Making a Backstrap Loom

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is really cool Lenny. What type of yarn (fiber content) did you use?

~angie

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

I took weaving at University many years ago. We explored a lot of looms including the various backstrap versions from different cultures. Recently I have been thinking it would be fun to do some weaving again. I was thinking of making an inkle loom but don't want to devote the storage space or weight to one. Then I remembered doing some tablet ie card weaving work on a backstrap loom. I think I will start out making some straps as those are always useful to have to securing items such as around sleeping bags, self inflating mattress, pet leashes and collars,curtain tie backs or tie down cords. Also for suspending the front edge of folding shelves. Fun way to add a personal touch of pattern and color including putting in letters for a name or message. Youtube is a good place to go for lessons. There is even a free app for designing patterns for the card weaving. The cards are literally cards with holes in the corners for the warp to thread through. They are handy because they create the shed openings for the shuttle to carry the weft though.

Yes, I've seen card-weavers at Viking-age re-enactments. :)

That really looks like fun. Come to YARC camp Lenny and teach me how.

I gotta go all the way to Nicaragua?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^ Learn from the experts. ;)

(I'm currently freezing in Fort Worth TX.)

Pretty nice here in Quartzsite Lenny. A bit of wind today but it’s ok.

I'm planning on Ft Worth for another three weeks or so, then a month in Tulsa, a month in Omaha, and a month in Cincinnati.

I'll likely be shivering the whole time. :)

[email][email protected][/email] said:
Cammalu, what is YARK?

Kenneth it’s YARC Camp. YARC stands for You Ain’t Right Club and somewhere there is a large thread dedicated to it. It started here then meandered over to another forum.

It’s just funny stuff and I recommend it as a fun read for anyone.

Some of us ended up getting together and camping together in Quartzsite last year and it continued on this year. We have a fun camp out here.

This shows a small portion of it with our fire pit which is lower and our campsite sign that can be seen from the air.

5fd48d1810a383cc90d5f1f0b80cccab.jpg

We have a flag that can be spotted from not too far off

d40000b681ce8e5c6a35bccddd566f62.jpg

People come and go and I think there might be about 15 of us right now. There are group dinners most every night and, of course, a campfire.

We have built our own on demand hot water shower this year and one of us takes trash to the dumpsters daily and gets whatever water is needed.

There is way too much laughing going on at the fire at night cuz we ain’t right.

Actually about half of the nuts are at the fire trying to broadcast live now.

We have a great bunch of nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk