mobile AC unit help for my dog and i

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afreelife4me

Reaction score
<p style="margin: 0in; font-family: Calibri; font-size: 11.0pt;">Hey everyone.. Its been a while since I posted on here.</p><p style="margin: 0in; font-family: Calibri; font-size: 11.0pt;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0in; font-family: Calibri; font-size: 11.0pt;">Im still having a hard time with climate control with me and my pup.</p><p style="margin: 0in; font-family: Calibri; font-size: 11.0pt;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0in; font-family: Calibri; font-size: 11.0pt;">I live in austin texas</p><p style="margin: 0in; font-family: Calibri; font-size: 11.0pt;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0in; font-family: Calibri; font-size: 11.0pt;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0in; font-family: Calibri; font-size: 11.0pt;">I have places to sleep at night with a plug in so I have power.. I have an LG 7000 btu unit.</p><p style="margin: 0in; font-family: Calibri; font-size: 11.0pt;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0in; font-family: Calibri; font-size: 11.0pt;">I turn it on and then it runs for a bit and then the compressor shuts off.. So I think its overheating again.</p><p style="margin: 0in; font-family: Calibri; font-size: 11.0pt;">I don’t have a tube coming out the back and going out the window so im just trying to redirect the hot air out the cracked window</p><p style="margin: 0in; font-family: Calibri; font-size: 11.0pt;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0in; font-family: Calibri; font-size: 11.0pt;">I travel with work.. When I go to the job and use the unit it works ok as long as I have the windows and doors open so there is enough ventilation.. Keeps pumping out cold air on my dog all day while I can work.</p><p style="margin: 0in; font-family: Calibri; font-size: 11.0pt;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0in; font-family: Calibri; font-size: 11.0pt;">But when Im done with work and the sun is still up its too hot to run in the car with the windows or doors open.</p><p style="margin: 0in; font-family: Calibri; font-size: 11.0pt;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0in; font-family: Calibri; font-size: 11.0pt;">And I am still trying to be low key about it so I don’t want everyone know I am parked there and hanging out in my truck.</p><p style="margin: 0in; font-family: Calibri; font-size: 11.0pt;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0in; font-family: Calibri; font-size: 11.0pt;">How can I resolve this?<br><br><br>thanks for your help everyone.</p>

ah the common ac misconception. &nbsp;the condenser must be on the outside so you can remove heat from your space.&nbsp; that is how ac's work and refers for that mater.&nbsp; they don't cool things down,&nbsp; they remove heat thereby cooling.&nbsp; what I am trying to say is if you don't remove the heat you will not cool things down.&nbsp; highdesertranger

Some here have cut a hole for the exhaust tube into the floor for stealth.

Highdesertranger is absolutely right,<BR><BR>The ac wants to cycle through the air it has already worked so hard to cool. By letting it breathe back in the hot air that is designed to go outside makes it works too hard.<BR><BR>There are (expensive) portable units that don't need to be vented to the outside but to be honest, it's like a glorified swamp cooler, might as well dump a glass of water on your head and call it a day.<BR><BR>You might try rigging a duct from the back of the unit to vent to the outside, or, alternatively rig a duct from the cold side going into the car. Look here for an example of what I mean. <A href="http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&amp;t=44561" rel=nofollow target=_blank>http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&amp;t=44561</A><BR>a company called Climate Right makes a 5000 btu unit similar to this setup designed for dog houses, but it's 500 bucks and won't ship until June 1st.<BR><BR>Just remember that you need to keep the cold air cycling through the machine and the hot exhaust needs to leave the vehicle completely.<BR><BR>I always keep a gallon of water handy to wet my pooch's fur if he is getting too warm, they don't sweat like we do.<BR><BR>Hope this helps<BR><BR>-Noah

It would be good to have a picture of the set up. I suggest that you put in an inline fan to suck/pull out more air. the compressors have thermal overload switches.&nbsp; Also, make sure that back side vents are not inside the area that is being cooled AND have enough space around them.<br><br>James AKA Lynx

Hi Afree. I had one of the LG portable ACs and found several ways to make it work better. First, you do have to find a way to exhaust the hot air outside; otherwise, the unit is just fighting against itself. Make sure though that it is not vented where the hot air will blow down&nbsp;around the gas tank. I googled and found that even an airplane exploded because the AC exhaust was too close to the gas tank. Hot air will accumulate directly under the van too. Secondly, I made&nbsp;long sock from a blanket which I used to encase the&nbsp;exhaust hose&nbsp;in. This reduced the heat emitted from that. Third, I placed the AC between the seats facing backward and then closed the drapes between the&nbsp;cargo and&nbsp;cab area, keeping the back part cool. Make sure that your intake vent is drawing in air from the already cooled area, not the hot cab.&nbsp;I also opened the cab window a little on each side to allow hot air to escape the cab. Portable AC's can only do so much in 130 degree interior temps. And the no brainer.. try to park in shade and blow the accumulated hot air out with a fan&nbsp;before tying to cool the interior.

thanks for all the replies..i will see what i can figure out.. i park in store parking lots so i really need to be low key.. so i dont even like rolling the windows down.. but even last night. .was about over 70 and i just had the fan blowing on me and my dog. i was ok.. but he seemed to be having a hard time breathing.. im more worried about him.. he is 14 now and texas summer is starting to roll in.<br><br>i will try to put it in a different location tonight and see if that helps vent things better.<br><br>will give you an update

so I am even more confused now.&nbsp; you are in a parking lot running ac?&nbsp; without a generator?&nbsp; are you trying to run an ac off an inverter?&nbsp; I would say drive north and up in elevation.&nbsp; highdesertranger

