Mexico Bound!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys....I would add that I almost never use the toll roads as the free routes pass through the real Mexico. Be sure to buy Mike and Teri Church's book "Traveler's guide to Mexican Camping"&nbsp; <br /><br />http://www.rollinghomes.com/mexico book.htm<br /><br />And Mexico Mike's website....is excellent..It even has an AA page for meetings all over Mexico.<br /><br />http://www.mexicomike.com/index.html<br /><br />and here is where I stay when in San Miguel de Allende<br /><br />http://www.sanmigueltennis.com/san_miguel_campground.html<br /><br />I plan to head over sometime after my usual few days to a week at the RTR in January.<br /><br />@ Mike...I hope to meet you some day so was hoping you would be at the RTR before you went to Mexico.....dang it bro!<br /><br />Bri<br /><br />

+1 for the sites Brian mentioned.<br /><br />Zorra, if you are going to be staying and working in Mexico, you will need more than just the FMM you get for a six month stay when you cross the border. &nbsp;Various ex-pat sites can help point you for info on that if your employer doesn't already have it set up.<br /><br />Brian, I was amazed at all the AA meeting/club signs I saw on buildings around Mexico. &nbsp;And Weber's tennis courts/campground is perfect for vans and small RV's in San Miguel de Allende. &nbsp;Hope to get there again this winter. &nbsp;I will PM you about catching up. &nbsp;I am in Denver at the moment and plans have changed a little and I need to head over to Houston before going to Mexico.

@ Mike....excellent, depending on where you go into Mexico and whether or not I will be here, I would love to have you stop by for a visit here at my base camp in Truth or Consequences, NM.<br /><br />About AA, the Mexicans do not have quite the same ideas of what anonymity means and they do advertise and that makes it very easy to find if one is a member or in need of sobriety. I actually love that attitude and appreciate it...It has saved my day more often than I can count...plus the added bonus of a group of people who are basically just extended family. The kind of family I would choose to have..LOL<br />Cheers,<br />Bri

Do you guys have any recommendations concerning what kind of vehicle to purchase for living in Mexico? &nbsp;The budget is tight so, whatever it is, it will be an older model. &nbsp;How are the mechanics down there? &nbsp;How difficult is it to get parts? &nbsp;I have been looking at some conversion camper vans, slide-in campers and old school motorhomes but am wary of making a poor decision concerning something so important!<br /><br /><br />Thanks!<br /><br /><br />

Hi Zorra666,<br />In order:<br />vehicle, no, I don't know what you need or want, whatever you get, make sure that it has the maximum road clearance you can get....the "topes" or speed bumps are everywhere and I have seen them as high as a foot. Disastrous if you have low hanging fittings, tanks or about anything hanging down.<br /><br />I am partial to vans but a pickup mounted slide in camper is good, a small Class C is good....the things I think about for any developing country, is width, height and road clearance. The smaller on both width and height and the more on road clearance will make your life immeasurably better.<br /><br />On the other hand I have seen gigantic winnabagle bus monsters just about anywhere I have been as far down as Guatemala and they were going further. I read a marvelous story with photos in one of the RV rags about an elderly couple who in 1994 drove a 3/4 ton 4wd Chev diesel truck with a short fifth wheel trailer through Mexico and Central America and into and around South America and loved it and once they were home they wanted to go back....that was during the couple of years there was a vehicle ferry between Panama and Columbia.<br /><br />Terri and Mike Church of the camping guide swear by a crew cab 4wd truck with a huge camper on the back.<br /><br />Frankly, unless you are totally hung up on a RV type unit for Mexico, I think I would use a small van or mini van as new as you can afford and plan on renting a room or cabina when you are someplace you want to teach.<br /><br />You can find some awesome cheap prices and great places if you are willing to live like the locals and not like a gringo. A Mexican neighborhood will turn up some cool places, maybe even with a family...rent a room and share meals? Your experiences won't be as a tourist but as a traveler...a vast difference.<br /><br />Mechanics....far better than here. They are everywhere and can work wonders with almost nothing. The older rig you get the easier they are to fix but the more they will need fixing. My thought is that you should get whatever it is that you will take down and live in it a while here first...work out the bugs and repair everything that might need fixing.<br /><br />Parts are good for standard Ford, chev, dodge stuff, Toyota used to be hard to find...Nissan easy, etc. it is developing fast in Mexico and in some places it isn't much different than here...I was able to find a Dodge dealer in Chih. to repair a Jeep truck we had once ....we had rear axle problems needing an OEM part.<br /><br />It sounds to me like you need to immerse yourself in Mexico stuff for a while...there is tons of stuff online to research and there are excellent books...Take a wander through your local bookstore or half.com and find Carl Franz's book the People's Guide to Rving and Camping in Mexico...excellent book and he spells it all out...really, really well, better than we ever can. <br /><br />There are only a couple people on here who do drive and camp in Mexico or ever will go, there are other forums where it is everyday stuff and filled with people who do it every year or live there....maybe some good reading there will help.<br /><br />I will tell you what I tell anyone getting started in this stuff, esp. if you can only afford old gear...learn how to fix it and build a great tool kit. This will do more for your peace of mind than anything. <br /><br />Buena Suerte,<br />Bri<br /><br />PS...as I finished this and posted it a rare thought flashed in my beanbag...<br />Don't... no matter what you do, get a RV with 16.5" wheels on it for Mexico...tires for those just do not exist in Mexico....if that is all you can find...change the wheels to 16" wheels and new tires. Unfortunately most of the older RVs have 16.5" wheels on them and that sux. Mexicans rarely if ever buy or use RVs and there is nothing else I know of that uses that size wheel.

