Minimal subfloor under Laminate on van floor?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sting

Reaction score
Rather than lino,  I've been considering using laminate wood flooring in my van conversion.

It'll be much heavier than lino, so I'm wondering what is the minimal subfloor over the metal floor of the van I could get away with underneath it?

PS> Any other good flooring material suggestions?

Thanks, 
Lance

I would be happy with 1/4 plywood if I was doing it, I am sure a lot of others will advise 3/4 inch but personally that is what I would do. I would also splurge and use the wood laminate rather then the fake wood. I used the fake wood straight down on the metal on my kurbmaster but the floor is perfectly straight no groves like most vans, I regret using the fake wood due to not knowing about real wood clip together stuff, and also I got the flooring for next to nothing it is still holding out after 5 years or more, but for the bit extra it would have cost for the real wood that would have been a lot nicer. The stuff I used had a foam pad under it. I may go over it with real wood laminate one of these days.

I used 1/2" polyiso under my cheap laminate. After 9 months I'm very happy with it. It holds screws reasonably well, but everything major is attached to the sides in addition to the floor so the screws really just keep things from sliding around, they aren't taking a lot of stress.

I didn't fill the ribs anything, the polyiso seems rigid enough to span the gaps. An extra layer of insulation could be used to fill larger areas if your van has those.

It's not screwed down, just snapped together with a tight fit between the wheel wells. It has not separated at all.

I attached a picture of the back door where you can see the layers. I did the whole thing in the rush so it doesn't look great, you could probably do better.

floor.jpg

Attachments

• floor.jpg
    floor.jpg
    114 KB
My fake laminate flooring is now deteriorating rapidly now after 8.5 years of use. I laid it perpendicular to the ribs, filled the ribe with strips of foam.

The seams have swollen. I kept it covered with throw rugs for a while too.

If I had to do it over, I'd use real wood tongue and groove flooring, laid diagonally, and sealed the wood with polyurethane on 4 sides before installing.

I'd still skip the underflooring. I was not willing to lose even 1/2 inch of height by installing a sub floor. The subfloor might have helped where the seams have fallen, but would have done nothing for where the seams got moisture in them and swelled up.

I have laminate in the main area of my van. Paid $6 for it. Put it on top of the rubber mat on the floor. Figure it's cheap enough that if it gets to groovy I can toss it. Also Ollies sells the two foot squares of carpet for $1'89 a piece like you see in big stores. If a square gets to stained you just pull up that square and replace. They have laminate cheap also.. Hobo Joe

I'm one of the ones who recommends at least 5/8" plywood and preferably 3/4" for on the floor.

My reason for doing so - it's deep enough to securely screw cabinets and bed frames to without puncturing the metal floor of the van. If you only use 1/2" plywood, you're not going to be able to sink screws in far enough to ensure a good long lasting grip, particularly if you're boondocking on some seriously washboard roads like I've been. If you're not intending to screw ANYTHING to the floor then 1/2" is sufficient.

I went for the vinyl laminate click flooring since I knew I'd be getting in and out of the van with mud and water on my shoes and dripping water, whether from wet clothing, swimsuits or sloppiness in the kitchen. I treated the floor in the van like I would a mud room at a S&B home...easy clean and water resistant. Unless you're living year round in the serious desert and never spill your morning coffee then vinyl is the way to go!

No idea what "lino" is in this context, as being a handloader, the only definition I can find is for Linotype.  Heavy, so NOT a good floor material.  Guess it is something else.

I am using simple plywood underlayment, followed by a black rubber truck bed liner, with throw rugs over it.  The rugs provide comfort, and can be easily taken out and cleaned.
Have looked at vinyl flooring in a woodgrain pattern (when Mom had her home floor done, beautiful stuff) but it is expensive, and doesn't wear well.  Initial chemical smell is high too, til it wears out.  After a year, high traffic areas look worn, and anywhere that a heavy item has sat, it leaves permanent impressions.
Real wood laminate might work, but I would fear spills.
I'll stick with my current setup til I find something I like better.  Since I don't live in the van, I am not in a hurry to get something new.

I have laminate over 1 1/2" industrial foam backed carpet for insulation( the stuff used in workout rooms, daycare, etc) t's been installed for 4-5 years now, and beginning to curl at the edges, but I treat it like a floor- mud, snow, water, dog, and a bursting water heater have all had their way with my floor.
This floor and insulating carpet was leftover from projects, figure that when I tire of it that 2 cheap or free bundles and an hour labor will replace it.

I started out with a 1/4" piece of plywood under the carpet that I now wish I hadn't installed (since spilling water on it last week), but quickly added another piece of 1/2" plywood after hearing the floor crack a few too many times.
My new plan is to remove the carpet and replace it with a piece of linoleum or similar material. My carpet is never going to dry completely and I don't want mold or mildew growing in the back.