Mole' sauce

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blars

Reaction score
When looking through the grocery section of the Purple Liquor store, I ran into boxed Mole sauce for $0.56/box.  I tried it with leftover turkey on rice, then got 6 boxes when I went back to pick up my glasses.  They have bigger boxes as well.  (You might find this in the US as well, but I don't recall seeing it.)
mole.jpg

If you look in the Latin Super Markets you can sometimes find single serve bags of red sauce of various types, marinara, salsa, spicy tomato sauce, etc. The look almost like capri sun drinks, 4-6 once servings for $.50-$.60.

what is it?
if it's sauce from a mole
mole2.jpg

i'm going to pass

TypicalMole' Sauce

Ingredients

1/4 cup pork lard
1 onion, peeled and sliced
8 cloves of fresh garlic
3 tomatoes, roasted and peeled
1/4 cup unsalted peanuts or unsweetened peanut butter
1 Tablespoon dried Mexican oregano
1 stick of cinnamon, broken/torn into small pieces
1/4 teaspoon anise seeds
3 whole peppercorns
1/4 teaspoon thyme
1 whole clove
1 teaspoon cocoa powder
12 guajillo chiles, soaked in hot water, skinned, stemmed and seeded
1/4 cup raisins, soaked in water to soften
1/4 cup prepared masa (raw corn tortilla dough)
4 cups chicken broth
Toasted sesame seeds garnish (optional)

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes

Howdy!
         You can find mole sauce at WalMart, in the "Latin" food section. It comes in a nifty glass jar which you can re-use as a drinking glass when empty. You do have to mix the sauce, which comes as a semi-solid, in the jar with a can of chicken broth to make it ready to eat. The item you found is ready to go and would sure be handy!
         While in Mexico, look for dehydrated refried beans. Sounds nasty, I know, but are delicious and fast to make, just add hot water. Slap some on a tortilla, add a spoonful of mole sauce, some cheese and you have an instant lunch. It's my "go to meal" for motorcycle camping. The pre-made sauce you found would make it even easier to make and transport.
          Mole perfection = Mix your Mole sauce with some honey and brush it on BBQ chicken.....mmmmmmmmmm! Try some on top of refried beans; makes the ordinary a "Sunday Special".
           Spanish lesson for the day:
Mole is pronounced "Mo-lay". It's a chocolate, sesame seed based sauce that is especially good on chicken. Chicken enchiladas with mole sauce is a treat to be tried. In Mexico, you can get different "hotness" of mole, it's usually mild, but the hot variety will get your taste buds attention! PS: this sauce has nothing to do with the small rodents that burrow in the ground, but it would make them taste better...hahahaha!

RTR folks: There is a most excellent "hole in the wall" , family run, Thai restaurant in Blythe. Well worth the drive.

Live like you mean it!
Chuck

blars said:
(You might find this in the US as well, but I don't recall seeing it.)

You might find it in Del Sol supermarkets.

I am a big fan of Rick Bayless cooking methods and he has his Frontera line of products including Mole/Enchilada/Taco/Carnitas/Barbacoa sauces all available on Amazon in pouches. I went looking after seeing the Maria Doria product you told us about. I normally cook my own at home and so have never tried the pouches but nothing Rick does is second class.....really looking forward to using these. Thanks for the heads up

Lotsahorses said:
I went looking after seeing the Maria Doria product you told us about.

You might have better luck if you looked for Doña Maria. (Look at the photo again.)  ;)

Latest posts