Money/job issue is my biggest obstacle to living the RV life

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
GaiaGoddess said:
The $1.00 meat loaf pan I bought isn't going to stop that from happening. I love meatloaf and i'm not going to keep having my mom make it for me, cooking is one of my hobbies and it brings me great joy, if i want to make my own meatloaf damnit I can! lol

What people are trying to say is that you can have things but you have to prioritize what you want.

The pan is just a buck, big deal right. The thing is a buck applied to your debt now is worth more than a buck. Not only does it pay down the debt but reduces not only the interest being paid on the debt but the interest that will be paid on this months interest too.

$10 a month above the minimum payment makes a big difference in the end. Once the debt is gone you can buy all new pans with what you are not paying the credit card company.

It all boils down to what's important to you. It doesn't sound as though the possibility of travel is more important than the things you have now so go with that.

AngryVanMan said:
Well I can understand the minor safety concerns with not having a cell phone, but it's irrational for a man or woman to fear abduction, rape or murder roadside.  Best I can tell, there have been 675 cases of sexual assault (175 cases) or murder (~500 cases) on highways nationwide in this country since 1979.  

You have about a 1:250,000 chance of this happening to you over the course of your entire life.  You do have a 1:242 chance of being killed in a car accident, however.  Or 39 times more likely to die from falling over than falling victim to roadside crime - making a padded helmet a far better investment than a cell phone.  Death by lightning, dogs, salmonella, avalanches, and venomous/poisonous plants are all more likely as well.  This should not realistically be of concern to anyone.  

Perhaps the most glaring oversight, a cell phone is never going to stop a crime of opportunity - but if you've got your padded helmet on, you could try to ram the perp with your noggin, or take it off and swing it by it's strap like a medieval flail weapon!

lol True! I guess I have never worried about those kinds of things, but I do worry about being stranded alone with no way of getting help. And since i love to travel and want to do it more often, i think my risk of that happening goes up exponentially.

jimindenver said:
So for $35 a month I have coverage on all four carriers in one way or another. Even sitting here injured waiting for my back to heal I haven't been able to use up the high speed allotments, I rarely turn the Verizon 3G on.

Most of what you explained went over my head, lol I don't even know what a lot of those terms mean. This is why it's hard for me to run my own business. I am not a very smart person when it comes to stuff like this. I need it explained in laymans terms. Can you tell me how this mobile hotspot thing works for Verizon? Is it like a small unit you plug into your phone and carry around with you? It sounds like it would solve my problems but I don't know if I want to have to carry something around with me all the time, for example when I'm on break at work I check Facebook and some websites, I have to carry my food across the building and put my phone in my pocket, so would i have to carry this hotspot thing with me too?

AngryVanMan said:
That's what I thought too, which is why in my first reply I wanted to address the 'cold issue' and why you don't read about people turning into popsicles on a regular basis while driving back and forth to work or to friend's houses.  That second reply you quoted was concerning her specific objection about crime worries.

I don't recall your response to the "cold issue", like someone (sorry I forget the name) said a few posts back, your car breaking down in the south is an inconvienience, but in the north it's a tragedy. You don't hear about people freezing because they have cellphones to call for help. 

I think what she is most concerned about is having an excuse for every behavior and spending habit she has.  I don't have a problem with that, but I'm not totally sure she understands that her financial situation and poor spending habits is more likely to cause harm or have severe negative consequences vs. the various "health and welfare risks" rationale being put forward in an attempt to dismiss the suggestions she's solicited so far.

It isn't a concern of mine to come up with excuses, I don't even consider them that. I consider everything a cause and effect. The cause is ___ and that causes ____ to happen, that's all. And I still can't believe you think I have poor spending habits! Someone in a PM (who is being very supportive) said she can't believe nobody is giving me credit for buying my trailer outright, rather than go into debt with a mortgage or throw money away in an apartment. I have never spent money frivolously. I don't even go on vacations! The shoes I wear every day to work are 15 years old! The couch in my livingroom is 10 years old and has been handed down between 3 people! I didn't even want a couch but my friends kept complaining about having to sit on the folding chairs I was using. If this is about the $1 meatloaf pan, like I said, cooking is one of my hobbies and I won't compromise areas of my life that give me joy, since there are so few of them.

