Mattress Options

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChickadeeJP

Reaction score
I am going to be tent camping and need something I can sleep on comfortably. I am small, 5ft and 105lbs, and I prefer firm mattresses. I hate the big blow up air mattresses and my hammock stand idea seems like it will not work out. I found a book about tent and car camping and it mentioned self inflating sleeping pads. I don't know how to go about picking one, where is best to buy one, and any other options there might be for sleeping on comfortably in a tent.

Thanks!

I car camp in my Prius a lot. Initially I tried one of the 'self-inflating' sleeping pad and didn't like it by itself. They are still a form of an air mattress. What I did was to take a sleeping bag and put the sleeping pad inside the sleeping bag. I turned the sleeping pad inside out because I didn't want to sleep on the nylon side of the bag. I then inflated the sleeping pad about 70%. The purpose of the pad being to smooth out the lumps. I find this to be rather comfortable.

The Thermarest brand makes very good pads! I'd also look at REI brands. The key thing to the self-inflating is they have insulation in them so they will keep you warm where an air mattress will be a nightmare in the cold. They are also easily adjustable so you can make it harder or softer.

I've been sleeping on a self-inflating in my van for the last few years and don't plan to sleep on anything else.

mpruet said:
I car camp in my Prius a lot.  Initially I tried one of the 'self-inflating' sleeping pad and didn't like it by itself.  They are still a form of an air mattress.  What I did was to take a sleeping bag and put the sleeping pad inside the sleeping bag.  I turned the sleeping pad inside out because I didn't want to sleep on the nylon side of the bag.  I then inflated the sleeping pad about 70%.  The purpose of the pad being to smooth out the lumps.  I find this to be rather comfortable.

I saw your comment on this when I searched the forums and I didn't quite get it now, but that makes a lot of sense, thank you! Make it less lumpy and a little warmer. Does yours feel less like being on a waterbed than the big air mattresses? I hate trying to get up from one of those and connecting with the hard ground underneath.

akrvbob said:
The Thermarest brand makes very good pads! I'd also look at REI brands.

Do you have a thermarest? That is one brand the book I have talked about and was mentioned in a few other posts on here. I wish we had an REI here! I used to work at one in Chicago and it was always great, though a lot more expensive than I could afford most of the time. I was looking them up on their site last night as I try to do a bit of research before asking questions.

ChickadeeJP said:
I saw your comment on this when I searched the forums and I didn't quite get it now, but that makes a lot of sense, thank you! Make it less lumpy and a little warmer. Does yours feel less like being on a waterbed than the big air mattresses? I hate trying to get up from one of those and connecting with the hard ground underneath.

No - it feels like a normal mattress.  Since I camp in a Prius I have very limited space.  I decided that if it got really cold I could use the sleeping bag as a sleeping bag on top of the 'self inflatable' rather than as a mattress cover for the inflatable, and that way give it a dual purpose.

Do you know how thick yours is? I am trying to look at some options online to start.

This one is PVC and phthalate free, which is a big deal for me because I am chemically sensitive. Another one by the same company. Hopefully those links work as I am rusty on this type of forum. A Thermarest one that looks smooth. I was hoping to stay under $50.

Most REI and a lot of other larger camping stores will have their inflatable mattresses available to try out, either in store or rent for a weekend.

There are two kinds of camping sleeping pads:
  1. Blow up camping air mattress, either lung powered, hand or powered air pump.  Get the kind with insulation inside or put it inside a cheap sleeping bag.  I have used one inside a cheap $3 garage sale sleeping bag in temperatures down to -10ºF.  You could also put a quilt or thick blanket over the top to insulate you from the cold.
  2. Self inflating sleeping pad.  These inflate when a valve is opened and you add more air to get a firmer mattress.  The foam inside insulates.  Backpacking ones are smaller, thinner, and lighter than car camping models.  I have not used these but have friends that love them.
 -- Spiff

ChickadeeJP said:
I am going to be tent camping and need something I can sleep on comfortably. I am small, 5ft and 105lbs, and I prefer firm mattresses. I hate the big blow up air mattresses and my hammock stand idea seems like it will not work out. I found a book about tent and car camping and it mentioned self inflating sleeping pads. I don't know how to go about picking one, where is best to buy one, and any other options there might be for sleeping on comfortably in a tent.

Thanks!

