Monthly Food Expenses

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/3110046/slideshow/292706

Recipe link using coffee maker.
WalMart sells boiled eggs near the veggie section. Can use for sandwiches or add to a side McD salad.
Hellman's mayo used to say on their web site you could keep their mayo unrefrigerated. The big thing is not to allow it to be in contact with anything else. Use a small squeeze bottle and hold it above your food or bread being careful not to let the tip touching anything.
I have gotten a $1 styrofoam ice chest at the local Dollar Tree. Several gas stations sell a large drink for less than a dollar and will sell you a refill of ice for about 30cents. I got cups from two gas stations,one had thick plastic cups,the other cheap lids with styrofoam cups. I took the 2 good plastic lids and put them on the styrofoam cups filled with ice. This allowed me to put them in the little ice chest with a small pkg of ham,some cheddar cheese from the Dollar tree & some hot dogs. (Keep foods in Ziploc bags). As the ice melted it also gave me cold water to drink.
You could probably do this as well with a rotisserie chicken. Find a park,eat,debone the leftovers & place in small ziplocs in a little styrofoam cooler. Cover with Reflectix if you have it while it is in your car,or a towel to add insulation.
Your list looks great! Canned foods,soups,ham,some lunch meats,all contain a lot of sodium so fresh is better if you can get it. Being in the city makes fresh.much easier than boondocking in a desert for several weeks many miles from a store. Powdered milk can taste nasty depending on what kind you get but it does have some protein in it. A splash of vanilla extract helps the taste as does cold water. I make an iced coffee with instant coffee,powdered milk mixed with a little warm water to dissolve,then add cold water and ice to it. I have made hot chocolate with the packets at a campground with hot faucet water. Adding powdered milk (dry) to your oatmeal can up your protein intake as well as calcium. Being frugal doesn't have to equate with eating unhealthy if
we make wise choices on how and where to spend our money.
If you are living in your car in the city,think of it as where you sleep. You kitchen/dining room can be a park,a lot of a grocery store, a small cafe. Some libraries have a room where you can drink & eat in. Pack The city is your living room,your backyard,front yard and side yard. Don't allow where you sleep to limit what you eat. Your body needs good nourishment to keep it fueled.

Zizzer_Zazzer_Zuz said:
I have been using angel hair pasta. It's thinner and.cooks more quickly. I can also get shorty boxes of the stuff so it fits nicely in the pan.

Yes, angel hair pasta is great. Cooks fast, less fuel. Delicious served cold in warm weather with thin sliced green onions (scallions), small pieces chopped red bell pepper and cucumber, soy sauce and toasted sesame oil. Add an avocado. It's a light, refreshing summer meal. If you go exotic, you can sprinkle in black sesame seeds. For heat, a few red chile pepper seeds.

Can of chili with some angel hair pasta, canned tomatoes, onion if you got it. Maybe just a little ground beef if you got it. Spice to taste. A big 'ol pot for about $3

Take a can tuna, add one egg, add whatever you got to absorb egg; crackers, croutons, bread crumbs. Make into patty and bake or fry......A main course for under $1 with off brand tuna

I would suspect that eating on the road would cost about the same as what it costs at home now, assuming no (or few) restaurants or takeout. Living on Ramen could get old pretty fast.

Shopping and cleaning up more frequently, less storage, setting up and breaking down for some, it is a bit more effort in a small rig.

More tempting to take the easier less healthy options for those that (think they) can afford it.

highdesertranger said:
my 2 cents,
I don't know what part of the country you are in but where I am at out west it's very common for people to cook outside.  95% of all parks have BBQ's and allow outside cooking.  not only that but at almost any construction site you will find workers cooking outside with a stove.  same for agriculture workers.  at sporting events from High School to the Pro's people cook outside in the parking lots.  what I am getting at that it is not uncommon for people to cook outside even in the cities.  if I was you I would loose my fear about cooking outside.  highdesertranger

Sorry I haven't been able to reply to this thread in a couple weeks.

Now that the weather is nice, I'll be able to do outside cooking at parks, but mostly from the back of my Prius. I plan on making a slide out kitchen table, where i can prepare food and cook with a burner (which I haven't bought yet). I'm in Iowa, so during the winter it will not be possible to cook outside, plus it gets dark by 5 PM usually.

abnorm said:
I want to thank Ya'll for this thread and the various suggestions.........I knew I was spending too much....Just LAZY going to the closest grocery store and back home........Altho I still can't imagine eating as lean as some of you do...but you inspired me

Glad to see this thread was of use to you.

Zizzer_Zazzer_Zuz said:
I'm gonna pat myself on the back here for a minute so bare with me.

