Maxxair install with vhb tape?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratfink56

Reaction score
Tried searching this but came up empty. Getting ready to install a roof fan.  Has anyone used vhb tape for this purpose?
 My thinking is that solar panels are being mounted with this tape so it should work. I would use self leveling sealant as done in a screw install. I'd rather not run a bunch of screws through the roof.

I haven't tried it but I know vhb tape. If you have a nice smooth and very clean surface I am sure it will work. Metal roof, for sure. If you have a powdery old rubber roof, maybe not

Anyone who is mounting solar panels with VHB tape alone is hopefully not aware of the panels that have come off roofs doing it with VHB tape alone. If they come off, they come off at speed on the highway, with other drivers behind you.

Saying that, if I trusted the install process(what iTripper wrote), I think a maxxair install would be fine. Best of luck!

The fault has to be in the surface preparation.

Genuine VHB is certified for skinning skyscrapers.

One issue is roofs are often curved slightly and many have ribs so you might not get full surface contact. The other is that it would make it more difficult to remove in the future. You already have a big square hole in the roof, a handful if tiny ones around it won't make a big difference.

I did mine with VHB tape. I really didn't want to be drilling all those holes in the roof of my van. I have a Ford Transit. VHB has been holding great for the last 35K miles or so. I don't think the fan is going anywhere. Preparation is key. And a flat surface would work better. I did also use some 3M 5100 on the inside to seal it. I don't think I could pry the fan out if I wanted to without doing some damage.

Also. All VHB tape is not created equal. I used the 3M brand. But I also went with the one that was a little thicker. I can't remember which one I used. But a little research on amazon should give you some good choices. Don't buy the cheap stuff. It is just too thin to work with. The thicker tape gives you something to work with and something for the fan to really stick too.

I used 3M 5952 on mine, and it's still there a year later.
Using the same to mount my solar panels tomorrow.