Motorcycle friendly reccomendation

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harleyrider

Reaction score
I bought an '89 Chieftain that I've been thinking about heading south in. Me and a riding buddy want to escape these chilly WV winters and stretch the riding season. Has anyone tried Thunder Gulch or any other motorcycle friendly spot. I don't need a beach. Full hook ups would be nice but I lived in a semi for 33yrs so safe parking is my first concern. My first ex wife in Cape Coral thinks finding a place to park down south in her area isn't difficult. Anyone have a good experience they can share?

I'm not sure I understand your question, are you going to tent camp in an RV Park? Why do you need full-hookups when you are on a Harley?
Bob

We will be driving a Winnebago Chieftain pulling a trailer with 2 Harleys. I'm just looking for some secure parking to get started. If we decide to stay a few months we can change locations.

well in that case, most private campgrounds will be as secure as they come. (just be alittle discrete about which ones)

when you first said Cheiftian, I was thinking an Indian!!! :D
(my buddy just bought a new Cheiftian. said he'll never buy another Harley again)

(Ehhhh...I knew you ment a Winnebago) :p

there's several of us on here, who are/were truckers, and ride these noisy air compressors, so you're in good company.

I build and paint bikes & hot-rods in my shop. As per usual, I'm building both again right now. :)

You may want to consider getting a campground membership like a Thousand Trails Zone Package. They offer full hookups and I've felt safe in the ones we stayed at here on the west coast. You'd have to do some research tho' to make sure that they have campgrounds and vacancies in the areas that you want to ride.

One of my brothers and his wife are full-time on their Harley (riding, not trailering). They will pick an area to explore, then use a campground in that locale as their home base from 2 weeks to 3 months at a time. (They will sometimes rent a room.)

Best of luck to you. I'll look forward to hearing what you decide to do.

Suanne

Patrick46 I'll bet your friend enjoys his new Chieftain. Since Polaris Ind. purchased Indian they have a chance at giving HD some competition. They have intro'd a new water cooled sport cruiser along with the Chieftain line. I'm impressed that you do custom work. It takes alot of tools and talent to turn out true customs not just stock with a bunch of bolt ons. I've been a gearhead all my life and enjoy doing most all of my work. I located copies of Trailer Life and Woodalls North American Campground Directory. I now have to get busy trying to find a suitable spot. Thanks for the responses folks.

Yeah...his Cheiftain is a NICE sled!!
but speaking of Polaris...I LOVE the Victory Cross Countrys!!!! I took one out for a test ride while in Sturgis this past summer. Nice!! (I'm a motorcycle junkee...I'll ride ANYTHING with 2 wheels and an engine...not just Harleys)

Thankyou for the sentiments about building stuff. I've never been one to stomach stock things, whether it's cars, trucks, or motorcycles. (which is why I love my customs)

Suanne is right on the Thousand Trails memberships. I have a riding partner, and him & his wife have had a TT membership for years, and in fact, just bumped it up to the next level higher as they love it so much! (something to consider.)

KOA's are usually pretty nice too, so that's another place to look into. (Kampgrounds of America)

Thanks for the link. Had a setback with the Winnie so plans for a departure have changed. I've done most of my own mechanical work all my life. Swapping in a new fuel pressure regulator on this particular model is not the easiest job. It's located between the fuel tank and the frame inside the frame rail. There is a hole in the frame with the regulator on a mounting bracket. The hole is for adjusting the regulator or an inspection. There is no possible way to remove it through the hole. So, down comes the fuel tank.

I got the tank unbolted and dropped it down with a floor jack/2x6. I managed to work the regulator over the top of the frame to unbolt the lines. It came apart with a little effort and only one busted knuckle. This particular regulator is no longer made. Holley part #12-803 is compatible with carbed engines and even fits the Winnebago mounting bracket perfectly. Advanced Auto got me one PDQ this morning. FI engines need the by pass version of the same regulator. All I need is for this rain to stop for a few hours. Forecast is calling for rain, dropping temps, and snow flurries this weekend.

Glad I'm out here now.

think I'll take the wife and go for a ride today!! Love the way fall smells on a bike. :D