most mechanics won't work on a chevy van because it's too big?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had two places which had to make adjustments - the van was too heavy and unwieldy with its solar panels and cargo boxes on top for one dealer to lift it up - but the mechanic simply used floor jacks. The other place the van was too heavy for a new alignment machine to work.

Otherwise that's it! - And this van is heavy - I was astonished to see it that it actually exceeded payload at one point.

It's been quite reliable over 203K miles

My mechanic's reason for turning down my Chevy Express was because its high top makes it 10 feet tall! He would not be able to raise it on his lift to stand under it, and he won't lay on his back to work on anyone's vehicle. Even though I would sometimes need work that didn't require him sliding under it, he insisted his rule is that if the vehicle is that tall, he won't touch it at all (just in case).
My 1987 Chevy motorhome is easily as tall as yours and my mechanic - who operates his own independent garage that has NO hydraulic lift - is happy to do just about any work I need.

Your mechanic clearly makes more money than mine if he can refuse work with such an arbitrarily sissy rule about refusing to work on his back.

My advice is to seek out a real mechanic, not a Prima Donna.

Your mechanic clearly makes more money than mine if he can refuse work with such an arbitrarily sissy rule about refusing to work on his back.

My advice is to seek out a real mechanic, not a Prima Donna.
It's great to find a good mechanic when you're in one location but when you're out on the road you sometimes have to take whatever you can get.

Try a shop that works on big trucks, not semi's that's a specialty but box trucks, dump trucks, diesel, RVe, ect) Also consider shops that are further from the city.