motorcycle battery

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lampliter

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with setting up a second battery on a motorcycle?<br>Someone gave me a 400 watt inverter; is there any way to test it to see if it's good?<br>How do I hook it up? I'm thinking maybe a second battery in a saddle bag.<br>All comments welcome and thanks.<br><br><br><br><br><br>

Hey there good post..<div><br></div><div>To test the inverter, plug it in, make sure there is no smoke, smell etc, then make sure you can hear the fan running. If the fan is running, now take and plug in a lamp, it should come on.&nbsp;</div><div>Next step, check out all the appliances etc, to see what is 400 wtts and below, best of luck.</div>

Hi Lampliter....<br>I have been using two batteries on my Goldwing/Ural for quite some time. I found a great deal on a couple AGM batteries the exact same size as the original and had one in the sidecar and one in the bike...with an outdoor type plug so when I was camped I could unplug them and use my aux battery to run my CPAP machine for the night...once the rig was running again in the morning I would plug them back together.<br><br>Recently I replaced them both with one Group 24 size marine starter/deepcycle battery in the trunk of the sidecar.....I used automotive "starter to solenoid" cables to run from the bike to the battery...I am really liking it except for a failure to keep it hydrated...ooops....too many things for this olde pharte to remember.<br><br>I solved that memory problem the other day by selling the old subaru so I have one less rig to keep track of..lol<br><br>As to your question about the saddlebag...I don't know what you ride but if it has nice hard bags I don't see how it would be a problem..I think I would go AGM though....<br><br>I went AGM with every bike battery I could just to eliminate having the water evaporate so quick as it does here in NM. If I didn't have the marine battery already I would have bought an AGM for that too....<br><br>Good luck...<br>Bri<br><br>

Thanks Bri:<br>My saddle bags will be ammo cases--I plan on padding the one with the battery and using a water tight "thru the wall" type conduit connector to run the wires thru. <br>I ride a Suzuki Savage 650 "thumper". It's a nice little bike (350 lbs) and it's real easy to work on and add and subtract "things" to and from. I can take it into the backwoods with little or no problem.<br>Oh, by the way; I plan on using the extra battery for my shower pump, computer, cell phone and gps.<br><br>

Sounds like a great idea.... I have a couple friends who had the LS650...nice thumper. <br>I like the idea lampliter...should work just fine.Keep us posted....<br>Bri<br><br><br><br>