Making Coffee

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a french press and I've used it regularly. Never tried it cold pressed.

I use more than anything a Melita 'Pour-over' coffee brewer which uses cone filters that use 1-3 Tbsp of coffee. Bring it up under a boil, or whatever you prefer then pour and serve. It's great for one person to make their own cup but not so well for others to share because it's single serve.

Oh and by the way! Hello again Cheaprvliving!
The last I talked back in 2012 I was learning about buying a rv and being independent. Well, I've met my first goal of being independent and living on my own in a small house.

I've bought Bob Well's book and have almost finished reading it and planning on taking a week, maybe two to try out the lifestyle he mentioned. This is going to be low-key because I don't have a trailer or truck. I will be sleeping out of a tent or in a Honda Civic. I believe this experience will better prepare me to handle my finances better.

Hi Jake, WELCOME BACK! Looking forward to hearing more about your adventures. :)
I'm leaning more towards the 8 cup French Press as I am more of a social creature. Coffee always seems better when shared with company.

You don't need equipment or hot water to make coffee. Put your coffee grounds and water in a clear plastic container, such as an empty soda bottle. Leave it overnight. Hey presto next morning you have coffee. Sip carefully with your lips, you won't get the grounds in your mouth. Besides the grounds are probably an extra dose of caffeine if you want more of that anyways. You may be able to get more coffee out of 1 batch of grounds, just by adding more water and leaving it sit again. When it gets too weak, add more grounds. That way you're squeezing every last drop of value out of the grounds.

If you want your coffee warm, put it in the window and wait for the sun to do the work. Same principle as making sun tea.

Thrift Store score today.....12 cup Coleman auto-drip coffee maker that heats on the stove....in new condition 5 bucks!!!..........

I love my stainless perc. but have looked at these a while just wouldnt part with the cash....all good things come to those who wait applies today!!!

CONGRATS Mike! Maybe this is why the word "LUCKY" is in front of your name? ;)

At last, a subject I know about.

As previously stated, the jet boil is awesome. It boils up like a pint of cold water in 3-4 minutes. Here it is:
http://www.amazon.com/Jetboil-Alumi...=UTF8&qid=1405825444&sr=8-4&keywords=jet+boil
I bought the large fuel can, its cheaper that way. I bought the french press, but I lost it and don't use it. Instead, I use
http://www.amazon.com/Maxwell-House...6&sr=8-2&keywords=maxwell+house+coffee+packet
This is so much easier than fooling around with loose coffee. I've use the single packs also, but these work better.
The best way is to set up the coffee pot the night before. The jet boil comes apart and fits in the cup, so it's a little hard to set up at first. I don't like doing it before my morning cup of coffee. Then, in the morning all I have to do is light the jet boil. Once the jet boil is lit, I'm careful not to lay back down, as I might fall asleep. When the water comes to a boil, I turn off the burner, add a coffee pack to the water, and put the lid on. I stir the water for about a minute or 2, then I pour into cup. You can't drink out of the jet boil cup, the metal is way too hot. Pour the coffee into a normal coffee cup (or yesterday's McDonalds coffee container).

Clean up is really easy. Take out the coffee pack and discard, rinse out the pot, dry, reassemble.

Best coffee I've ever had!

I would never use the battery to make stealth morning coffee. I'd really feel stupid if the van wouldn't start after that! Who want's to wait 20 minutes for coffee? I can get it from McDonalds faster than that. (I learned this from a girl I met who also lives in her van, with her 2 teen age sons).

Latest posts