Maintaining a workout routine

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am considering carrying a large-ish tent so I can do Yoga and stretching NOT in the sand and dirt. Right now I have a tiny cheap tent that I use to mark my campsite and put my solar oven and any overflow that I don't want to stow in my van when I am settled into a place for 2 weeks. It's work to stabilize a tall tent in the wind and it will clog up my van when I am carrying it. Seems like a compact tent will not hold up in the sun for over a season. Something sturdy like a large Clam tent would be great, but where to put it if I'm in a city. Maybe I need a outside-the-van rack, but that's $$.

Maybe get a cheap easy to put up nylon pop up style tent that is just big enough for what you need to exercise at Goodwill or Craigslist and put it up each day and take it down as part of your workout! Maybe just open the back doors of the van and use a tarp attached to them and laid under them and the van on the ground to form a temporary sheltered area? How about a homemade roof rack with a wooden deck, just don’t fall off!

Last edited:
I am considering carrying a large-ish tent so I can do Yoga and stretching NOT in the sand and dirt. Right now I have a tiny cheap tent that I use to mark my campsite and put my solar oven and any overflow that I don't want to stow in my van when I am settled into a place for 2 weeks. It's work to stabilize a tall tent in the wind and it will clog up my van when I am carrying it. Seems like a compact tent will not hold up in the sun for over a season. Something sturdy like a large Clam tent would be great, but where to put it if I'm in a city. Maybe I need a outside-the-van rack, but that's $$.
That's a great idea in case of inclement weather or if you just don't care for others watching. I never thought about having to mark your campsite with something too! That makes sense for day trips. I will look up clam tent. Thanks for all these tips!!

... I am fairly nuts about wanting to move... how do you all manage...
Glad you asked!
a)
Our Heelers are functionally constitutionally ferociously tremblingly unable to stay still for more than four-point-two seconds.
Accordingly, a leash comes off the rack-o'-leashes by the escape-hatch, and somebody gets hitched, and the walkies commence.
That is one.
We have more than one Heeler, so the procedure is repeated a few more times.
Apparently, far beyond our limited ability to understand -- or resist -- the command 'Outside, Boss!' is transmitted telepathically by the quivering members of our crew.
Must. Obey. Canines.
b)
We intentionally designed our rig with tiny interior dimensions, because our intention was/is to be outside playing, instead of inside looking out... wistfully.
And this's another reason for our tiny windows... 'be' outside instead of looking outside through magnificent yuge 'picture' windows.
c)
We engineered our ExpeditionVehicle with fond childhood memories -- or swiss-cheesed adult memories of death-defying childhoods -- 'swinging' on the monkey-bars.
Accordingly, we included a climbing-n-hanging apparatus as part of our permanent porch.
And apparently, we always wanted to be firemen, so we occasionally dismount by grabbing some portion of the structure, jumping with gleeful abandon, flinging our flying feet wide and open, as we slowly relax the grip and spiral into a perfect two-point.
Oddly, this causes no end of alarm to the straights.
Portraits here:
https://vanlivingforum.com/threads/expeditionvehicle-build.44908/#post-576110

I do a regular daily weight lifting. I drink plenty of fluids to force me to get out of bed early in the morning and also a number of times throughout the day to get up out of a low chair. I believe that is what they call interval training? Great for building leg muscles, and excellent for balance control.

a 1 gallon jug full of water weighs 8lbs. Of course the weight decreases over time as the contents get consumed but lifting them does strengthen the wrist and hands as well as the lower and upper arms, shoulders and back. I store them down low to get a regular, full body workout 🏋️‍♀️

Last edited:
Glad you asked!
a)
Our Heelers are functionally constitutionally ferociously tremblingly unable to stay still for more than four-point-two seconds.
Accordingly, a leash comes off the rack-o'-leashes by the escape-hatch, and somebody gets hitched, and the walkies commence.
That is one.
We have more than one Heeler, so the procedure is repeated a few more times.
Apparently, far beyond our limited ability to understand -- or resist -- the command 'Outside, Boss!' is transmitted telepathically by the quivering members of our crew.
Must. Obey. Canines.
b)
We intentionally designed our rig with tiny interior dimensions, because our intention was/is to be outside playing, instead of inside looking out... wistfully.
And this's another reason for our tiny windows... 'be' outside instead of looking outside through magnificent yuge 'picture' windows.
c)
We engineered our ExpeditionVehicle with fond childhood memories -- or swiss-cheesed adult memories of death-defying childhoods -- 'swinging' on the monkey-bars.
Accordingly, we included a climbing-n-hanging apparatus as part of our permanent porch.
And apparently, we always wanted to be firemen, so we occasionally dismount by grabbing some portion of the structure, jumping with gleeful abandon, flinging our flying feet wide and open, as we slowly relax the grip and spiral into a perfect two-point.
Oddly, this causes no end of alarm to the straights.
Portraits here:
https://vanlivingforum.com/threads/expeditionvehicle-build.44908/#post-576110
I love this!!! You are a wonderful writer too. I am not sure I will be getting another dog, but I will be walking anyway. I love to...

Attachments

• 20221012_070559.jpg
    20221012_070559.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
I love this!!! You are a wonderful writer too. I am not sure I will be getting another dog, but I will be walking anyway. I love to...
About three decades ago, we had a Beagle pup.
"Scooter', named in honor of ice-dancer -- and cancer survivor -- Scott Hamilton.
A half-hour walk could cover six feet.
Darn dog became blissfully intoxicated at every twig, every pebble.
Inevitably, sometime during the first minute, a 'walk' turned into a 'drag'.
Could you volunteer to hold the leash, to walk somebody else's pooch?
And grab a couple others while you are in the neighborhood?
We do this... but only because we enjoy being in the midst of a boiling maelstrom of canine independency.

Maybe. Right now I am fine dogless and enjoy simply patting the neighborhood doggies. My beagle mix was named the mayor of our road as he would do the famous beagle yowl our entire walk--2miles-- which would drive me nuts, but apparently didn't bother the neighbors. They would also help look for him on the occasion he would slip off his leash or out the door and immediately bolt. He was a rescue and good natured but I probably wasn't the greatest mommy. I tried everything to help him but I am fairly certain his previous owner may not have loved him too much (or worse). Anyway we loved him for sure but he had a special way of being in the world.