More BS to keep track of

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I remember living in Denver. If it's snowing, which was pretty common back then, evening rush hour would be a mess, as the temperatures plummet as soon as it gets dark. I remember one time, there were 400 wrecks in one evening.

I remember one time coming back from skiing, we entered the Eisenhower tunnel doing 65, and came out the other side doing 10. The steep hill above Georgetown was full of wrecks. People were backing down Floyd Hill, because they couldn't get up it. We went down Clear Creek Canyon, and a pickup pulling a horse trailer had slid across blocking both lanes of the highway. I stopped going skiing on weekends after that. Nightmare on tires.

read the actual law here's the part the article was trying to use scare tactics with,

WHEN ICY OR SNOW-PACKED CONDITIONS EXIST ON THE
HIGHWAY, THE DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION MAY RESTRICT TRAVEL
ON OR USE OF ANY PORTION OF A STATE HIGHWAY BY ANY MOTOR VEHICLE
UNLESS THE MOTOR VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH THE FOLLOWING: TIRE
CHAINS OR AN ALTERNATE TRACTION DEVICE; FOUR-WHEEL DRIVE WITH
TIRES THAT HAVE A TREAD DEPTH OF AT LEAST THREE SIXTEENTHS OF AN
INCH AND THAT ARE ADEQUATE FOR THE CONDITIONS; ALL-WHEEL DRIVE
WITH TIRES THAT HAVE A TREAD DEPTH OF AT LEAST THREE SIXTEENTHS OF
AN INCH AND THAT ARE ADEQUATE FOR THE CONDITIONS; OR TIRES THAT ARE
IMPRINTED BY A MANUFACTURER WITH A MOUNTAIN-SNOWFLAKE, "M&S",
"M+S", OR "M/S" SYMBOL OR THAT ARE ALL-WEATHER RATED BY THE
MANUFACTURER AND THAT HAVE A TREAD DEPTH OF AT LEAST THREE
SIXTEENTHS OF AN INCH.

in other words if your tires are bald you better be chained up. this is not only common sense but has been law in many parts of the country. actually I am surprised it wasn't already a law in Colorado.

highdesertranger

Chains on bald tires may be an interesting scenario.

The same is required in Oregon. I got Cooper Discoverer mud and snow 10 plys on the van to comply, so I can still run around in all the "snow zones" which include the interstates. Last winter I was snowed in for a while, even with chains all around.   ~crofter

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/...MIupyUxdXe5QIVgeNkCh2x0gYZEAQYBSABEgKhA_D_BwE

And they have this special snowflake symbol which makes them legal in Oregon. My tires failed in AZ so I bought these in Yuma and they were fine driving up in the cool of the day. I would not use them in AZ during the heat.   ~crofter

https://info.kaltire.com/what-is-th...mbol indicates,have the severe service symbol.

[font=arial, sans-serif]"The mountain snowflake symbol indicates a winter tire meets the minimum requirements for providing traction in harsh conditions, though some tires exceed the symbol's requirements. You might be wondering why tires marked M+S ('mud' and 'snow'), also known as all-season tires, don't have the severe service symbol."[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]If you look at the tire you will see it there. Otherwise plan on putting on chains and driving 20 mph.    ~crofter
[/font]

Speaking of scare tactics, another time I was driving my Jeep south from Boulder along 93, heading up to go skiing. Halfway to I-70, there was another exact same Jeep next to the road flipped over on its side, next to an ice patch. My passenger said, 'Maybe we better go back". Winter in Colorado can be fun.

Some people should just stay home in the winter.

I was just reading from the article. This is one of the reasons I don't watch or listen to the news anymore, misreporting. If the world falls apart around me, so be it.

I don't understand. Are you saying they didn't pass a law?

They passed a law but the way the article was written led me to believe you had to have 4x4 or awd plus the other stuff. Go read the article, the link is there.

they passed a law but the law doesn't read like what they were portraying in the article. highdesertranger

Oh I see what you mean ... where it says "plus" ...

"tire chains, all-weather tires, or tires with a tread depth of three-sixteenths of an inch — plus four-wheel or all-wheel drive...".

Fun pictures of Colorado ... been there, done that for 25 years, still alive, thank you.
https://www.google.com/search?q=snow+on+I-70&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X

This article may be closer to it.
https://www.cpr.org/2019/09/05/i-70-snow-tires-law-colorado/

"That’s if you’re planning on going anywhere on Interstate 70 between Morrison and Dotsero from now through May -- and you're not in a four-wheel-drive or all-wheel-drive vehicle. Drivers along that stretch are required to have snow tires or some alternative traction control device, like chains or tire socks.

Four-wheel drive or all-wheel drive vehicles must have a tread depth of three-sixteenths of an inch. Commercial vehicles also need to have tire chains".

Instead of quoting the law which is easy to understand, they had to paraphrase it which changed the meaning. Some great reporting, huh? Now you see my frustration with the media.

lopicma said:
Looks like Colorado is offering up yet another law.  This time it's tires for the winter.  Luckily, most will be out of CO when the snow flies, but if not, get yourself a new set of tires, or pay the fine.  Yippy!

https://gazette.com/news/new-winter...cle_d45871ec-96cc-5b26-a6e3-cfc9735fd2d7.html
The article says it is not going to be strictly enforced the first year. Of course it is obvious that many people won't have the funds to rush out and buy compliant tires right away so at least they are being realistic and lenient with the public.

Qxxx said:
Wyoming is not quite Colorado, but some of the most incredible video I've ever seen.
Multi truck crash from 2015, tragic that the people filming did not know enough to put out a few flares, call 911, and start flagging down traffic with their headlights.    ~crofter

You'll notice from the 2nd link that the highway crews were already there, so ???

It looked like the crews were not slowing down the traffic though. Do you carry flares? I don't but after seeing this I plan to get some. Flashing your headlights at people can also give the other drivers a heads up if they are paying attention, or they get pissed cause you flashed your lights.    ~crofter

Latest posts