MEET THE COLONEL

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingArthur

Reaction score
Greetings!

I’d like to introduce everyone to Colonel Sherman, a highly decorated retired air force base ambulance soon to become a tiny home.

VPeZSWP.jpg

6sbn7tc.jpg

I’ve been living out of an astro van that I’ve turned into a home for the last year, and after discovering what my definite preferences are I decided to start looking for something that I thought would fit the bill. This g30 hi-cube is exactly that.

I wanted something that could get good mileage, had plenty of weight capacity, could be stood up in, had at least 50sq ft of floor space, and could tow a fairly large trailer. I wanted something with low miles and plenty of windows, and for certain cab access to the back. I wanted something that was large enough that it wouldn’t be a struggle to get underneath of it to do maintenance or modification. I wanted something that had space under the floor to install a tank or a storage box or two. I wanted something robust and proven. I wanted something that fit that bill while also not sticking out like a sore thumb, and of course, I wanted it all cheap.

I set up email alerts on craigslist so that any time anyone in the entire united states posted a Chevy g30 I would get a notification. After about five months of weeding through undesirables, I found this van, posted 3 hours ago and 1100 miles away from me.

I simply couldn’t resist. This van has 44,000 miles on it, was previously military owned, and the seller seemed to be a decent person who even used proper english. I hitched a ride out to Kansas City with a family friend, and $2400 later I was on I-70 back to eastern Pennsylvania.

It’s not perfect. Almost all the seals are cracked because of the age. There’s some small rusty holes in the roof where ambulance lights were installed. There’s this large wild air conditioner that I’m pretty sure is leaking around where it’s bolted in that I’m probably going to remove. I’m not sure if it works or not or how it works at all. I’m pretty sure it’s got high differential gears for better acceleration or towing, but for my purposes I will need the opposite for better fuel economy and lower motor strain. There is no radio. There are no power windows. This van is literally just a metal box with a big 6.2l diesel engine. Oh, it does have heat.

So I’m overjoyed to get my hands on this thing, needless to say. It ran like a champ, probably close to redline because of the gear reduction, all 1100 miles back to pennsylvania.

I don’t think there’s a single thing that I’m not going to change this time around. I’m going to use different insulation in different amounts, different materials, different types of wood, different layout, different schedule and so on and so on. I’m so happy to be going into this with some experience this time around instead of just some blind ambition.

What I’m going to do most differently of all is attempt to NETWORK FOR SUPPORT. I struggled so needlessly on my build last time simply because I had it in my head for some reason that I just had to do everything alone. I remember asking for help literally one time. The net effect of that is essentially my current van has a lot of rough edges, some sloppy cuts, some things that could have been done much better if I hadn’t had been frustrated with how long it was taking me to finish what I thought would be a much smoother project than it was. So in some ways this post is indeed a cry for help. I’m going to need all the help I can get to make this project turn out to be the beautiful piece of art I want it to be.

On my end I’ve got the help of Sketchup, a space to work, access to a garage with tools, and some friends that can lend a helping hand here and there. I’ve got friends willing to help that are carpenters, materials experts, mechanics, and welders. The reason I say this is because I want to be clear that the sky's the limit; if it can be dreamed it can be built. That is why I’m here telling you all this: because I want and need your input, experience, expertise and knowledge to make this thing be the best it can be.

Funds are flexible as I do have an income, but of course I’d like to do things as cheaply as possible. I do not, however, want to build a cheap product. I want something I can be proud of that looks solid. I will use my powers of thrift to accomplish this, so when I do need to drop money on some LiFeP04 batteries or something I will have the funds to do so.

It also helps very much that I already have an entire solar system, a fridge, and an induction cooktop that can be migrated over to Colonel S. when the time comes and if I don’t sell my current van with everything in it.

So here’s a list of things, some will happen and some won’t, of things I’d like to accomplish before I begin to prep for the build.

• [size=small]Patch roof holes[/size]
  • [size=small]Install a cigarette lighter[/size]
  • [size=small]New locks all around (they don’t work)[/size]
  • [size=small]Set up a blog for shameless self-promotion[/size]
  • [size=small]Reseal all windows and doors[/size]
  • [size=small]Research A/C unit, see if it’s worth keeping or fixing[/size]
  • [size=small]Seal/Plug all body holes[/size]
  • [size=small]Install new head liner[/size]
  • [size=small]Install new dome light[/size]
  • [size=small]Install a sound system[/size]
  • [size=small]Fix windshield wipers, repaint them[/size]
  • [size=small]Repaint front grill[/size]
  • [size=small]Install HID/LED headlights[/size]
  • [size=small]Clean/Repaint all door hardware[/size]
  • [size=small]Install passenger swivel seat, possibly DS[/size]
  • [size=small]Put bushings in mirror mounts[/size]
  • [size=small]Repaint truck, plasti-dip?[/size]
  • [size=small]Fix DS door dent, maybe get new door[/size]
  • [size=small]Check doghouse seals[/size]
  • [size=small]Remove current fiberglass insulation[/size]

So I’m under no illusion that this is going to go fast. None at all. My astro works just fine as a living situation until this project is done, which I’m thinking will be somewhere in the realm of late 2018.

I can’t wait to start engaging you all on your ideas and taking pictures to show you the progress.

KingArthur

I love it. couple of points, I would replace the Harmonic Balancer ASAP with a Fluid Dampner. never ever never use quick start. if the glow plug system doesn't work right, instead of trying to repair the factory set up convert it to manual, easy. add a little synthetic 2stroke oil to the fuel your IP will thank you. as far as the headlights I would go with Cibie's with the replaceable Halogen bulbs. also a headlamp relay upgrade makes a huge difference. I would repaint with military paint it's cheap and available in rattle cans for touch up.

I like the 6.2 though many disagree. highdesertranger

KingArthur said:
On my end I’ve got the help of Sketchup, a space to work, access to a garage with tools, and some friends that can lend a helping hand here and there. I’ve got friends willing to help that are carpenters, materials experts, mechanics, and welders. The reason I say this is because I want to be clear that the sky's the limit; if it can be dreamed it can be built.

With that entourage of skill sets to help, you're right, the sky is the limit, and you should be able to make a first class camper of it.

I like it! :)  I have often looked at those as an ideal platform to make a camper from. One suggestion on the ciggy lighter though, I would rather have a protected power point with two studs and wingnuts so you can get a more positive connection to your 12v devices.
The 6.2 is no power house, but as I'm sure you already know, it gets pretty decent fuel economy.
Congrats on your new and improved digs. :cool:

Welcome KingArthur and Sherm.
I'm next door to you in eastern Ohio. It's good to hear your going to take this project slow, many folks have a need to get it done and on the road yesterday and things get skipped over.
First thing I'd do is get it indoors or under a tarp and off the grass. Given where Sherm has spent its career I'm pretty sure its gonna hate the wet winter weather and rust will run rampent in a heartbeat.

I'll let the mechanical folks talk to those important issues save for brakes, brake lines and tires. When your ready, maybe early spring, get the brakes done complete. Wait on new tires until you've got all the mechanicals done and your going to be driving with some regular use. New tires and parked for long periods is a waste of money.

A roof leak will ruin any interior work you do, That, done correctly, will save future headaches.

Looking forward to your build and we love photos........

Just my 2 cents

Richard

highdesertranger said:
I love it.  couple of points,  I would replace the Harmonic Balancer ASAP with a Fluid Dampner.  never ever never use quick start.  if the glow plug system doesn't work right,  instead of trying to repair the factory set up convert it to manual,  easy.  add a little synthetic 2stroke oil to the fuel your IP will thank you.  as far as the headlights I would go with Cibie's with the replaceable Halogen bulbs.  also a headlamp relay upgrade makes a huge difference.  I would repaint with military paint it's cheap and available in rattle cans for touch up.

I like the 6.2  though many disagree.  highdesertranger

All good ideas. I guess by manual glow plugs you mean a button push system? I suppose somewhere along the line it got changed over because it has a glow plug button in the console that's independent of the ignition. It can be turned on without the key even being in the ignition. I've heard of the 2stroke oil thing. It seems everyone has their own recipe for success when it comes to diesel additives so on my drive back I tried a few of them. I filled up maybe 3 or 4 times (only a 25 gallon tank....?) and I seafoamed it once and put in a very generous helping of diesel conditioner in at each fill up minus the seafoam fill up. It's a balmy 30 degrees here in PA right now and it started right up for me.

One of the things that concerns me just a little is I'm fairly certain one of the lifters is either stuck or blown. I can hear a very faint tapping at idle, and I mean VERY faint, but it does become more pronounced as the engine revs. As I was driving it back, early on in the trip I noticed that the tapping/"chugging" (sort of sounded like the engine was jake-braking) was getting worse. I decided to pull over and I noticed that the oil was low. I put in some 15-40 as suggested by the internet, since I didn't know what was in there I'm going to be changing it ASAP so I'm not too concerned if I mixed weight for a few hundred miles. The noise almost completely went away. That leads me to believe that it's a lifter since if it was a fuel injection problem that wouldn't have changed anything, and I would think that me aggressively adding fuel treatment and seafoam would have at least provoked a response from a stuck or clogged injector in some noticeable way. It did end up drinking a fair amount of oil, but then it abruptly stopped needing oil in the last 3-400 miles of the trip. I guess it was just really low? Not really something I'm happy about, but it doesn't seem to have hurt it. When I checked it before I bought it I thought the oil was very dark but it wasn't low. Strange for sure. I always check oil on level ground after the engine has been off for 10 minutes at least and I double check so I'm very certain I checked correctly. 

Anyone you'd suggest for the military paint in particular? The same thing actually occured to me. I'd love to do it that sort of flat tan desert color; I think that would look nice. 

Thanks