MINIVAN- ROOF FAN

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Soon as you do any of those three things you're not stealthy anymore.

But stealth as you conceive it is not really important.

Presenting to LEO as an upstanding citizen, choosing the when and where, not doing anything to get anyone upset at you're being there, that's all you worry about.

If you want true stealth, your fan (or the opening) has to be on the floor. Alternatively, you can get an aftermarket sunroof.

I just found this video where Jamie at [font=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]Enigmatic Nomadics  installed a  fantastic fan into a van with a soft /ceiling. He addresses the roof wiring.  I had the same concerns. Hope this helps.[/font]

[font=Roboto, Arial, sans-serif]Sorry about font sizes, my bad![/font]

I forgot to add the link for the video I mentioned above about installing a fan in a mini van. Duh .... :huh:

cyntmac said:
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I want to convert a Toyota Sienna or possibly a Honda Odyssey. I will live in it for a minimum of 3 months. I want a roof fan such as a fantastic fan but don't know if this is possible. Stealth is important - I don't want it in the window. I wish to buy a minivan no more than 8 years old. I am aware some have a sun roof but is that the only way I could attempt this?? I am new to all of this and will have tons of questions. Thanks in advance.[/font]

Will Prowse has converted a Toyota van recently and this is a video describing his approach. Check out all of his videos. He doesn't have a fan in CA.
Depending upon your situation and location, a vent fan may or may not be necessary. Reduce heat method with shade and reflection. Minimize glass house effect. Can't really live in a minivan, find a/c during the day, cool place to park day and night, etc...
Anytime that you run the fan, it will be heard and give zero stealth. Especially at night.

This world isn\ said:
... I was wondering if getting a cargo carrier (Thule/Yakima) and installing that (normal looking) and then underneath the cc you could have your vent fan...

As to roof vent options...
My wife and i chose to (as i've mentioned this elsewhere) a different approach to roof ventilation in our second (at conversion shop) van. Since we wanted a low profile look on the outside we chose a roof vent that remains constant in looks on the outside open or closed. It is also low profile enough under most circumstances to fit under a roof rack/cargo carrier.

Here is the image of the unit we picked up (which was less than half the price of a MaxxFan) :

le-mans-v12.jpg

And here is the link to the manufacturers website (there is an importer near Portland Oregon).
Thom