Moisture control issues

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

my365roses

Reaction score
I hope this is the right spot for this.  We have a 31 ft TT.  6 human bodies and 4 animal bodies.  Along with kids doing nebulizers twice a day. So 8 nebs in the morning and 8 at night.  Any suggestions on dehumidifiers?  

Right now we have those pellet things but I'm not convienced they do much.  We are just adding so much extra moisture I want to make sure don't damage our home.

Yes, massive ventilation, never seal up the space overnight, and ideally make sure to live in a dry climate.

Make sure you don't have condensation between your mattress(es) and platform(s). There are special fiber pads to help prevent this, and/or use a platform with lits of holes. I've seen people use greenhouse bed grid plastic, very light and strong if supported every foot.

Also make sure you don't get condensation running inside the steel body paneling.

There are 12V dehumidifiers, less powerful than the big shore power ones but better than nothing.

When the sun is out, if you can once a week, pull everything out to air and get bombarded with UV.

I am in the AC business in Florida.  There are only 3 ways to remove your humidity.  Run an AC, use a dehumidifier, and flush out the humid air with a fan.   In your travel trailer, you can run your ac when hooked to shore power or a generator.  If it is nice out, you can run the roof fans and I would suggest a Fan-tastic roof fan.  You might want to add an extra fan to increase the air flow. You want to blow out your high humidity and bring in lower humidity air from outside.  That works pretty well in the arid southwest but not in the humid southeast and Florida.

You probably have a big ac on the roof.  If you can run it all the time you will get rid of your humidity.  You might also consider a small window unit that will run longer than the big roof top unit.  AC's cool based on BTU's but they dehumidify based on time.  If you put a monster unit on top of your TT, it will cool great but it will not run long enough to pull out the humidity.  A small window unit will run constantly and while it won't cool your trailer very well, it will take the humidity out.

Dehumidifiers work well enough, but you will need a big one to pull all the water your 10 bodies are generating.  For $150, you can put a window unit in the trailer and get some cooling as well.

Awesome thank you! We will definitely look into a small a/c unit. We plan on changing our vents with fantastic fans as soon as we get the time.

Jim Ragsdale said:
I am in the AC business in Florida.  There are only 3 ways to remove your humidity.  Run an AC, use a dehumidifier, and flush out the humid air with a fan.   In your travel trailer, you can run your ac when hooked to shore power or a generator.  If it is nice out, you can run the roof fans and I would suggest a Fan-tastic roof fan.  You might want to add an extra fan to increase the air flow.   You want to blow out your high humidity and bring in lower humidity air from outside.  That works pretty well in the arid southwest but not in the humid southeast and Florida.

You probably have a big ac on the roof.  If you can run it all the time you will get rid of your humidity.  You might also consider a small window unit that will run longer than the big roof top unit.  AC's cool based on BTU's but they dehumidify based on time.  If you put a monster unit on top of your TT, it will cool great but it will not run long enough to pull out the humidity.  A small window unit will run constantly and while it won't cool your trailer very well, it will take the humidity out.

Dehumidifiers work well enough, but you will need a big one to pull all the water your 10 bodies are generating.  For $150, you can put a window unit in the trailer and get some cooling as well.

In cold weather is running the vehicle's defrost also a dehumidifying effect? I'm in an SUV conversion and can run my vehicle's ac/defrost/heat etc.

Your best bet when the air is cold outside is to bring in some low humidity air from the outside and flush the high humidity out.  You will have to heat the cabin to replace the heat lost but it will be the most effective way to get excess humidity out.

Your best bet when the air is cold outside is to bring in some low humidity air from the outside and flush the high humidity out.  You will have to heat the cabin to replace the heat lost but it will be the most effective way to get excess humidity out.

And don't heat by burning propane in the living space, produces lots of water vapor along with the carbon monoxide.