mini wood burner could it work & be save in a van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tjaybird said:
WOW you sure know your kerosene stoves!   Thank you so much!  It's a rough day in my neighborhood so I've only read the info on the link at the bottom of your post.......BECAUSE  you made a chimney out of a soup can!   I am always roadside shopping  and any small metal objects or usable wood planks...... plywood.. 2x4s      always come home with me    I know it's a strange hobby for a solo female in a apt.....however as I said to a dear friend the 1st...2nd....and 3rd time he inquired " why are you buying paint  you know you will be in trouble if you paint the walls in your apt" the first 2 times I replied  " I will not always be in a [damn] apt....I will again be in my own  place whatever it may be and I'll paint/decorate as I please "....the 3rd time  I said " :rolleyes: what the hell did I tell you the last 2 times   We are riends for 35yrs and we talk like that sometimes to each other & it's ok.

I think a lot of new things are " built to break " :huh: do you sell any of your refurbished items?  please PM or Email me if you do....or just post it here

Thanks again!                               Texas Jaybird

No No No.  Not my heaters.  All the text are quotes from the web sites the images came from.  Sorry, I did not mean to take credit from anyone.   The last image is from Miles Stair's Wick Shop.  A tremendous site for anything kerosene.  

I was just pointing out that most of the information listed for these images was wrong.

I am confused VJG. do you use these kero products? what was wrong with the info? I read the post like 3 times and could not find where you pointed out what was wrong. highdesertranger

akrvbob said:
So you carry around in your van all the time:

1) two of the cookers, 
2) the heater, 
3) the lanterns and the brooder 
4) 14 gallons of kerosene 
5) a home-built generator, 
6) gas for the gen
7) a home-built air conditioner with an external heater core
8) a regular cooler with ice.
9) room for a shower inside
10) swivel rocker recliner

Ripleys Believe it or Not needs to hear from you and your magical  van. I need to see pictures of it all in your van, or I simply do not believe you and I think any reasonable person would think the same.

The idea that you carry all that around with you is so ludicrous that I beieve there is at least a 80% chance it's all fiction and you've never slept a night in a van in your life. 
Bob

You forgot the part about him making $100, 000 per year from web services and christmas trees.

akrvbob said:
So you carry around in your van all the time:

1) two of the cookers, 
2) the heater, 
3) the lanterns and the brooder 
4) 14 gallons of kerosene 
5) a home-built generator, 
6) gas for the gen
7) a home-built air conditioner with an external heater core
8) a regular cooler with ice.
9) room for a shower inside
10) swivel rocker recliner

Ripleys Believe it or Not needs to hear from you and your magical  van. I need to see pictures of it all in your van, or I simply do not believe you and I think any reasonable person would think the same.

The idea that you carry all that around with you is so ludicrous that I beieve there is at least a 80% chance it's all fiction and you've never slept a night in a van in your life. 
Bob

H'mmm.... And I took that warning I read seriously: No member is allowed to tell another member their idea is wrong or that your idea is better. You're welcome to offer other considerations or options, but never judgement. I'm deleting all posts that I see as lacking respect or kindness for others ideas. If you are a repeat offender, you'll start getting warnings and after three warnings be put on moderation. Bob

https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-Respect-is-a-Requirement-for-Membership-Here

Grummy;

I guess you have not been paying attention.  Respect is a two way street, and posting claims that are never backed up, or when researched come up false does not generate any respect.

I may not agree with some members or administration, but what is said is backed up with proof when asked.  I have met Bob and many others so I know they exist. Just because I disagree does not mean a lack of respect.

I apologize when I have been shown to be a fool, and really try not to cranial invert again.  

Like it has been said on many different forums, "Pictures or it never happened." 

:-/

highdesertranger said:
I am confused VJG.  do you use these kero products?  what was wrong with the info?  I read the post like 3 times and could not find where you pointed out what was wrong.  highdesertranger

attachment.php

The stove is 7k BTU not 12k  and the heater is 10.5k not 23.5k 
The stove burns 5 oz per hour.  If you used it 1 hour a day you would use 14.25 gallons of kerosene.
That does not leave any fuel for the heater that uses 1.1 gallon each 15 hours.
There is nothing wrong with the lantern but the brood heater is basically a 2 wick lantern without a glass globe.  There is no way on this green earth that it will heat a uninsulated window van from -40 degrees to a comfortable temperature in any amount of time. 
Errors like these just jump off the page at me.  
I grew up with kerosene heat and used it some in the 80's.

VJG1977 said:
attachment.php

The stove is 7k BTU not 12k  and the heater is 10.5k not 23.5k 
The stove burns 5 oz per hour.  If you used it 1 hour a day you would use 14.25 gallons of kerosene.
That does not leave any fuel for the heater that uses 1.1 gallon each 15 hours.
There is nothing wrong with the lantern but the brood heater is basically a 2 wick lantern without a glass globe.  There is no way on this green earth that it will heat a uninsulated window van from -40 degrees to a comfortable temperature in any amount of time. 
Errors like these just jump off the page at me.  
I grew up with kerosene heat and used it some in the 80's.

