Make subfloor of high density polyethylene instead of plywood

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Free Range Chicken

Reaction score
Hello everyone
dfd7c096077d986f4c4637bfbbc2d4ed.jpg

Yesterday I was wandering at Menard's and I saw a 4 by 8 feet sheet of what appeared to be a very hard sturdy plastic sheet. It was a quarter inch thick. It felt kind of heavier than a quarter inch of plywood. ..

Did some research and looks like some ppl call it starboard in the Marine environment.

I had the idea of using it as a floor instead of a plywood floor. the advantage would be worry free about liquid spills, a relatively less squeaky and noisy material, and it wouldn't bow, expand or contract like plywood does. .

Have anyone have had experience using it? Will it hold stiffly and securely wood bolts and or nails? ??? would it be a good idea to use it? ??
fffa4902461c9c828ab14ee2c517d200.jpg

I have not finished my conversation but one of the things that I like the least is my acx plywood floor. it bows when the Sun sits on it and it is very squeaky

Starboard is very nice stuff...one place you might be familiar with seeing it used is outdoor fish cleaning stations.

I've never seen it in 1/4" though...that's pretty thin. I'm guessing that 1/4" is used as a finish flooring over top plywood...I don't think it's substantial enough to serve as underlayment unless there's already a subfloor.

I'm curious what thickness plywood you're currently unsatisfied with, what it's sitting on, and how it's fastened?

Edit: nevermind, just looked up your build thread. I remember reading that about how you bowed it, re-wet and weighted, and thinking "hmmmm". Is that 3/4" ? Maybe just get some new stuff...

BradKW said:
Starboard is very nice stuff...one place you might be familiar with seeing it used is outdoor fish cleaning stations.

I've never seen it in 1/4" though...that's pretty thin. I'm guessing that 1/4" is used as a finish flooring over top plywood...I don't think it's substantial enough to serve as underlayment unless there's already a subfloor.

I'm curious what thickness plywood you're currently unsatisfied with, what it's sitting on, and how it's fastened?

Edit: nevermind, just looked up your build thread. I remember reading that about how you bowed it, re-wet and weighted, and thinking "hmmmm". Is that 3/4" ? Maybe just get some new stuff...
I was planning to put only a quarter inch because I already have a half inch insulation below.
I have not seen an outdoor cleaning station, but thanks for the answer! !

i used 3/4 inch plywood. i don't remember the numbers, but it was from HD or Lowes and has 7 ply. It screws on two 1x2's run the length of floor. They are glued and screwed to metal. 1/2 foil faced foam insulation between the 1x2. The the 3/4 is the floor. Now I can screw furniture & stuff to the plywood and not have a bunch of new holes through the metal. Stays flat. Stays quiet. Stays not too hot and not too cold.