mini wood burner could it work & be save in a van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Txjaybird

Reaction score
On You Tube I just saw a neat little wood burning stove  made from a mini draft keg.

I do not how to put the links here.........you tube.....averageiowaguy.......mini keg stove I, and there is also number II which is supposed to be a new and improved version.

I'd like to hear what ya'll think of this used in a van or other small space...it burns twigs and small sticks.....very cheap to make.

THE BUDDY HEATERS SEEM THE LOWEST COST........THESE MINI STOVE LOOK LIKE AROUND $10 WHEN ALL IS SAID AND DONE      {i'm not yelling]
                                                             Texas Jaybird

thread title should read   WORK AND BE SAFE in a van...no redo button?

Some things to consider.  You need space around it to keep from setting the van on fire.  You need a chimney, hearth in case of sparks popping out.  It has been done, but not really practical when you are living in a space 6 foot wide.  Then there is the law about transporting firewood.  

All said and done a little buddy is much safer. 

In a stationary setting perhaps, but on a gasoline powered vehicle ~~~ :s

I wouldn't want the mess of sticks and ashes in a van. Buddy is so clean and easy, as well as providing instant heat. When used with a bulk bottle and hose, it is also pretty dern cheap to run.
Plus, as an oxygen patient, I don't want the smoke of a wood burner.
I do know others who are happy with wood stoves tho.

I'd go with the Buddy Heater....

When stopping for a night or three, find a nice secluded spot, build a fire ring outta rocks and build a campfire with local scavenged deadwood, pop open a beer, enjoy. By the time you've burned out the campfire and depleted yer beer, the Buddy will have warmed up your sleeping quarters.

I won't put propane in a camper van because of the possibility of leaks or other failures of the flames going out and the propane being under pressure possibly not shutting off.

Wood is a huge hassle, and can bring bugs into your living space.

Non pressurized kerosene using wicks is my preferred choice. Never a danger if the flame should happen to go out. Great heat, cheaper to buy than propane heaters, and much larger heat outputs are available, which if you spend any time in really cold weather you'll really appreciate. For most people your cook stove can also supply all of your heat, so you're killing two birds with one stone. Each single, FULLY ADJUSTABLE, burner on a kerosene cook stove will heat up to 10k-12k BTU's.

My second choice is a marine style, non pressurized, alcohol stove. More expensive to buy, more expensive to run, but my life is too valuable to gamble on propane.

Swiss Volvo.jpg
This fellow has a wood burner in his Volvo.
As someone noted earlier, ya got some burning embers out of the stack, a few small critters hiding in the seats from the stacked wood in the back seat and of course the occasional downdraft above 5 mph. Otherwise I'd say, it's an option. :D

Attachments

• Swiss Volvo.jpg
    Swiss Volvo.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 41
I love wood burning stoves. but in a van, no way. in a school bus or larger RV maybe. they are very common in small boats. highdesertranger

I imagine what part of the world you spend most of your time in would also factor into whether or not a wood burning stove is a viable option. I'm in Southern California and not a full timer. The temperature occasionally dips down into the forties, but that's only a few days a year, so for me it would be a waste of time, effort and money.

sephson said:
I imagine what part of the world you spend most of your time in would also factor into whether or not a wood burning stove is a viable option. I'm in Southern California and not a full timer. The temperature occasionally dips down into the forties, but that's only a few days a year, so for me it would be a waste of time, effort and money.

I am currently in south eastern AL....... I have lived/wintered in SD,& KY. in s/b.   And briefly near Tulsa OK in a 28ft T.T.

Sephson I meant to do a "new reply" so i hope you don't mind too much if I continue here?

Thanks to you all for your input....I like wood fires any time...controlled wood fires that is

In  1978 I was in western Ks in both Nov. & Dec. one of the guys in our group drove a VW van with a tiny pot belly stove lit in it.... GOING DOWN THE ROAD......only when there was a "designated watcher" and the stove was secured for not tipping/with a little stove pipe going to the outside
Well he was just a little wacky...banned in one town for playing his guitar and singing in a tree...nekkid.

In TX in 1980 I bought a home made "van" trailer w/CO tags,  one of the rear windows had a metal insert and the guy said when he lived in it he had a wood stove...oops I almost said g**********n!
The mini keg stoves seem really small and I was thinking of a way to take the chill off before bed time...maybe with the proper set up, maybe not. 

