Mamma has a new ride!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sleep

Reaction score
Hi Guys and Gals!

I am so happy to introduce you to my new Van. (If the pic shows up!) I'm not sure if it is a she or a he, and as such it does not have a name yet. It is a 2001 GMC Safari with 116k well taken care of miles. The previous owner is 70 yrs old, ordered it band spanking new and had detailed maintenance records. I also had it checked by a mechanic (who did not charge!)  but hopes to get new business by providing great customer service. (Aamco Transmissions, Prescott Valley, Az.) Had new tires, new breaks and a towing package!

I am so excited to begin this journey towards living full time on the road and will have lots of questions as I move forward. Thanks to everyone on this forum who shared their automotive knowledge, it helped me make what I think was a very smart decision and she looks pretty awesome too!

New Van 3.jpg

Attachments

• New Van 3.jpg
    New Van 3.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 29
:) Hey Sleep,  Your ride looks good!  It has a roof rack too!   My '98 Safari has a "TV" hightop and I wish it was a flat roof.  My Mom is 87 and ordered this one new in "98, it had about 102,000k miles last NOV.  when I got it.
 What size engine does yours' have?  Will you be adding solar? 

Have fun with it :D

Jewellann

Gideon it is AWD, just trying to figure the layout now.

Txjaybird, 4.3 liter V6 and yes solar is one of my priorities, besides a bed!

Astros are pretty limited for layout unless you are VERY short and can fit sideways. Bed along the drivers side is your starting point.

Check out Jamie Dimon at Enigmatic Nomadic on YouTube. He's lived 5 years in an Astro. He can probably give you some great tips for making your new home cozy. Welcome !

Sent from my Alcatel_5044R using Tapatalk

It might be a safari..but you get the idea.

Gideon33w said:
Astros are pretty limited for layout unless you are VERY short and can fit sideways. Bed along the drivers side is your starting point.

That's the direction I'm leaning, would like to build a sofa that slides out into a bigger size.

Hi Gypsy, yes I have noticed he has the Astro, good idea.

If you get a manual backseat from a conversion van and shorten the legs you can have a couch that becomes a bed. Though it will be a little short that is fixable.
You can probably get one for free from a member gutting a conversion van. Low interior height is why you have to figure a way to shorten the legs though.

Did you come up with a name yet?

Gideon33w said:
If you get a manual backseat from a conversion van and shorten the legs you can have a couch that becomes a bed. Though it will be a little short that is fixable.
You can probably get one for free from a member gutting a conversion van. Low interior height is why you have to figure a way to shorten the legs though.

But Gideon I would loose storage under wouldn't I?

Gypsy Clipper said:
Did you come up with a name yet?

No not yet, but I keep calling it a her!

Sleep said:
But Gideon I would loose storage under wouldn't I?

Some. But the mechanism is mostly built into the sides so not as bad as you think. 
Either way, building out a van is all about compromise. 
The more elaborate you get the more weight and space lost typically.

Latest posts