Before I got old & fat, I backpacked quite a bit, tried an endless variety of pads & padding. The best one I found (for me) was a 2" thermarest. These come in various thicknesses. Back them, 2" was the thickest. It helps to unroll it and leave the valve open, then let it sit for a while, letting the foam expand fully. You can also add more air by blowing it up, then lie on your side & slowly vent out some of the air until you get the support just so. Weighs a few pounds, but was well worth it. Rolled up into a 6-8" think roll.

We have a double Thermorest that we bought in 1996. We've used it 8 days in the last two weeks and no matter how much we abuse it, it won't die.

Since we got a bit older, we now use a memory foam mattress topper with the Thermorest for the last 3 years. Very comfortable for bad old backs and it is adjustable.

One of the benefits of the two pieces is that we can easily pull the mattresses out of the van and use them in the tent if we choose.
Ted

I car (Prius) camp and the thickest thermarest barely fits lengthwise, but works well, as the previous posters all have said. It's more than $50 though... The 2" is $90. Thermarest makes lots of different styles but you'll want to spend more than what you have budgeted. Even though you are petite, you have to watch the width. Many of the lower priced are 20-22" wide. I wanted wider so I had to buy a bigger size (25" Large).

I'm a larger, heavier person but I really like the Big Agnes System sleeping bags and inflatable pads.

They are NOT cheap.

They are around $200-$300 depending on what you need or want.

The thin inflatable sleeping pad inserts into the 'bottom' of the sleeping bag, and then I also use a thin foam pad and/or a cot under me.

They sell various sizes and degrees of sleeping bags. These are not one-size-fits-all bags.

The inflatable pad is held in place under you so you dont slide off of it, and it has an upgraded inflation valve that is easy to use, not like the cheap vinyl inflation valve on a regular air mattress.

On warmer nights I just sleep on top of the bag with a lightweight blanket.

I sleep like a baby!

http://www.bigagnes.com/Gear/Sleeping-Bags/Big-Agnes-System-Bags

This one is about your size:

http://www.bigagnes.com/Lulu-15_2

I think I'd smother in a cocoon sleeping bad. Surely I'm not the only one that moves around in their sleep. I'm always moving my legs and it seems that would severely restrict movement. How do others deal with that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the past 5 years or so, we've only used the sleeping bags while tenting in below 25F weather. Otherwise we use our king size down quilt with flannel sheets. Sometimes we use a light thermal blanket between the sheets and the quilt. Works fine and dandy.
Ted

Cammalu said:
I think I'd smother in a cocoon sleeping bad. Surely I'm not the only one that moves around in their sleep.  I'm always moving my legs and it seems that would severely restrict movement.   How do others deal with that?

The last time I slept in a sleeping bag, I was 17. I have hip issues, even back then, and sleeping in too restrictive of a place makes them dislocate. If I were to try to bring my knees up and meet resistance in front and behind, my hip will start to dislocate. Super painful! I'm going to just bring some old blankets I have on hand and wrap the pad in one and use another. I really can't afford to buy more than I absolutely need right now.

tx2sturgis said:
They are around $200-$300 depending on what you need or want.
 Those look really nice, and I appreciate you providing links, but there's no way I could afford one of those. I am working with what I have on hand right now. Also, see my comment about my hips. I don't think I could sleep in a snug sleeping bag and be able to walk the next day. I had a comment with a couple self inflating pads linked, so I will likely go with one of those plus some old blankets and things I have on hand.

tx2sturgis said:
Ok....yeah sometimes the budget gets in the way...I DO understand that...

Yeh, I'm trying to do this as cheaply as possible so that I can earn money selling used books through Amazon as we travel. I have a Class A but can't afford to get it all set to roll, which would be preferred. I found some pads at Meijer today but none look as good as the ones I linked earlier. Just gonna keep rolling with it and things will work out. I still need a stove and fuel, an oil change, an AC refill, and something for me to sleep on.

ChickadeeJP said:
Yeh, I'm trying to do this as cheaply as possible so that I can earn money selling used books through Amazon as we travel. I have a Class A but can't afford to get it all set to roll, which would be preferred. I found some pads at Meijer today but none look as good as the ones I linked earlier. Just gonna keep rolling with it and things will work out. I still need a stove and fuel, an oil change, an AC refill, and something for me to sleep on.

I bought one of these which I use in my little scamp.  It's cot-sized, a pleasant level of firmness, AND it folds into thirds.  Just thought I'd throw it out there for your consideration.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W67PJ4M/

Good luck.  -- Sharon