Looked up the LG 7000 btu portable and the HOME DEPOT site says it must be upright for 24 hours before use.&nbsp; likely there is sensors in the coolant that measure if the coolant has condensed, and is in the internal reservoir in the right amount.<br><br>This is an inside air conditioner unit.&nbsp; not even sure this can be used successfully in a vehicle.&nbsp; Yes you can vent it, but you need to read up on what others have noticed.&nbsp; make sure you read all the comments to form an opinion about how to use the unit.&nbsp; If you are venting hot air out, you must be pulling hot air in somewhere.&nbsp; This sounds like a poor design, but may be wrong.&nbsp; What you need is a unit that has two different air circuits.&nbsp; The internal cooling air, and the external heat dissipation air.&nbsp; Thus why when you look at some setups for cooling you see two entry ports, for pulling in air, and for exhausting air.<br><br><br>http://www.homedepot.com/p/LG-Elect...-Control-LP0711WNR/202562960#customer_reviews<br><br>http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronic...op_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&amp;showViewpoints=1<br><br>&nbsp;

all ac's and refers must be upright for 24 hrs prior to use.&nbsp; this is why when you move a frig in the back of a truck it should be upright.&nbsp; if it's not and you lay it down then plug it in you will ruin it because the oil has flowed out from were it's needed.&nbsp; highdesertranger

High desert - so the lubricating oil is not where it needs to be?&nbsp; Wow, have not seen that emphasized enough with folks trying to homebrew AC units.&nbsp; That all that motion and shaking means your home brew AC unit is going to fail in a short time, due to reduced lubrication and not awaiting 24 hours before firing it up.&nbsp; who waits 24 hours?&nbsp; most would want AC immediately upon arrival at their destination. . &nbsp;&nbsp;

I want an AC that runs in a parking lot stealthy.<br>what is used for the power?

again sorry for the delay.. as far as the power questions.. i have certain locations all over austin that have outlets outside where i can plug in.. i tested them and they work so i can plug in and just blend in with retail shoppers.. windows are all tinted so you cant see me and the pup.<br><br>i did move it closer to the front of the car.. and cracked the front windows to try and vent.. it did work.. my dog still woke up in the middle of the night though breathing heavy.. i was ok.. but i worry about him.. he is 14 now.. so when i see him do that i turn on the car and let the AC run for a bit and that seems to calm him down..<br><br>as far as keeping it level.. i have to admit im guilty of not doing that cause its my work truck too so its always bouncing around with my tools.. etc.<br><br>i guess i need to research it a little more.. dont have much money.. i lost every thing to a business i started and i have been in my truck for over 3 years now.<br><br>i survived the other summers by going into hotels on the really hot days.. and suffered the others.<br><br>

ok didn't mean to scare folks.&nbsp; if the unit is upright it can shake,&nbsp; rattle,&nbsp; and roll all you want.&nbsp; will not hurt anything.&nbsp; if you put it in a position other than upright, &nbsp;that is when you have to let it sit in an upright position for 24 hrs.&nbsp; my feeling on ac's are they are a bane on mankind.&nbsp; I really get irked when the envio Nazi's tell us we can't do&nbsp;this and that. &nbsp;then live in their air condition house,&nbsp; get in their air conditioned car,&nbsp; and go to work in their air conditioned office.&nbsp; what a waste.&nbsp; what a bunch of Hippocrates.&nbsp; my little rant.&nbsp; if it's to hot for you move north and to a higher elevation.&nbsp; for every 1,000 miles north and every 1,000 ft elevation gain you lose 3.5 degrees.&nbsp; so if you were to go 1,000 miles north and up 3,000 ft it would be 14 degrees cooler.&nbsp; &nbsp;highdesertranger

afreelife4me - your dog might have other issues. sounds like you can not afford a vet. but try to find a way to get a checkup for the dog.&nbsp;

I think I messed up on post #14 it should be for every 300 miles north the temp drops 3.5 degrees.&nbsp; highdesertranger

it as always remained upright so then that should not be my issue...past couple night has been ok.. but still not all that hot yet.. i have to leave all my windows cracked and the sunroof cracked so the heat from the back get get out the car.. seems to working so far.. although its not super hot yet.... and since i am in a parking lot i dont like having my windows cracked cause i always see people looking in. .but i will do it if i have to so the AC will work.<br><br>if it does not work what im doing is there a a model sold in stores that would be a better option.. or do i need to custom build something like i have seen on some posts here??<br><br>will&nbsp;keep everyone posted.<br><br>thanks again for all your help

The unit you have, is it this one or similar?&nbsp; If you dont have the hose, i would invest in that first, and then vent it out the floor or a window or somehow get it outside.&nbsp; <br><br>Reading the reviews, its suggested that it needs good airflow coming in as well, so you may still need to crack a window even then.&nbsp;

yes its that exact model.. i dont have the hose anymore.. i will try to find something at home depot and see how that works.<br><br>thanks so much for everyone help.. my 14 year old dog thanks you too.. we have been having so much fun on the road together... just need to figure out the climate control.<br><br>will update you soon<br><br><br>