As it stands, she appears to spend more money in her household of one than I spend for a household of two, while making considerably less income.  I don't know what her true annual income is or what her true total spending is, but the baseline I'm working with is she makes 12-something per hour and works more or less full time and spending everything she earns.   A 12/hour full time position has about $19,500 take-home pay per year, which is about $3,000 more than we currently spend annually with health insurance and 2 vehicles on the road.
If I had 2 people in my household, I would be spending half of what I spend now. Trust me if I could get any sleep with a roommate here, I would have one.

LivingandLearning said:
I find life in the city to be overwhelming and over-stimulating.  I survive my life in the city and wait for opportunities to get on the road again.  I have children at home that need a mother.  I try to balance my desire to hit the road with my love and responsibility for them.

I am like you in that cities overwhelm and overstimulate me. I can't even drive in them without being constantly stressed that I am going to get into an accident. I plan to travel to small towns, out of the way areas, etc. As for kids, I am so glad I don't have any, but I still feel the need to be here at least on a regular basis for my nephews. I am their only aunt and they love me and say they never get to see me enough. That is why I don't just move down south and make it happen down there. I need more money than I would otherwise just so I can keep coming back home.

I agree, a shower is a lovely thing.  If camping out in the boonies, it is possible to rig a shower.  If going through cities, it's easy to get a shower at the Y (we have a membership).

This is one of the things I can't compromise on. I NEED a shower. I spent too much on a gym membership and regretted it almost immediately. Outdoor showers aren't for me either since I am big on privacy. I am an introverted almost secretive person. So showering anywhere but the confines of my living space is out of the question. I have done it in campground showers, but it takes twice as long since you have to carry everything with you in bags and try not to get stuff wet. 

When the nomadic lifestyle came to my attention, I thought I needed an RV.  I started plotting buying a second-hand RV.  I put a lot of energy into this effort when it occurred to me that I might not really like  it.  So, I rented an RV for a weekend.  You know what?  I didn't like it.  I didn't feel connected to my surroundings, and I found driving it to be a pain.  (Although I do love Tony and Karen's set-up and might be willing to drive one of those...)

With a van I feel really free.  I'm not limited by size requirements.  I can normally park in a regular parking space (although I am in a 15-passenger long van).

I can see the appeal of a van, or Class C RV, I am still not ruling that out. My friend has a small travel trailer and I love being in it to the point that I ask if we can just go sit in it because it makes me feel like I'm on vacation, lol I have gone to RV shows and felt like I was on cloud 9 the whole time. I just know that is what I want, not living in a car/truck/van. 

When you go camping, contemplate what would really be essential to make that your life.  Maybe you'll find you don't really want to make that your life, and that will be valuable information to you.  Maybe you do want to make that your life and you will find more opportunities as time goes by.  Maybe the little nest-egg from your dad will make that possible.

When i go camping, my prevalent thought is that I need an RV, lol I walk by the Rv section so jealous of them! My small cheap tent isn't even big enough for me to stand up in, it's hard to get dressed, there isn't enough room for me and my boyfriend's stuff, bugs get in way too easily, it's just the bare minimum I could afford to be able to go camping.

While I have a cluttered city house, I hate having anything extraneous in my van.  Here's what we have found necessary for a happy, comfortable life on the road:
* a comfortable place to sleep
* a convenient way to access our clothing and hygiene essentials
* a place to go to the bathroom (check out the bucket threads and videos)
* a way to keep bugs out--screens for the windows
* a camp stove and propane, a small saucepan, a fry-pan, and now I'm adding a small pressure cooker for beans and rice to save fuel, a way to store food
* water for drinking and washing
* a way to charge our electronics
* cup holders!
* friends are good, but not entirely necessary...you make more on the journey
I agree on all those things!  :)

I can't remember what kind of vehicle you have, but it may be possible to lose the tent and sleep in the car.  Many people here manage to live in small cars and SUVs.  You may find that the stuff you thought was essential is just getting in the way of you really living.  As you go out on your time off, you can think about what's working and what's not.  It's not all or nothing.  I think most people would tell you it's a process.  My van is going though it's third remodel to become more functional for long-term dwelling.

