Medford authorized churches to offer car camping for homeless on their parking lots

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Medford law requires the church to have restrooms open all night before they can allow campers and has a minimum spacing between overnight campers. At most 6 spaces per church. Campers must leave during the day.

Medford also has about 100 tiny houses, with a waiting list to get in.

The homeless population staying illegally by the Bear Creek Greenway (bike path) has cause at least half a dozen fires in the past year.

I can't see any possible hassles with this policy...hopefully they will actually use, and not abuse the open restrooms.....I would hate to step in a pile on my way to worship on Sunday Morning, or have to evict the participants in the morning, to free up the parking lot for church functions.....WOW !

I guess that will mean having to keep the church open all the time. That could be a problem. The church could be burglarized and whether the homeless did it or not it would be a problem that wouldn’t be put up with.

WanderingRose said:
I doubt they would leave the church lot untended overnigh, when this will occur, and may use porta potties rather than letting people into the church.

I can't see any reason the church would have to remain open. They just inform local police to add a  patrol a couple of times a night to be sure no one is building a bonfire or trying to break into the church. Otherwise someone from the church checks in once a day to make sure campers (parkers?) have left by the required time.

This is a trend, with several "safe parking" areas existing in southern California for several years now. Santa Monica, San Diego and Santa Barbara that I know of. The ones that are 24/7 separate the men from women. They know if that isn't done they end up with a bunch of pimps and hookers and drug dealers.