minimalist refrigeration system for medicines

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maki2 said:
I found a used Engel (branded Norcold) that holds 17 liters in my community for $300.00.  It is a community with thousands of boats. My neighbor who repairs boats for a living had it. He does upgrades for customers so they give him such things. Then he sells them to add some extra funds into his pocket.

Just saying sometimes persons who do misc work on boats might have what you need, a fully functional 12V portable fridge for far less than the cost of buying new.
Maki, I would be very interested in such a deal. How often do they appear, and would you keep an eye out for me? (I live probably 35 miles from you.)

@maki2

Norcold is a good box. I sold my sailboat back in January, broke my heart, but I couldn't sail her by myself anymore, age, and health. Anyhow, I'm going to the marina this weekend to work on a friend's boat, changing out his galley stove. I do the same as your friend by doing maintenance for whatever they can afford or trade. Sometimes just going sailing is enough; I never thought about all the excellent used stuff I could get for little to nothing; most are happy if you'll get rid of it for them. There's not much room for crap you don't need on a 35-foot boat, smile. I'll let you know via PM if I run across anything that can be donated.

maki2 said:
*SNIP*

But since you don't really need one for your meds as you you don't have meds that need refrigeration.. do remember it takes people time to create postings so it is better to have a real need for the information when you ask versus just a speculative question based on knowing a person who lives in a sticks and bricks and has the power supply it takes to run a fridge full time. Some of the people who responded might be using up their precious band width to reply thinking that you are going to be unable to get on the road without their assistance. I would hope that people who post questions could bear that in mind and not ask random question they really don't need an answer to.
Frankly, I'm very glad this question was asked because this is exactly the information I need :)  Yes, I'm not on the road yet - don't even have a vehicle - but this is something I need information on so that I can put it in my budget :)
JAD

jacqueg said:
OK, related question - when you buy a used lithium battery, how do you determine what condition it is in? 
Keep in mind that I just barely understood what you are saying! Every time I think I understand this battery stuff, someone says something I can't even begin to follow...

The valance ones have videos of ppl doing tests on them. Theyre extremely high quality and hardly used.

for used refrigerators you just need to look for them or look for sales. I paid 300 bucks for a lightly used 40qt Engel. at the time Engel was having a sale and you could buy the same model from them for 400 bucks. when Engel had that sale all of their refrigerators were 1/2 off which was an excellent deal. highdesertranger

Engel are an Australian brand (started back in 1962) they were made for outback use here, but now made in Thailand.
I have 2 Aussie built upright Engel built ins,  one in a yacht one in the MH. Biggest problem I've found with the brand is the older ones (don't know about new or top loading ones) are not CE approved and created problems with my electronics and navigation on board. I even had some electronic interference with the motorhome stuff.
Apparently they also exported Engel frigs to the U.K where they where not approved for on board boat use due to this fault. last time I checked a few years back they still had no CE approval tick on their boxes.

@rokguy

DC noise! I've had more issues than I can name with crappy non-CE approved appliances on my boat. I had bought a cheap Walmart fridge as a temp replacement until parts came in, but it gave my Chart Plotter so much trouble I chunked it the Gulf and bought an ice chest. And I'm not even going to get into what it does to your radar.

So you guys are beginning to make me wonder whether an Engel frig is gonna mess with the engine computer or other electronics in your van or RV.

More of a boat related problem than van but I 've never owned a vehicle fitted with a computer all my stuff is 25 + years mechanical stuff.

Out of curiosity.... when you get a chance just check your Engel data at the input and see if it shows a CE approval tick.

rokguy said:
Engel are an Australian brand (started back in 1962) they were made for outback use here, but now made in Thailand.
I have 2 Aussie built upright Engel built ins,  one in a yacht one in the MH. Biggest problem I've found with the brand is the older ones (don't know about new or top loading ones) are not CE approved and created problems with my electronics and navigation on board. I even had some electronic interference with the motorhome stuff.
Apparently they also exported Engel frigs to the U.K where they where not approved for on board boat use due to this fault. last time I checked a few years back they still had no CE approval tick on their boxes.
Fortunately the  company that makes the motors for Engel is still headquartered in Japan but they do have the factory located in Thailand. There are many companies around the world that own and oversee factories in different countries.The products for many companies adhere to a well defined set of very strict manufacturing practices and tolerances in order to be able to sell the products they make elsewhere around the world. So in many cases it truly makes no difference in terms of product quality standards as to the geographic location. It is very doubtful that the quality of the Engel motors has been compromised by a change of location as the standards for it's production quality and the standards of material specification and also the inspection of the units coming off the factory assembly lines will not have changed.

Having just read some of the listed specifications on the Engel portable refrigerators it does say they are CE approved. I can't speak to the older models as I have not investigated it.

The Engel 27 (22 qt) Fridge/Freezer Portable Compact Travel Cooler is a medium sized, powerful freezer, capable of freezing almost anything. The Engel 27 (22 qt) Fridge/Freezer Portable Compact Travel Cooler is powered by the latest generation of compressor technology making it ideal for making ice, freezing provisions or keeping ice-cream frozen. In refrigerator mode the Engel 27 (22 qt) Fridge/Freezer Portable Compact Travel Cooler can hold a steady temperature. Operates off 12/24V DC or 110V AC. The Engel 27 (22 qt) Fridge/Freezer Portable Compact Travel Cooler automatically switches power from 12/24 volts to 110 volts. Built tough for the harshest conditions. Proven in the deserts of Africa and Australia. The Engel 27 (22 qt) Fridge/Freezer Portable Compact Travel Cooler replaces our MT25 - and offers a new more efficient compressor, upgraded stainless hinges and convenient carry handles. The warranty is now 2 years.

Freeze or Refrigerate (Automatic / Variable Temperature Setting)
Vibration resistant - Compressor has only one moving part
Operates at angles up to 30 off level
CE & UL Approved / CFC Free
Warranty Information - Click Here
Genuine Engel Accessories - Click Here

thanks Maki I have never heard any RF from my Engel's. however my old inverter and old florescent lights would reek havoc with my shortwave.

someone posted a link to a Peltier cooler. I don't know what the requirements are for you meds but keep in mind that a Peltier can only cool 40° below ambient max. I found from experience that they struggle keeping the box 30° below ambient. meaning the don't work in higher temperatures.

highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
thanks Maki I have never heard any RF from my Engel's.  however my old inverter and old florescent lights would reek havoc with my shortwave.

highdesertranger
Should try living aboard a boat and see how you go with electronic interference from refrigeration particularly Engel frigs without CE approval, despite what the so called experts say.

peltier based cooling systems are workable, like those usb fridges that were around a while back. all in all, then suck but are just fine for cooling a few vial of insulin or the like. keeping a few cubit inches at 45f is doable. can be run off of 12v.

"keeping a few cubit inches at 45f is doable"

just as long as the ambient temp is 75°-85° or cooler above 85° forget it.

highdesertranger

My meds don't require a fridge but it's recommended they be stored at room temperature.

Most drugs will degrade if they see extreme temps.

Since 'room temperature' in my van can soar in the summer and be very cold in the winter, what I do is specify to the pharmacy that I only want a 30-day supply.

Some pharmacies want to give you a 90-day supply because it's less hassle for them.

Latest posts