Millenicom Reborn?–Unlimited Verizon Data Plans for $47.75/month from OmniLynx Wire

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyndi

Reaction score
I ended up losing out because I waffled  when the unlimited data plans were available.I am not waiting for this. I ordered mine today.

What Technomadia has to say about it (Love you guys! Thanks for all you do and share!!!)
http://www.rvmobileinternet.com/mil...-plans-for-47-75month-from-omnilynx-wireless/

Edited to add: Please use Technomadia's referral # to give them some bonus points  Customer # 1837

You're actually making a payment to Huntsville City Schools
Here's the link to purchase
http://hsvwifi.com/

Yipeeee!!! No more worrying about data limits for as long as it lasts!!! Thanks, again, Technomadia!

Thanks Cyndi, i just signed up!! I hope this lasts awhile, but once the word gets out, i have my doubts.

NomadMike said:
I hope this lasts awhile, but once the word gets out, i have my doubts.

I'd be willing to bet that the city has a contract with OmniLynx and OmniLynx has a contract with Verizon. Should be good for a few years, at least. It'll be costing me much less than what Verizon charges, should I go over my data limit. Plus the hot spot free a year. I'm all about free

I was just looking at Facebook and read that Technomadia gets bonus pointsfor referrals.

Please use Technomadia's referral # to give them some bonus points  Customer # 1837

I used there customer# when i signed up, they deserve it for all they do to keep everyone in the rv world clued in to the best deals on internet and cell phone services.

okay folks lets see what the speed means. Am using a STRAIGHT TALK service now with limited to 5GB per month on a 4GLTE connection to Verizon (mine is Verizon towers). For now that's what I need.

But it is throttled to 5mbps which in theory should be able to handle playing a video on a small phone (lowest resolution 480p) .

Would like to see some folks test this OMNILYNX by playing a NETFLIX video every day for a month and see what happens. Will you be kicked off? Will the contract be canceled, and you are left to get service with someone else as a bridge?

please post back your test results on speed with various test software (www.speedtest.net)

Projecting this will be a standard in a year or two, and hopeful that will be true. $50 per month for unlimited 4GLTE service on Verizon towers would be nice as a standard.

Has anyone outside of Alabama received this equipment? Every thing I have read says it is for residents of Huntsville.

Their websites says not allowing new customers due to large response - will reopen once inventory is replenished.

Brent

I was interested in this for two reasons. First the cable here is linked to cable TV and we rarely watch anything but the local channels that come in great with a antenna. (here in Denver anyways) Together the bill is over $100.

Second is we could take it in the trailer. Cricket use to have a hot spot but AT&T killed it. I don't want to spend a fortune to have net for a few weeks at a time.

Unfortunately they are back ordered and will reopen the order page when they get more units.

Due to the extremely large response of the most recent customer referral program all devices are currently on backorder.
We will reopen the ordering portion of our website once our inventory has been replenished.
We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding

ccbreder said:
Has anyone outside of Alabama received this equipment? Every thing I have read says it is for residents of Huntsville.

According to Technomadia it was just opened to the public, yesterday. When making the purchase there are a couple of options: resident of Huntsville City or general public. I seem to remember one more option but can't remember specifically.

Whether or not you use paypal when making the payment it goes through paypal. Paypal guarantees payments, to the best of my knowledge. I have a hard time believing that a city school system would be scamming people. If that's the case it's a brilliant scam.

I'll update when I receive the equipment.

I already have unlimited AT&T, would not be opposed to grabbing this as well when it gets released again. Bookmarked for now, thanks for bringing this up.

I don't think $30 + $48 ($78/mo) would be too much to get full Verizon coverage and AT&T coverage, considering my bread and butter = internet work.

I may get this too, even though I have the $30 unlimited AT&T plan as well. Hopefully this will stick around.

When I looked the website clearly said it was for the parents/families that lived in that area.

"Huntsville City Schools To Extend Employee Discounted WiFi to Parents - OmniLynx

Huntsville City Schools will make available a discounted wifi service, called OmniLynx, available to parents, starting January 15th. The service is provided through Verizon and currently available to Huntsville City Schools employees. The district is extending the discounted program to families of Huntsville City Schools students as a way of increasing the capacity for networked learning to further support the digital 1:1 initiative."

RVTravel said:
When I looked the website clearly said it was for the parents/families that lived in that area.

Here's what I read, now, on the page that I ordered from:

"...Due to the extremely large response of the most recent customer referral program all devices are currently on backorder.
We will reopen the ordering portion of our website once our inventory has been replenished.
We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding  
Select which of the following applies to you

Huntsville City Schools Employee
Huntsville City Schools Student/Family
General Public "

The most recent customer referral program refers to the service being opened to the general public.

Whatever, they've sold out of equipment so aren't accepting orders at this time. It's a moot point for now.

In many places about this program, it is stated to be for the general public of Huntsville. I suspect that Verizon will limit use by others. I have an order in and accepted so will let you know my experience. They did not accept my order until I selected Automatic payments.

Probably just my natural cynicism, but I don't understand why Verizon would shut Millenicom down, and then a year later allow a SCHOOL DISTRICT to start running exactly the same type of operation.  I suspect the amateurs running it have screwed up and don't realize it yet.  But good luck to those of you trying it.

Regards
John

My guess would be there was a contract. Verizon upped the stakes and Millenicom didn't want to play at a higher price. They made there money and ran. The school district will do the same thing. There's no contract with their users. As soon as it's time to renew and Verizon ups it's price they'll shut it down. They'll have made a few quick dollars. Didn't cost them a thing.

Latest posts