I have a Ford Escape, I COULD sleep in it if i had to, but then where would I put all my stuff that was sitting in it? lol I want a living space I can walk around in, for rainy days. That is why an RV is the best option for me.

jimindenver said:
What people are trying to say is that you can have things but you have to prioritize what you want.

The pan is just a buck, big deal right. The thing is a buck applied to your debt now is worth more than a buck. Not only does it pay down the debt but reduces not only the interest being paid on the debt but the interest that will be paid on this months interest too.

$10 a month above the minimum payment makes a big difference in the end. Once the debt is gone you can buy all new pans with what you are not paying the credit card company.

I do pay more than the minimum payment IF I have money left over that month. And I don't need any new pans, the only thing I still didn't have was the meat loaf pan, lol I am good to go now.

jester said:
It all boils down to what's important to you.  It doesn't sound as though the possibility of travel is more important than the things you have now so go with that.

The things I have now are the bare minimum I need to get by, I can't NOT have a place to live or a vehicle or a cellphone or insurance or electricity or water, etc. Travel IS important to me but my survival has to be more. I can only travel when I figure out a way to afford to survive and have extra money.

Above all you've got to make your own choices, and I respect that totally. I have a different way of evaluating risk, making financial decisions, etc. We each buy and shape our futures with those decisions, and that's all I can really offer you is a perspective different from your own at the end of the day.

GaiaGoddess said:
It isn't a concern of mine to come up with excuses, I don't even consider them that. I consider everything a cause and effect. The cause is ___ and that causes ____ to happen, that's all. And I still can't believe you think I have poor spending habits! Someone in a PM (who is being very supportive) said she can't believe nobody is giving me credit for buying my trailer outright, rather than go into debt with a mortgage or throw money away in an apartment. I have never spent money frivolously.

I actually think you've done a few things very well, your low housing expenses are a great example of not abusing credit to purchase a depreciating asset or wasting money on rent. The reason (personally) I'm not lavishing you with credit for it is because you said your biggest obstacle is money - kudos might make you feel better, but I have a sense you already know what you're doing well on, and you seem pretty upbeat in general. If you need a few more attaboys or a cheer-leading squad just say so and I'd be happy to oblige!

If you want an honest assessment based on the (limited) information I have about your financials however, it's that you are a walking fiscal crisis that is one accident away from very hard times. We've got a social safety net in this country, but it's not always the softest of landings. You're well within reach of a nice traveling lifestyle, and I'd be super happy to see you make that goal.

I've always liked personal finance, optimizing performance, game theory, and strategy - so I'm just coming at this from that perspective. I focus on building resilience when I'm making my own plans, financial or otherwise, and that might be too conservative for you.

GaiaGoddess said:
If I had 2 people in my household, I would be spending half of what I spend now. Trust me if I could get any sleep with a roommate here, I would have one.

In my comparison I said we have two people, with two cars, and health insurance for both of us and we spend less combined than you (maybe) do now for just yourself, unless you spend less than ~$16,500 pear year. If you had a roommate, sure you could spend less individually which would be great, but right now you're outspending two people's needs, not just one. I can only say that as a guess, because you've never been clear enough about your income or spending to draw a real conclusion and I've had to base my math on estimates.

I've said what I think your annual income should be, and there is a large unexplained gap between what you say your monthly income is and what it should be based on your hours and your hourly rate. Either you don't end up working at least full time, or you've got a few hundred dollars a month in expenses that aren't being accounted for here. It might be none of our business, but that's potentially thousands of dollars yearly that could be put on the debt, or towards savings. That's one of the problems with not having a budget, and it's not just you - everyone loses track of things if they don't keep their eye on them closely.