My genius {he hates when I say that}son is planning with my friend to build a rocket stove {what ever that is} for xtra cooking area when smoking/grilling at his place   

I have used a portable kerosene heater to heat with in SD.  I know about big kerosene ranges but zilch about 2 burners, where can I find one?

Thank You All Again     Texas Jaybird

Off Grid knows about the kero burners. like I said I am all in when it comes to wood burners and have seen many in larger RV's, but in a van I don't know. make sure the genius does his practice burns outside. if you go this route we need pics. highdesertranger

Off Grid 24/7 said:
Non pressurized kerosene using wicks is my preferred choice. Never a danger if the flame should happen to go out. Great heat, cheaper to buy than propane heaters, and much larger heat outputs are available, which if you spend any time in really cold weather you'll really appreciate.

I'm surprised kerosene is workable in a van. I have many childhood memories of the kero heaters we used to heat the basement and for power outages, and I clearly recall the smell, soot, and occasional flame-up while getting it adjusted...

highdesertranger said:
Off Grid knows about the kero burners.  like I said I am all in when it comes to wood burners and have seen many in larger RV's,  but in a van I don't know.  make sure the genius does his practice burns outside.  if you go this route we need pics.  highdesertranger

YER DURN TOOTIN' HE WILL AND I WILL TOO!        
                                                                                                               TJB

The rocket stove system would be a good way to go, they are very efficient..
Insulated burn chamber and smoke stack. uses small sticks - twigs. positive air flow out.
I have seen youtube videos of guys making them just search rocket stoves - rv's.

I like to experiment and try things

Cheers

Matlock said:
This fellow has a wood burner in his Volvo.
As someone noted earlier, ya got some burning embers out of the stack, a few small critters hiding in the seats from the stacked wood in the back seat and of course the occasional downdraft above 5 mph. Otherwise I'd say, it's an option.  :D

Thanks, but I think I'll stick to something the factory heat works in while driving...

Volvo says they're the safest car on the road...  That's because they don't get into as many wrecks because they spend most of their time in the repair shop!

Tjaybird said:
I have used a portable kerosene heater to heat with in SD.  I know about big kerosene ranges but zilch about 2 burners, where can I find one?

Thank You All Again     Texas Jaybird

Mine are a different model, but I found these on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...0&_nkw=kerosene+firewheel+camp+stove&_sacat=0

Mine is an older model which uses a single flat wick on it's side, like the kerosene heaters use.  These use 8 smaller round wicks.  These are what we're putting in the camper vans we build for the homeless, two of them.  The description says they'll run on either diesel or kerosene, and you can go to any dollar store and buy a mop for a dollar and have a lifetime worth of replacement wicks.

I like having the two separate stoves, so if I'm using big pots, they can be placed far enough apart to accommodate them.  Not so easy if both burners are in a single unit.

I know a lot of people who use these and love them.  Simple, safe, and reliable, I like that.

BradKW said:
I'm surprised kerosene is workable in a van. I have many childhood memories of the kero heaters we used to heat the basement and for power outages, and I clearly recall the smell, soot, and occasional flame-up while getting it adjusted...

The kerosene heaters and stoves have come a long way, no soot, only very minor fumes when extinguishing, and with the wick type, I have never had a flare up in the last 30+ years.  Flare ups were common with the pressure stoves, much like with propane, and the propane seems to give off more fumes than the kerosene to me too.  The use of wicks tame things down considerably.

gadgetMe said:
The rocket stove system would be a good way to go, they are very efficient..
Insulated burn chamber and smoke stack. uses small sticks - twigs. positive air flow out.
I have seen youtube videos of guys making them just search rocket stoves - rv's.

I like to experiment and try things

Cheers

I see a few problems with burning wood, the biggest is burn bans.

The thought also crosses my mind that a smoke stack would kill any stealth, and if it has smoke coming out of  it, it could also really annoy any neighbors...

Off Grid 24/7 said:
Non pressurized kerosene using wicks is my preferred choice.  Never a danger if the flame should happen to go out.  Great heat, cheaper to buy than  propane  heaters, and much larger heat outputs are available, 

I'm confused...  What is this gadget you have?  A stove or a heater?  Do you have a link and/or photo of it?  

I don't actually plan to run my heater day and night, just when I'm getting out of my sleeping bag in the morning and such, so I've been thinking about the Little Buddy system, but I'm open to other options.

I picked this up at the last RTR at a vender in town wieghs about 50 pounds handmade of thick steel plate, nice ash box and burn grates not being a fan of propane heat was thinking the same but perhaps not having it inside the rig rather develop a system to transfer the heat into the space without having the fire in the truck