Thanks for the info, Brian! &nbsp;That is just the kind of info I need. &nbsp;I went ahead and ordered the book you recommended and just got the updated edition of Lonely Planet Mexico.<br /><br />I have backpacked for several months at a time in Latin America and have quite a bit of experience as a traveler but am hoping that, with my own little mobile living space, I can avoid some of the trials and tribulations I have experienced in the past. As a solo female travel, I garner more than my fair share of unwanted attention and, at the end of a work day, would like to have my own area to relax in. &nbsp;Plus, I have two ancient little dogs with me and finding places to stay (posadas, home stays, etc) would be more difficult and trying for them!<br /><br />I am stoked to hear that the mechanics are great! &nbsp;I still have several months of planning but am eager to get my unit sorted out so I can get it fixed up and start living in it stateside by early spring. &nbsp;I am chomping at the bit to get out of this house (and out of these bills!).<br /><br />Do you think it would be possible to sell a truck/camper/motorhome once I am down there? &nbsp;I may end up having to live and work in DF or Guadalajara, in which case an apartment will be more practical than a RV.<br /><br />Muchas gracias again!<br /><br />Hello, Bradford!<br /><br /><br /><br />

You will have the time of your life and I totally understand your need for a rig. You also sound like a woman who is sensible, unafraid and very capable.&nbsp;<br /><br />I think now reading your last post...I would think about a van...JMHO but it is nice to be able to slide into the driver's seat and drive off if you are the least bit uncomfortable...and will suit your lil' doggie buds well too. <br /><br />I have a solar panel set up with a large house battery in my little Chinook/astro van and a Fantastic fan that sits in a window...I can park the rig and go for a while, even in fairly hot climate and the fan blows into the rig and keeps the temp down for my doggie bud Dina....<br /><br />I truly love my rig and will be heading down right during or just after the RTR in Quartzsite. I won't go down south all that far but will spend a month or two anyway.<br /><br />The winter Kit and I spent in Mexico, Belize and Guatemala happened to be quite wet and when we were in Yucatan and south it rained most days.....so a van is also nice for that since don't really have to get out at all.<br /><br />A van is nice due to it's narrower than most RV's and if it is just a conversion style raised roof is low enough to go through arches and under low hanging electrical wires, etc. <br /><br />In San Miguel de Allende, the campground I referred to is through a gate in a wall and under an arch and only low and short rigs can even get into it.<br /><br />I love the Astro van as a home and several people on here have and love them as well...Katie Twoknives, my heroine, has an awesome one and she is my model for many things including van dwelling....it is also a Chevrolet product, making it fixable everywhere. If I had the choice, I would go for the rear door setup she has...not available on every Astro and I don't know the particular model that she has but it has the hatch type top half and barn door bottom half, making it so she can have the top open when the weather is nice or even lightly raining and close it just before sleeping,. Did I say I am hugely jealous of just that benefit!?<br /><br />Take a look at her blog if you haven't and see what she calls home...an elegant and minimalist warrior is that woman. She would be a good one to get ideas from. While she hasn't spent time in MX in her rig, she has the perfect one for it.<br /><br />http://twokniveskatie.blogspot.com/<br /><br />Another couple who does is K and J who I met at the summer RTR in the Sierras...they have a very cool set up and are sweet folks...<br /><br />http://2completespirits.com/<br /><br /><br />Peace,<br />Bri<br /><br /><br /><br />

As to selling a vehicle in Mexico, that will probably be difficult. &nbsp;The permit you get when you enter allows you to personally use the vehicle. &nbsp;To sell it you would need to properly import it and pay various import duties and such. &nbsp;There was a recent thread on this over at the RV Forums.net site for mexico.&nbsp;

Welcome to the forum and the lifestyle.&nbsp; I have no experience with Mexico but there is a guy who is considered to be one of the ultimate vagabonders.&nbsp; He went to Mexico some time ago and loves it.<br /><br />Tioga George&nbsp;(<a href="http://vagabonders-supreme.net/">http://vagabonders-supreme.net/</a>) blogs daily and has provided a great description of his life down there.<br /><br />Good Luck and Happy Trails!!<br /><br />--&nbsp; Kevin

+1 for George's blog. &nbsp;I have literally read it every day for the last 9 years. Usually a couple times a day. &nbsp;He is slowing down now, but his blogs are all archived on his site. &nbsp;Very much focused on street camping and boondocking in the early years. &nbsp;The years up through say 2011, should almost be mandatory reading for anyone wanting to pursue this lifestyle, whether in the US or Mexico.

Wow! &nbsp;So many great blogs and so many interesting people! &nbsp;I am so excited to get started on this adventure. &nbsp;I have a lot to look at and read through but this is doubtless the life for me. &nbsp;And now I am all hot-and-bothered about the flexibility and size of a good van!