6 months ago I ate about 80%-100% of my meals at resteraunts/fast food. I decided I wanted remain living and made huge changes in my eating habits.

As of today I have lost 72 pounds. Math isn't my strong point but that's like 20% of my body mass.

I've been meaning to respond to your post but became busy.

Congratulations on losing 72 pounds, that's awesome. Keep us updated on the progress!

mdoverl said:
I've been meaning to respond to your post but became busy.

Congratulations on losing 72 pounds, that's awesome. Keep us updated on the progress!
Thank you. As of yesterday it's 80 pounds. That's like half freaking person!

My Docs are happy and I just dropped a high blood pressure prescription.

Dinner last night was chicken and brocali in black bean sauce over rice.

Soak frozen boneless skinless chicken breast in black bean paste
Set rice to cook in rice cooker
Onion
Green pepper
Saute 3-5 minutes
Garlic
Ginger
Saute 3-5 minutes
Cut semi thawed chix in bite sized peices
Add chiken
Cook for 3-5 minutes
Add brocali
Add several spoons of black bean paste
Add a little.water
Cook until brocali is done
Add water ans corn starch to thicken sauce

Serve over rice

Many of the chinese cooking saucea do not requirw refridgeration. Black bean and garlic sauce is one. Others that I keep on hand and do not keep chilled, soy sauce, fish sauce, black bean paste, thai red curry, all maner of I dian chutmeys.

I have also been experimenting with plantains (like big bannanas) and not only do they not need refridgeration they keep for weeks and are best used when the skin is very dark. I have also fallen in love with powdered cocnut milk. So easy to make curry for one without opening a 10 once can of coconut milk.

Tonight is BBQ and beer. I've earned it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mdoverl said:
 . . . I'm in Iowa, so during the winter it will not be possible to cook outside, plus it gets dark by 5 PM usually.

You are going to have a serious condensation (or ice buildup) problem if you are cooking anything that generates steam if in a Prius.  You will probably have more condensation than you want just sleeping in it.

-- Spiff

Spaceman Spiff said:
You are going to have a serious condensation (or ice buildup) problem if you are cooking anything that generates steam if in a Prius.  You will probably have more condensation than you want just sleeping in it.

-- Spiff

I don't cook in the Prius, i don't cook at all really. Condensation while sleeping is taken care of by cracking the windows and running heat on low at night, not really a problem when weather is warmer

Every Road Leads Home said:
I spend way too much on food, something i'm not proud of and it's just for myself.  I'd guesstimate I spend about $600 a month.  I do eat out a lot.  One of my goals this year was to seriously reduce my food budget while still eating healthy. So far i've not been doing too good a job at it!

I spend too much as well! Any ideas would be appreciated, I am staying away from fast food/processed food and I'd like to try a raw/whole food way now because I don't have the time to cook.

minimotos95 said:
I think my 3 month average is going to land somewhere around $65-70/mo March was $66.50, April will be $72.55(plus I ate out once: $2.00 for a donut and large coffee).

After eating out one more time, my 3 month average came to $87.46/mo $2.92/day
But I bought some unnecessary stuff, like beer for mother's day, and I bought enough coffee to last me through the end of July.
Minus that stuff it came to $72.96, $2.43 a day

I am very impressed with those here who are eating on the cheap cheap I will have to see what I am spending and eating and get back to you all in a months or so time I will say I camp most of the year as I like the outdoors my major concern is having enough gas monies to change locations every so often for change of scenery. I come back indoors when it gets to cold for me usually some time in Oct.

John61CT said:
Shopping and cleaning up more frequently, less storage, setting up and breaking down for some, it is a bit more effort in a small rig.

More tempting to take the easier less healthy options for those that (think they) can afford it.

I dont get why you dont see more people pulling little HF trailers with a small box built on top just for water and food storage.

bardo said:
I dont get why you dont see more people pulling little HF trailers with a small box built on top just for water and food storage.
The smallest have speed ratings that make them impraticle.

Insurence and tags on trailers is an added expense that many would rather avoid.

Trailers, especialy cheap ones don't handle dirt and gravel roads well.

I am considering a trailer for my skoolie. Maybe a scooter on a hitch rack. We'll see how things go.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

jeez people keep it on subject, I just deleted pages of unrelated BS and bickering. if you want to have a civil conversation about the pros and cons of a small trailer start a thread. highdesertranger

Zizzer_Zazzer_Zuz said:
I'm gonna pat myself on the back here for a minute so bare with me.

6 months ago I ate about 80%-100% of my meals at resteraunts/fast food. I decided I wanted remain living and made huge changes in my eating habits.

