Mid 90'S Dodge Ram Van Class B Reliability

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iplayguitarintheshower

Reaction score
Hey All

Looking at purchasing a class B here very soon and Ive been seeing a lot of Dodge Ram Vans as the frame. Mostly the 5.2l V8 engines (lots of 96 and 98's)

How reliable are these with higher miles? I know if towing is involved, the transmissions are likely to go soon as theyre not known for having the best coolers, but besides that, what can I expect in a dodge ram van of 95+ with 150k miles on it? Those of you with some experience in these would be super appreciated

iplayguitarintheshower said:
Hey All

Looking at purchasing a class B here very soon and Ive been seeing a lot of Dodge Ram Vans as the frame. Mostly the 5.2l V8 engines (lots of 96 and 98's)

How reliable are these with higher miles? I know if towing is involved, the transmissions are likely to go soon as theyre not known for having the best coolers, but besides that, what can I expect in a dodge ram van of 95+ with 150k miles on it? Those of you with some experience in these would be super appreciated

Get repair logs if possible.  

I have a 1969 318, with who knows how many miles,  it is on its 3rd vehicle that I know of.  (Currently in a 1991) That was an exceptional motor. 

Everything is a crap shoot.  Knowledge is bargaining power.  Good luck.

the 318 is a great motor as is the Cummins diesel but it kinda ends there. I know people that run fleets and they all have high praise for these motors but they all say that overall the vehicle falls apart around a great running motor. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
the 318 is a great motor as is the Cummins diesel but it kinda ends there.  I know people that run fleets and they all have high praise for these motors but they all say that overall the vehicle falls apart around a great running motor.  highdesertranger

The 5.2L Dodge engine is a great engine. In my opinion almost as good as the Dodge Slant-6. Ive owned so many cars and trucks with this engine and they have all been rock reliable. The dodge engines like to sludge up so if your extra vigilant with on-time oil changes, the engine will outlast the body of the car/van/truck/whatever. There are two versions of the modern small block 5.2L, the pre magnum, and magnum 5.2L. From 1992 on up itll be a magnum. Its the transmission thats the weak spot on dodges. Id worry about that alot more then the engine itself.

steamjam1 said:
The 5.2L Dodge engine is a great engine. In my opinion almost as good as the Dodge Slant-6. Ive owned so many cars and trucks with this engine and they have all been rock reliable. The dodge engines like to sludge up so if your extra vigilant with on-time oil changes, the engine will outlast the body of the car/van/truck/whatever. There are two versions of the modern small block 5.2L, the pre magnum, and magnum 5.2L. From 1992 on up itll be a magnum. Its the transmission thats the weak spot on dodges. Id worry about that alot more then the engine itself.
Yup! Had a 96 Dakota wth the 5.2, and an 02 V10 QC 2500. Both of those trannies crapped the bed. It broke my heart when the 02 V10 died. It was a beast! From what my mech said, it was a design flaw on the 94- 02 rwd trucks. He is a good Christian man, so gave it to me like this... It would take $5k to put all HD parts in there. That was more than the trk was worth. I sold it to a buddy, who had it rebuilt for $1700, 2 months later he had it towed back home. Junked it. Now the pre 93 727 mopar trannies are soo tuff, they still used them to drag race at the track with. The Ford C6 is another trans thats rated for double the HP of stock.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Milk Hauler said:
Yup! Had a 96 Dakota wth the 5.2, and an 02 V10 QC 2500. Both of those trannies crapped the bed. It broke my heart when the 02 V10 died. It was a beast! From what my mech said, it was a design flaw on the 94- 02 rwd trucks. He is a good Christian man, so gave it to me like this... It would take $5k to put all HD parts in there. That was more than the trk was worth. I sold it to a buddy, who had it rebuilt for $1700, 2 months later he had it towed back home. Junked it. Now the pre 93 727 mopar trannies are soo tuff, they still used them to drag race at the track with. The Ford C6 is another trans thats rated for double the HP of stock.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Yes the Late model 46RE and 46RH were the Achilles-Heel of the Dodge vans and trucks. But if you go pre magnum (Pre 1992) the good old A727/A999/998 are nearly BULLET PROOF as long as you add a transmission cooler. Its the first thing I always do when I guy Dodge vans/trucks.. TRANSMISSION COOLER. and I adjust the bands like a religion!

Latest posts