Maybe I'll get a Suburban instead of a van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thunder Dan

Reaction score
These vans I see are all so expensive. So I started looking at Suburbans and Yukons. Wow, there are so many of these things available, the prices are much lower, at least 25%-30% lower for similar year/mileage on Express and Savanas. You can get them with 4WD and a sun roof, so you can go anywhere and have plenty of ventilation. Almost all of them already have roof racks, that would help to camouflage solar panels. Because these things are so ubiquitous, it seems like it would go almost unnoticed. I know the inside height will be much lower, but I don't plan on spending lots of time in the vehicle other than sleeping and driving, and a little bit of cooking. It seems totally doable.

Thoughts?

I love Suburbans. I had a 1966 4x4. but I am partial to the straight axle. don't like that independent 4wd. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
I love Suburbans.  I had a 1966 4x4.  but I am partial to the straight axle.  don't like that independent 4wd.  highdesertranger

Is there something unreliable about the independent 4wd or is it just a preference?

I like Suburbans and have had some of the same thoughts that you voice.  Just checking and comparing them to similar vans it seems you can get more bang for your buck with them.     I totally dislike power windows and locks and push button or shift on the fly 4 wheel drive.  If going the suburban route i'd like late '70s to mid '80s, .good V8, 3/4 or 1 ton 4x4 with lock out hubs. If you remove everything except the front seats I wonder how much room is in one......then the right welder can raise the roof by adding parts from other vehicles...some of those '50s, '60s, & '70s cars had hoods as big as vw's!  If only I could weld!

Happy Hunting    Texas Jbird

There's the interior height issue but if that's not an issue it's a good option, I would opt for the 73-86 but it's personal preference. Obviously those older suburbans draw attention unless they look stock, not too clean and not too beat.
If you are considering a suburban have you also considered a regular cab long bed pickup with a topper either tall or cab height? Chassis wise they are the same as a suburban but you can pick your roof height. The newer suburbans do not have floors even close to being flat once you get all the crap out of the way.

"Is there something unreliable about the independent 4wd" well basically the short answer is YES. just crawl underneath and look. look at every part that moves, with a independent 4wd there is a boat load of parts that move. eventually all those parts wear out. a strait axle 4wd has far fewer moving parts. so you can figure it out, do you want a complicated vehicle with lots of parts that are going to wear out or do you want a super simple vehicle. the choice is yours. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
"Is there something unreliable about the independent 4wd"  well basically the short answer is YES.  just crawl underneath and look.  look at every part that moves,  with a independent 4wd there is a boat load of parts that move.  eventually all those parts wear out.  a strait axle 4wd has far fewer moving parts.  so you can figure it out,  do you want a complicated vehicle with lots of parts that are going to wear out or do you want a super simple vehicle.  the choice is yours.  highdesertranger

I see how that can definitely be something to weigh carefully. Thanks.

minimotos95 said:
There's the interior height issue but if that's not an issue it's a good option, I would opt for the 73-86 but it's personal preference. Obviously those older suburbans draw attention unless they look stock, not too clean and not too beat.
If you are considering a suburban have you also considered a regular cab long bed pickup with a topper either tall or cab height? Chassis wise they are the same as a suburban but you can pick your roof height. The newer suburbans do not have floors even close to being flat once you get all the crap out of the way.

A camper shell on a pickup is something I will need to think about too. Thanks!

The advantage of the bigger stationwagons like the 'Burb are their length.  Even I could lay out fully in one with the mid and rear seats removed.  Shorter stationwagons like my old 4X4 Dodge Ramcharger were too short.  Pass through requires some agility, which we older fatter folks may lack.  And being basically the full size Chevy truck platform parts availability is great.  If you wanted to get a TT later, towing wouldn't be a problem.

If you really scour the junk yards, and Craig's List, they used to make a TV top type raised roof for the 73 - 80s Suburbans. That would give you probably 8'' extra head room. The units that had them were made by the same custom shops that make conversion vans, so they were similar inside - 4 captains chairs and a third row bench seat.

Another option if you'r thinking this route are the 4 door Bronco's. They were custom made Centurion - a conversion van company. They were typically built on Forrd 1 ton trucks and many had 7.3 diesels. I've seen nice ones for not to much money. I've also seen people ask ridiculous amounts for them because they're "special". If you google 4 door bronco you'll find all kinds of info - including they're own forum.

I think if you're going this route the most comfortable and maneuverable would be a regular cab pickup with a tall topper. You can then build the interior to your liking. You do loose the ability to easily go from bed to driving away without getting outside for the most part, but you can take the windows between the topper and cab out and have a boot built - just remember that on a pickup on rough roads the bed and cab move somewhat independently so you'll need to account for that twisting motion.

Nothing wrong with independent front axle 4x4. Hell. I have independent rear axle in my truck too! Love it!

well I have to respectfully disagree. if a part isn't there it won't wear out. I see no way around this. if you have one I would like to hear it. how old is your vehicle? how long do you expect to own it? I do not cycle my vehicles I recycle(rebuild) them. for the price of total rebuilding a 4wd independent front end I could buy a whole truck. highdesertranger