm 5'11" and feel extremely comfortable on the Grom. Ditto on the Kawi z125, which I looked at as well. Both are really cool bikes with some nice features!  

I see several problems riding that bike off road. IMO if you are going to do off highway and highway a much better option is a dual sport. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
I see several problems riding that bike off road.  IMO if you are going to do off highway and highway a much better option is a dual sport.   highdesertranger

Mostly it is a grocery getter, but problems riding BLM and forest roads???   Do tell.  

Grom.jpg

Attachments

• Grom.jpg
    Grom.jpg
    12.6 KB
here's a few problems I can see right off the bat,
front fender sits down on the front tire like a street bike. stuff is going to get caught in between.
lowest point between the tires is the exhaust. it's going to take hits.
engine is exposed, no protection. rocks are going to get kicked up from the front tire and hit the engine.
those are big things I can spot right off. more minor issues,
no cross bar on the handlebars = weak design
seat set up for street riding, leans the rider forward. going to be uncomfortable and beat the rider up off road.
I have tried to ride a few street bikes off road, it's not very fun.
highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
here's a few problems I can see right off the bat,
front fender sits down on the front tire like a street bike.  stuff is going to get caught in between.
lowest point between the tires is the exhaust.  it's going to take hits.
engine is exposed,  no protection.  rocks are going to get kicked up from the front tire and hit the engine.
those are big things I can spot right off.  more minor issues,
no cross bar on the handlebars = weak design
seat set up for street riding,  leans the rider forward.   going to be uncomfortable and beat the rider up off road.
I have tried to ride a few street bikes off road,  it's not very fun.
highdesertranger

Thanks for your input HDR! You make some very good points for people to consider. I know you like to forge some rough terrain, as I do, but I'm talking forest roads/BLM roads (off highway) riding. Not the true sense of off-road (NO roads).

In my case, this 125cc bike has more clearance, larger tires,more power and generally much more capable than the Honda Ruckus scooter it replaced. You might actually be surprised the places that little 50cc scooter would go. 

Since the bike is primarily used for grocery runs, errands, etc..  I am not planning any intense "off road" situations, otherwise a skid plate would be in order. Only the usual forest and BLM roads that I frequent (gravel, dirt and 2-track). 

Having grown up riding enduros and dirt bikes from a young age, the "exposed" engine is not an issue for me at all. I've never damaged an engine or exhaust riding on rough roads. It would take quite a large obstacle to cause that kind of damage to a bike and I don't see huge obstacles like that on forest and BLM roads. 

Have you ever sat on a grom? The riding position is quite comfortable actually, nothing like a crotch rocket. The handlebars are Pro-Taper Motocross bars (some of the strongest made).  There are actually a lot of people doing way more technical "off road" riding on these bikes than I ever will. If we catch up at the next RTR, you should take it for a spin, you may be impressed!!

Anyway, back on the OP's topic:  I really enjoyed the Honda Ruckus 50cc I had previously, but this little bike is way more fun and powerful, easier to load and the gas mileage is insane (100+ mpg). 
I do plan on building a better hitch carrier in the near future. The second hand Harbor Freight one I currently have has seen better days and doesn't quite fit the bike wheelbase as desired.  That being said, I really enjoy this bike, on and off the pavement,  especially after riding a 50cc scooter!

Latest posts