Mini fans mounted at corners of windshield

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanKitten

Reaction score
I have seen these little 12v fans mounted at the top corners of the windshield.

I found little 12v fans at the auto store...BUT..they are for plugging into the ciggy lighter.   I could just cut the plug off and wire them in...but, then I lose the on/off switch which is incorporated into the ciggy light plug

I have no place to mount an additional switch on each side.   I do not want to pay someone to wiring a couple of switches into the dashboard and the route the wiring all the way around.   I have access to the wiring above the cab...just cannot find the fan with a switch on the face of the fan

Anyone seen these anywhere?   Got a source?

VanKitten said:
....just cannot find the fan with a switch on the face of the fan

Anyone seen these anywhere?   Got a source?

The one I use by my bed has a two speed switch built into it and it is hardwired in.  Its only drawback is once mounted, it does not swivel so I had to be careful mounting it so the breeze went where I wanted it.  I think it was about $14 but it was a couple of years ago.  My memory ain't what it used to be. :s

I bought it from Camping World.

Amazon has a lot of different ones.  I searched "oscillating fan 12v".

I am assuming these are for when driving rather than when parked and sitting?  As these brushed motor fans are not designed around low amperage consumption.

I do not know of a fan with the switches on the front of the fan base itself.  If that were my goal I would install a switch myself.  Drilling a hole for a switch is easier than cutting a rectangle for a toggle switch.

Something like this could simply be glued to an easily reachable location and wired inline on either power wire, though switching the + is standard

71qrJJE4tNL._SL1500_.jpg

Apparently called a push button canopy switch

While looking for fans I came across these extremely overpriced possible options and disregarded them, but while I have the window open here is the link anyway.

http://www.defender.com/category.jsp?name=fans&path=-1|6880&id=2290148

Always check what is made for the marine world when looking for RV stuff, just to see what options the boaters have come up with. Lots of crossover

Thank you sternwake.

I did a search and found an inline surface mount switch.   Not very pretty, but maybe I can hide it somewhat.    So, I just cut the ciggy plug off and wire it.

Is it me...or does it seem like all the answers to electrical issue require inventing a solution?   Are diy RV project really so.."out there" on the leading edge?