Excuse me who made the white Kero heater second from left in your photo

wagoneer said:

That is the original "Screen shot" posted by OG.    :huh:

wagoneer said:

It is available at Amazon.

Heater Kerosene 10.5k Btu

Again this image was posted by Off Grid 24/7.  I was just showing that the text did not agree with the image.  I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and assuming that he only intended for the pictures to represent similar items to what he carries.  His usage of kerosene is still not believable.

VJG1977 said:
Again this image was posted by Off Grid 24/7.  I was just showing that the text did not agree with the image.  I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt and assuming that he only intended for the pictures to represent similar items to what he carries.  His usage of kerosene is still not believable.

This thread has made me re-evaluate a lot of what I've "learned" here in preparation of making possibly the largest purchase in my life.

I don't have a wood or pellet burning stove in my van or RV and most likely will not.
Though for the sake of conversation in context i'll share this real life example I experienced last week.

My wife and I meet once a year with a group of fiberglass trailer enthusiasts (their forum is fiberglassrv.com a nice group of peeps). There were about 40 to 50 of the little fiberglass gems at Waterloo County Park near Sweet Home Oregon April 21 > 24. Since we had sold our 15 ft Parkliner FG trailer during the fall _after_ we had made reservations we decided to go anyway, after all the roof of our van conversion is fiberglass ; )

In one of the 16ft Casita trailers was a cubic micro wood burning stove ( "Cub" stove link ).

[img=399x400]http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0323/1293/files/TEST1_large.png?9375076983186500303[/img]

My wife and I had wondered if we could incorporate this particular stove outside the van in a sort of hot-tent/tarp set up just to extend our adventures into winter, but we'd not seen one up close. . . .
The outside temps during the time my wife were visiting in the trailer were mild, in the mid 50's F. The measured interior temp was ~62F at shoulder level during the burn test. It was quite pleasant. All of us were surprised (this was the maiden-burn) at the little stove not roasting us out of the place. He was using some twigs from camp and one ~6" section of ~2x2 scrap. It burned for about 45 minutes without issue. He had placed the 90deg stove pipe through an aluminum plate he had temporarily placed in the opening half of a small kitchen window. The distance on all sides and top was no more than 8" and the feet are ~3" high off the counter. There was no over heating of counter/walls/under kitchen cabinet above stove top.

Overall, all three of us were impressed. The little stove had performed above what we expected; I think we were all playing devil's advocate on the whole idea ; ) But it worked. I am not saying it's right, but certainly added some cute ambiance with the glass window showing the flame.

: ) Thom

highdesertranger said:
...I am going to look into this stove...

IT'S SO CUTE!!!!
That was our first impression as we entered and saw it on the kitchen counter.
Wife approved : )

On cook surface I think you would have to have a narrow (~3" base? ) tall type of kettle/pan to get any cooking done. He did manage to do so in a ~2qt kettle?
And over the weekend he experimented with a small ~8" fry pan and was able to cook though had to rotate/mix the ingredients as it overhung the stove top.

johnny b said:
I'd go with the Buddy Heater....

When stopping for a night or three, find a nice secluded spot, build a fire ring outta rocks and build a campfire with local scavenged deadwood, pop open a beer, enjoy. By the time you've burned out the campfire and depleted yer beer, the Buddy will have warmed up your sleeping quarters.
okay haz the Buddy Heater already.

now

fer that "nice secluded spot " : i can see it now: "but occifer, it was JUST a weeee-Leeetle fire.
How was i supposed to know i could burn the entire forest to a crisp... " :rolleyes:

Um, maybe THIS $349 https://cubicminiwoodstoves.com/collections/all/products/cb-1008-br-cubic-mini-wood-stove would work better...

I'm glad I took the time to read the entire thread because I was going to comment that I, personally, would really like to have a wood burning stove and really like the cubic mini.  

One caution with a wood stove though is that you have to be careful if you have a Fantastic Fan with a temperature sensor that turns it on automatically when it gets too warm.  If you have the fan set to blow air out of the van, it can suck smoke out of the wood stove and you'll get smoke in the van.  So, if you have a wood stove burning, make sure the fan is turned off, or at least blowing air into the van.

I've been researching the things I'd like to have in my dream van and it's been fun.  I'm not at the point of going in the opposite direction and seeing how I can build a van to be truly off-grid and not dependent on electricity or power, should anything happen.  A small wood stove would be invaluable as a heat source, a cooktop, and for hot water.  I would just be extremely cautious about having a DIY version unless it was necessary!

Justincredible installed a cubic mini in his van.  You can view his youtube video on the subject HERE.

The cubic mini instagram accounts has a lot of cool photos of how the product is installed in vans, RVs, boats, and tiny homes.  You can view those photos HERE.

I'm looking forward to installing one this fall (I have a class B+) and am happy to post updates on how it goes! :)

I just can't believe how much a mini little stove like that costs!

Jack said:
I just can't believe how much a mini little stove like that costs!

It seems like a pretty good value to me considering the craftsmanship, design (for small, mobile spaces) and weight.