The last thing I want to do is drive you away or keep you on the defensive just because you might think I'm being some kind of sadist meanypants, so if you honestly don't want us digging too deeply into your financials just say the word! Sticking around for a friendly community is going to be better than leaving in a huff due to a few Personal Finance 101 nerds!

GaiaGoddess said:
I don't want to live like a starving homeless person. And I am too much of a traveller to get by with a bicycle, I couldn't get to work without a car, or see my family and friends. Everyone saves money in areas where it doesn't matter to them, and everyone has things they prefer to spend money on, don't make me out to be worse than anyone else.

GaiaGoddess said:
It's not a matter of it sinking in. Apparently some things are important to me that other people are willing to sacrifice on. But I am still not giving up, there is a way, I just have to keep looking.

Hey, Gaia.

There are some ways in which I can relate to you. I'm also under 100 pounds and not able to lift minimum weights. I also have social anxiety and can get panic attacks from a phone call. I, too, am sentimental and hang onto "priceless" items with a death grip--in fact, I would go so far as to say I have hoarder tendencies, which I have to work hard to keep in check in order to keep my life functional.

I've also moved out from living with my parents because it literally made me suicidal--it is simply not an option for my mental health. Like you, I realized I would rather be homeless than that.

Which is why I actually moved into a vehicle and left. Income was $733/month and only improved very recently.

I'm not terribly comfortable living in a minivan, I'll be honest with you. I don't like living with no shower, no cooking, no heat. But that's what it took to get out of my situation. In fact, at first it was a 2-door car! I'll tell you, the minivan is an upgrade from that. LOL

I do not "save money in areas where it doesn't matter to me." It matters to me alright, I just don't have the money for it! Like you, my health is important to me and I need to eat healthy. But some months I couldn't. I literally did not have the funds for it. So I ate unhealthy and got sicker. Some weeks I alternated between not eating and eating small amounts of food bank food that made me nauseous to the point of sometimes vomiting, much as I tried to keep it down. I actually went on dates as a strategy to get solid meals.

But it kept me able to pay my bills. It meant those emergency repairs on my vehicle didn't spin me into a spiral of debt.

Similarly, I am letting go of a lot of sentimental things. They are important to me, yes. But my survival and my mental health is even more important. Certain sentimental "stuff" feels good for my mental health, but that's the hoarder tendencies and it's a trap. It becomes a problem when it begins interfering with something else you want out of life or need for your survival.

I hate to let things go that I've invested a lot of money or energy in, too. That's called the "sunk cost theory". The reality is you can't get back what you put into it, so if it's not benefiting your life now the healthiest thing to do is suck it up, let it go, and move on.

These are hard things to process, and you seem to think there must be some loophole out there that gets you a solution without making those tough decisions. Fact is we all have to choose between things we want. I could be living in a nice house right now but I'd be deeply traumatized and suicidal, so I've decided living like this is better for me. I could be maxing out my substantial credit cards to rent a place of my own for a bit, but put simply debt makes me feel really really bad about myself so again, I feel this is the better option for me personally.

Getting rid of stuff is still hard for me. Having so much sentimental stuff actually feels very similar to debt for me. It requires energy and sacrifice to get rid of it, so it's much easier to just keep it around, except I pay for it both financially and with the stress of managing so much. Seeing it as debt is actually really helping me pare down. And though I HATE to see an item I spent $20 on go to the thrift store, or something I paid $40 for sell for $5, I remind myself that I'm getting rid of a debt that is actively interfering with the life I want. It's okay for me to feel bad about it, so long as it gets truly GONE.

Again, this isn't what I want, if I'm sketching out the ideal life for myself. But I have to be realistic to my means. Sacrificing to live within my means now leaves potential for a bright future ahead. That's what I want. With no credit debt and an excellent credit score it paves the way to get back on my feet whenever I can find some way to. If I can't right now, well, I at least know nothing is getting any worse and the opportunity is still sitting there waiting for me. Similarly, with less stuff to deal with I'm no longer paying for storage and can keep things better organized.

