Making the vehicle more cozy/homey?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Svenn

Reaction score
Sorry this question is kind of broad.  I'm almost done with my conversion of a hybrid SUV,  I crawled into the back, laid down, and just had this general feeling that it wasn't quite as cozy or 'homey' as I thought it would be... despite weeks of installing LEDs, sink, vanity cabinet, etc.  It still felt like I had just thrown a blanket in the back of a car lol.  Maybe the mattress needs to be softer? Maybe I should have a furry duvet cover? Or maybe it's just psychological and I need more junk hanging around on the walls.  Any tips?

May recommendation might be simple, but just something small for your home. An item you saw everyday, a picture, a vase, or a monumental. olllllllo

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Old VW's had a bud vase that could be mounted to the dash. It takes 30 days to form a habit so maybe time will help.

Add some decor like you would at home; think of what makes a house feel homey to YOU and modify it for your vehicle. Curtains in your favorite color or theme. Add a stuffed animal if you still have a favorite one. Cover the ceiling in a pretty light-weight wall hanging or fabric you like. Put some pictures up on the cabinet doors. The limit is your imagination.

^^^ Agree with above thoughts.
On a smaller scale, do similar things that you might do in a S&B or apartment to make it your style.

I added some brass items, a small table lamp, wood framed photo's on the wall.  The more time you spend inside the more those things will come to mind. Or are you in a hurry? :huh:

I have a houseplant. An Aluminum Plant (Pilea species). It grows very slowly and it doesn't need much light, so I have it on my console. I water it ... well ... whenever I remember to. :)

Even a splash of color will do wonders for a van. If you have all natural walls, some poster with red in it, or paint a bed in a bright colors. Lime green goes great with dark grey.

I have pictures, trinkets, momentos and cards that remind me of good times and loved ones, colors and textures that please me on my bed, soft/warm LED lights, wood tones and colors that are "homey" on the cabinets, mirrors that visually expand the space, and make an effort to keep "stuff" that doesn't make me happy out of sight in cabinets or storage.

Let's see a pic Karl. That sounds nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Florida boondocker said:
i take my favorite blankie

Me too. Besides being homey, it is useful. When I'm driving, I love to keep my feet warm, but also have the window open for cool air on my face.

If you have any floor space, a small decorative rug.

Small pictures or dangly ornaments that mean something to you.

I really don't wanna put pictures of my dangly ornaments on the wall... I think that is best left to the seedier side of this interweb.

I threw a TV in my rig today. I like to watch some Netflix as a form of pure escapism, and watching it on my phone, although it kind of worked, just isn't the same as watching an actual TV. It's thoroughly amazing to me how much more "homey" my place now feels that I've had my dose of escapism properly. I've almost forgotten that I'm parked at a Walmart…

I think the decor (Your personal style) is just as important as solar panels. I learned that the hard way. I spent so much time and money getting my rig to be efficient and bypassed the decor. I never felt comfortable in it until I broke down and bought some paint and fabric. Such a simple thing, but not doing it was painful on an emotional level.

The dog and/or cat hair makes it homey to me. Homes w/o pet hair seem too..... sterile, to me.

I agree with the others, this is after all, your home. It should be treated as such. Comforters are a great way to add color and comfort, Wal-Mart and even Ross Stores have some nice "Cheap" ones! 

Have fun with it!

Svenn said:
  I'm almost done with my conversion of a hybrid SUV,  I crawled into the back, laid down, and just had this general feeling that it wasn't quite as cozy or 'homey' as I thought it would be

It's all still new and unlived in. In a short time, after living in it day after day and applying your scent, it will have that homey feel. It'll hit you one day after a hike or after leaving WalMart... you climb in and very clearly you hear the voice in your head say, "I'm home." Avoid the trinkets (clutter) for a while, or perhaps use something meaningful (souvenir or memento) or useful if you must "decorate" your small space.