Modeling My Future Box Van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicoloyd

Reaction score
Today I started learning how to use SketchUp (formerly Google SketchUp) to model my future box van build.  I chose to use the web version at https://my.sketchup.com/app on my Chromebook.  There is a bit of a learning curve, but great so far.  SketchUp auto-saves periodically and you can sign in with a Goolgle account, or make a account with Trimble.  I found the model for a 10" U-Haul box van online and imported it.  I started modifying it and will share my progress along the way. 

Slightly modified version from the model I downloaded:

my.SketchUp_zpsubsst2xg.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Just an update to my progress at the end of my first day working with SketchUp.  I am getting an idea for what will and what will not fit in 10' box van.  My design thus far is to have multiple solar panels and two fans on the roof, Maxxair fans most likely.  I don't plan on adding any windows or doors to the box to keep things as stealthy as possible when in town.  Just maintain the white box van exterior for the most part.  The roof perimeter will have an awning system, one for each side, to provide shade when boon-docking.  My thoughts on the bed design would be that it folds up into the rear wall for day use, and there would be a fold down table top mounted on the underside of the bed.  It's nice to see my thoughts modeled with real world measurements, loving the SketchUp app so far.

Today's progress:

my.SketchUp%201_zpsiwtsasfi.jpg
[/URL][/img]

You need an exit. If the front is on fire, or rolls into a lake, or whatever the emergency, you don't want to be trapped. Doesn't need to be a full size door, but it would likely be more stealthy with some sort of outside access to the back. Cops or security are likely to wonder what goes on in there with no cargo access.

Good points.  I was thinking either keeping the rear roll-up door as-is for a facade of sorts to keep the vehicle looking utility like in nature, or removing the roll-up door and building a exterior wall that appears to have access doors.  Removing the roll-up door might be the way to go, that way I can eliminate the track system and gain some more space.  Thinking about adding an escape hatch through the ceiling or floor.  

Thanks for the input!

This is where I got to this morning.  The bed is in the "day mode" position with flip-out table top, added a bathroom, and the rear access door facade.  Worked in a floor escape hatch (not sure if that is doable or not, have not seen under one of these vans yet).

my.SketchUp%202_zpsw0vjo5v4.jpg
[/URL][/img]

my.SketchUp%203_zpsz3e1q3hb.jpg
[/URL][/img]

It doesn't hurt to tape off the space to scale on a floor. It'll give you spacial awareness as you move about the space.

Indeed, it is a great program for sure.  Nice work on your model, toilet and all.

Thanks for sharing the information!

But......
While I understand "stealth" parking, I simply cannot fathom living in a sunless, viewless crypt.
Unless you're a vampire or practicing to be dead......

Many work Vans have windows. Do a very dark tint and light proof curtains/shades.

Half of the enjoyment of being free to go is also being free to park and gaze out on creation from inside your dry and warm cocoon.
Unless you are going to be 100% city stealth, design with doors and windows to let the World in!

Dave

Windows could always be added at a later date. Personally, I can be happy in a room without windows, but I see your point.

djkeev said:
Thanks for sharing the information!

But......
While I understand "stealth" parking, I simply cannot fathom living in a sunless, viewless crypt.
Unless you're a vampire or practicing to be dead......

Many work Vans have windows. Do a very dark tint and light proof curtains/shades.

Half of the enjoyment of being free to go is also being free to park and gaze out on creation from inside your dry and warm cocoon.
Unless you are going to be 100% city stealth, design with doors and windows to let the World in!

Dave

Hello Dave, is this the inside of your van (what van is it)----did you do this ----or maybe you had it done for you.  Have not bought the van get, then step 2 would be to find someone to do the inside.

I am now pondering whether the 10' box will be large enough for me or not in a few different respects.  For one, my height, as I am 6' 2" already, I would be at the exact height of the 10' box without flooring, insulation, etc.  So, I would most likely not be able to fully stand up after building out the interiors floor and ceiling.  Secondly, I would like a bit more room than what I am coming up with on the models I posted here previously.  The 10' box would be very limiting, even with the bed being tucked away into the wall during the day.  

My next van consideration would be the 17" U-Haul box.  This vehicle is almost always based upon the Ford chassis however, and the brings up another point of consideration, Ford vs. Chevy.  I have no experience with the Ford engines, especially the Triton V-10 the 17' box's around here seem to come with.  Anyone else have any real world experience with these vehicles and engines?  The 17" box would give me 7' 2" of height on the interior, plenty of room to insulate, build out a floor and ceiling with room to spare over my head afterwards.  Plus, more options for adding amenities and storage. Decisions, decisions.

my.SketchUp%204_zpsjeyqg3fx.jpg
[/URL][/img]

here's some question to ask yourself. what does a V-10 do that a V-8 can't do? IMO nothing. plus you have 2 more sparkplugs come tune up time. plus just more parts in general to fail. I it was me I would stay away from a V-10.

remember the taller the box = worse MPG. if you look at transfer trucks instead of moving trucks they will have 8 1/2 high boxes. highdesertranger

nicoloyd said:
I am now pondering whether the 10' box will be large enough for me or not in a few different respects.

I have a 12" box on my cube van, and would have preferred a 14' box length, but I don't think I would have been happy with only 10' long.
However my ceiling is 7' 6" so that does alleviate a few issues.

In the end only you can tell what will work for you.

Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback everyone. My gears are turning on this one. Partly why I'm doing what I am in SketchUp is that I don't want to invest into a vehicle I won't be happy with. It certainly will be a decision I'll have to make for myself, but I appreciate other people's perspective's and opinions as well.

One other consideration - the 10' boxes drive like a regular van. The 17' ones drive more like a class C motorhome and will sometimes limit the places you can go due to overhang, width, etc...

Great points masterplumber. I am certainly trying to determine that happy medium. I think having standing height in the vehicle is a must for me and I do not want a classic style R/V, or Sprinter style van. I like the idea of building it myself, and starting with a blank canvas so to speak. I chose the U-Haul vehicles because they are readily available at decent prices, heavy duty chassis, parts are readily available, and they have solid boxes from what I have seen from other owners. If only I wasn't so damn tall! :)

Nadine, no, its not my Van. Google "Zach Both", its his. His Van illustrates the desireability of windows and doors well.

I will utilize his inspirational clean lines and simple elegance as I build my Dodge Van.

Dave

I thought about my plan to remove the roll-up rear door and putting in place the appearance of doors and realized that I would then have no want to get materials into the vehicle. DUH! Glad I am thinking this through on digital medium first.

I like the idea of either a set of barn doors on the rear, or a fold down door similar to what you might see on a toy hauler style trailer. I'm going to spend some time in SketchUp piecing together this idea to get a visual of my thoughts.