Mechanical question

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update: My van is at the shop as we speak, my rotors need replacing as well as my break pads and the tierod on the driver side but I will replace both, waiting for any more bad news....

I want to add that I am so greatful for this forum and a the ability to ask, and have some idea what was wrong so I wouldn't be taken over a hurdle for things that might not be needed, I was able to sound like I knew a little something, which I think keeps mechanics honest! but I trust this mechanic anyway as he is a neighbor where my shop is at.....

Not trying to high jack the thread. But found some similar surprise repairs myself. Replaced power steering pump that was leaking, but had to use die to confirm the leak before did that. Replaced cv axle rubber boot. Now getting a rattle that was not there before. Mechanic investigating but thinks it's a linkage on the anti-sway bar. -- everything was fine, told myself a month ago. Approaching $1000 for repairs.

This stuff happens. Be prepared with some cash savings.

when front steering parts are replaced you always need an alignment afterwards. most steering boxes in use today should not be adjusted. if there is excessive play the box needs to be rebuilt the internal bushings are worn. on many other cars and trucks made today they have rack and pinion steering there is no adjustment on these. highdesertranger

Final note. Many items have shim kits. Calipers have then. Antisway bar has them. Basically all the small parts that break-rust-wear away when you get service on the major systems. Lots of times you are not told this when you do your own stuff. You have to be aware to ask and get it.

Latest posts