I am honestly shocked that you bought gifts. I have done entire years when I did no gifts at all...and felt HORRIBLE about it, mind you. It was anything but easy for me. But I didn't have the money. It wasn't there. It wasn't possible. Kids will have to learn to understand when something isn't possible. That's life.

Last Christmas I stood up in front of my relatives and gave a tearful speech about how my presents for them are all re-gifts of items I already had. I told them I won't be offended if they swap or don't like them, but it was all I could afford to give and I wanted each person to know I thought of them.

I can understand you not wanting to do something like this. I didn't want to either! But what were my choices? I didn't have the money. Other years I have written personal letters as a gift, or for birthdays spent some extra time with them.

I guess I want to thank you, in a way. You've reminded me of why I'm doing this. Why I make these sacrifices. It's so that I don't end up like you. I suppose you might not want to end up like me...but I've got solid hope for a brighter future, and each year has been significantly better than the year before for the past 5. Can you say the same?

I'm truly sorry you're in a rough situation and are trying so hard to find a way out. It must feel absolutely horrible and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I find when I'm in horrible situations, finding a way to take back control of my life helps a lot. Usually it involves sacrificing something that feels really important to me, but it feels better when I'm making the decisions instead of them being forced upon me by the whims of the universe.

I hope you find your way out.

Thanks for your insight Bitty.
Good to see you're still hanging around.

here is what I learned from this thread. I had no idea what so ever you need a special pan to cook meatloaf in, I guess I have been doing it wrong all these years. lol. highdesertranger

they have false bottoms to let the grease drain
24949.jpg

the bigger question is,bread crumbs or oatmeal?

GaiaGoddess said:
The things I have now are the bare minimum I need to get by, I can't NOT have a place to live or a vehicle or a cellphone or insurance or electricity or water, etc. Travel IS important to me but my survival has to be more. I can only travel when I figure out a way to afford to survive and have extra money.

It's not the survival things that you aren't willing to give up, it's the thing that many of us consider luxuries.

I love a good shower too, but not enough to give up traveling for it.

I loved my house. but not enough to continue working just to pay for it.

I gave my grandmother's china to my ex-sister-in-law and my grandmother's hand-made quilts to my sister.

I sold everything that had some intrinsic value and took a picture of the rest before I threw it away.

That's what I mean about where a person's values are.  Mine are in having a free lifestyle, yours are still in having all the things you've grown comfortable with.

As Bitty said, giving up things is hard, but for many of us, giving up on the lifestyle would have been harder.

One persons necessity is another persons luxury and that's okay. It's easy to look at things from one point of view and say do this without knowing how it will effect the whole. Also advice is something to be considered, not a written in stone guide to life worthy of attack if not taken. Were life as simple as screw bolt A into hole B then we would all have the good life except those that just have to take their own path. Even some of those will either make it or enjoy doing everything their way. There just is not one right way no matter what you do.

I hope to keep my advice pleasant because I am not sure even I would consider my choices the ones I would have made for myself looking back.

highdesertranger said:
here is what I learned from this thread.  I had no idea what so ever you need a special pan to cook meatloaf in,  I guess I have been doing it wrong all these years.  lol.  highdesertranger

I must be the only person who knows about meatloaf pans and ignores them. I bake mine in a well oiled old black iron skillet....with lots of onion and bell pepper and catsoup on top.

Jewellann

Txjaybird said:
I must be the only person who knows about meatloaf pans and ignores them. I bake mine in a well oiled old black iron skillet....with lots of onion and bell pepper and catsoup on top.

Jewellann

I just formed mine into a long kind of mound and baked in on a cookie sheet, the way my mother and grandmother did.

I use a roasting pan, same one I use for roasting chicken and shepherd pie. highdesertranger

Status
Not open for further replies.