As of today I have lost 72 pounds. Math isn't my strong point but that's like 20% of my body mass.
Help me understand something... First off, before that, congrats on your weight loss, getting off the mess, likely avoiding type 2 diabetes and its nasty complications, a coronary etc.!  :)

This is not a diet thread but did you dramatically cut calories, carbs, fats, what?  I understand that eating out can be very caloric and fat heavy, so what did you do to average a 12 pound weight loss?  :huh:

This world isn said:
Help me understand something... First off, before that, congrats on your weight loss, getting off the mess, likely avoiding type 2 diabetes and its nasty complications, a coronary etc.!  :)

This is not a diet thread but did you dramatically cut calories, carbs, fats, what?  I understand that eating out can be very caloric and fat heavy, so what did you do to average a 12 pound weight loss?  :huh:

Thanks. I was doing some yard work in my fat pants and a guy I met recently came over and was SHOCKED at how huge these pants are on me. As in held up with a belt pulled tight. I think he sort of doubted my claim of 80 pounds lost at this point and now believes. :)

First off I reduced my food budget immensely. I stopped eating out almost entirely and have given up fast food entirely. I may go to the local watering hole tonight and get myself a beer and whatever goodness they have going on with the food trucks that rotate through.

Next, I cook almost everything myself, from as close to scratch as I can manage. I eat a lot of fruits and veggies. I LOVE yogurt with fruit and have been buying just plain yogurt and adding my fresh or frozen fruit with no added sugar. I eat the full fat whole milk greek yogurt.

The other big one is meal planning, portion size and limited leftovers. I cook ... or at least try to cook so that I don't have leftovers which tend to just be temptation to eat it all anyways and then I eat too much and don't have leftovers.

Portion control is huge. As for meat think a deck of cards not a paperback book for portions. I also buy much of my meat in larger packaging then repackage at home for single servings and freeze everything. In the morning I pull out a ziplock with whatever I'm going to have for dinner that night. For flavor sausage, italinan for pasta, charizo for mexican, harbor sausage for chinese, I tend to use just half a piece in a small recipe ... just for flavor not as a major ingredient. I cut all of that down in to ~2 once servings and freeze on sheets then transfer to a baggie for storage.

I eat a lot of veggies. I cook about an onion a day. I eat several pieces of fruit a day. I eat several servings of veggies a day. I keep meat, seasoning, staples in abundance and then buy frsh fruits and veg 2-3 times a week.

I ferment food and grow a little bit as well. I make sauercraut, kimchi, kambucha, and any manner of vinegar pickled veggies.Mung bean, alfalfa, and spicey mixed sprouts are easy, super good for you and if you're parked or boondocking something you can do in a van or RV with relative ease.

The key, as far as I'm concerned is that I eat whatever I want, whenever I want, without guilt or remorse. The thing is that you must decide that you want to eat well and eat good food, and that food is fuel and that treats are just that. You can work miracles on rice and beans if you have a decent spice cabinet. Everyone knows how to do this... or at least most do and can learn the rest. We all know that oatmeal with dried fruit and nuts is better for us than a Denny's Grand Slam Breakfast or a Rooti Tooti Fresh and fruity from IHOP. I eat the better option and if that's home cooked oatmeal awesome. There is also usually a better option than Denny's or McDonalds. I would rather eat out less and not complain about the $9 burrito from the taco truck. I'de rather have A chocolate chip cookie from a bakery than a bag of oreos. 

It takes a conscious decision to eat the better choice. Eat more reasonable portions. Eat fresh. Learn to season food so that basic staples are delicious. When you eat treats, do it up! 

Yesterday I ate ...

2 eggs with taosted english muffin (butter for the pan and the toast)
bowl of couscous salad with TVP, cucumbers, quaso blanco, almonds, etc with about a half cup of kimchi
Pork chop that I set in maranaid for several hours, boiled potatoes and carrots
desert was whole fat greek yogurt with frozen peaches .. and a few squares of really good dark chocolate with dried cherries and cyanne pepper.

Today I'm starting with steel cut oats and coffee. Not sure what lunch will be, but tonight is food truck night and I will find something tasty to stuff in my maw.

Oh, you asked about excercise. Do some. Or don't. Or just do more. Here in a bit I will go out and mow the lawn. A year ago I couldn't do it. Today I will mow the entire thing with a large self propelled gas mower. It will take about three hours but it is almost 2 acres. 

Also, drink lots of water. I don't drink much else. Usually 2 cups of coffee in the morning, water all day, sometimes a seltzer, most nights I drink a beer or two. No juice. No soda. Just water. Lots and lots of water.

refreshing, common sense without all the obsessive dogma